Late season pheasants in SD

CZShooter

Late season pheasants in SD

Post by CZShooter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Well I arrived back home safe and sound from a late season pheasant hunt in Wessington. The drive back to Sioux Falls on Saturday was a lot easier than the drive out to the lodge on Wednesday. That one was REAL scarry, but it sure will give me some fun stories to tell.

At any rate, our destination was the Pheasant City Lodge near Wessington. We were very thankful the directions on the website were precise on distances and landmarks. Had they been more general, with the snow blowing as it was, we might still be looking.

Here is the lodge:

Despite its plain looks on the outside, the inside was quite nice and exceptionally functional. Here are a few photos of the accomodations:

The lodge is run by Kevin and Kristy Teveldal and their 5 sons. They are a delightful family and provided yet another reminder of why I love South Dakota. The people are just wonderful. And in case it needs to be said, the food was outstanding as well.

Of course, the major story of our trip was the blizzard that kept us in all day Friday and half of Thursday. I had always wanted to hunt in the snow, but as has been said before, be careful what you ask for. Here is what it looked like trying to drive around the ranch:

At any rate, when we did get to hunt, the results were nothing short of spectacular. The birds were bunched up by the hundreds in the shelter belts and woods lines, and the conditions made for some exciting shooting - both with the gun and with the camera. Here are some of the better pix of the bird hunting:

Also got a couple keepers of the dogs at work. Wish I would have been able to capture the eyes better, but I was not in the right position.

Not a huge fan of posed photos but this one includes the unfortunate coyote that zigged when he should of zagged so I figured it was worth a look. According to Kevin, taking that coyote (a female) probably saved dozens of pheasants.

Image[/img]
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:05 pm

Looks like a great time had by all!!! :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 pm

What are the two dogs?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CZShooter

Post by CZShooter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Actually Ezzy, they are both lab/shorthair crosses. I had never seen such a cross before but I can tell you they work exceptionally well. They point and retrieve and can bust cover and snow like nobody's business. The lodge owner breeds them and is doing quite well. Really nice dogs, and perfect for the task at hand.
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Nice action shots :!: Loved these

Stump

Post by Stump » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:02 am

CZShooter wrote:Actually Ezzy, they are both lab/shorthair crosses. I had never seen such a cross before but I can tell you they work exceptionally well. They point and retrieve and can bust cover and snow like nobody's business. The lodge owner breeds them and is doing quite well. Really nice dogs, and perfect for the task at hand.
When I was a kid in Michigan I got a lab/GSP cross he was an awsome dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:51 am

I had a friend that had a Lab/ Brit that hunted and pointed well but wouldn't retrieve. Figure that out for me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DKRick

Post by DKRick » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:50 am

Great Pictures.

littleking

Post by littleking » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:38 pm

thats beautiful!

CZShooter

Post by CZShooter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks all. It was cold but fun!
CZShooter

- Samuel Butler

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:33 pm

I was out in SD in early December around the Aberdeen area. The daily highs were 10-12 degrees and the wind was blowing 20-40 mph. I appreciate more now what you guys go through to hunt birds out there!!!!!