Texas in Dec. Bird Hunting?

LuLu_01

Texas in Dec. Bird Hunting?

Post by LuLu_01 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:15 am

Looks like I may be heading to Dallas, Tx mid December. My daughter who is in the Navy (stationed now in San Diego, CA) is planning on getting married then!!!

Of course, my only daughter's wedding is the first priority, BUT, I thought while I was out there I may be able to get some hunting in??

Any replies as to whether the possibility exists would be appreciated.

Donna

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:02 pm

i would ask this question under the general chat thread. i think this thread gets ignored a bit. i lived in dallas for awhile. i know there is some big time bird hunters there, but i didn't get a chance to go out hunting when i was there.

LuLu_01

Post by LuLu_01 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion!

bird

Post by bird » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:35 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

blanked

Post by blanked » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 am

my suggestion is that your going to have to drive at least 2 hours one way west from dallas to Olney. Throckmorten is a little further but more opportunites. I would key in on those areas. If your willing to go to Throckmorten i can give you a place that charges day hunts if you have your own dog. Or call Charlie Rose in Seymour for guided hunts.
His web site is Wildrose Kennels in Seymour tx

LuLu_01

Post by LuLu_01 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks bird and blanked....good info to know. At least, I'll have some starting point to do a little ressearch!

Thanks for all the replies.

Donna

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:37 pm

i don't think that you are going to have to drive that far unless you wish too. there is good hunting north of dallas up to sherman/denison area. i lived in rockwall when i was there (20 mi. east of dallas) and just NE of rockwall there is small towns with good hunting land. small towns such as farmersville and greenville. i met a guy that hunted in quitman, tx, when i lived there. quitman is about 10-15 miles E of rockwall. from dallas you are talking 45 minutes to an hour tops.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:40 pm

i would do still ask this question on another thread as well. i would tell you the guy's name in quitman, but i can't remember. he was a Physician's Assisstant (PA) there in quitman. big time bird hunter, but can't think of his name for you to contact.

buzzbait

Post by buzzbait » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

I live in wills point tx, about 45 miles east of dallas. I have lived here all my life (15 years) but have never seen any "wild" birds around here. Dad says there used to be some but most people around here agree the fireants killed them off. I raise my own birds, but to hunt wild birds ive always had to go to my deer lease in Coleman (3 hour drive from here).

hub Never heard that much about those places but I live in a small town were quail hunting and bird dogs aren't that big, would like to check out those places though.

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:10 pm

I second Charlie Rose

http://www.texasquail.com/

LuLu_01

Post by LuLu_01 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Looks like East of Dallas maybe not the place to go. Thanks to all the Texans for the heads up!!