stocked pheasants with younger dog

ruffbritt4

stocked pheasants with younger dog

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 am

My dad and I just finished a week of grouse and woodcock hunting in Maine. The dog started pointing grouse and woodcock until we flushed them as the week went on.we each shot a few birds over his points. I told him that I think we should hold off on the stocked pheasants because we are trying to train him to hunt grouse and the dog crowded the birds the first few days. Do you think that the stocked pheasants will affect his training? It's his 2nd hunting season

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: stocked pheasants with younger dog

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Not of concern if you continue to train. Mine have to learn how to handle most upland game birds, it is good for them and you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Neil wrote:Not of concern if you continue to train. Mine have to learn how to handle most upland game birds, it is good for them and you.
Right on.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Train Train Train

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:03 am

In Richard Weavers "Grouse Dogs" book he advocates not hunting a dog on grouse until the second season and after they prove their steadiness/retrieve and desire on shooting preserves. The same format is any sound training philosophy, control the situation until they are broke then you can trust the dog to be honest and just hunt.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 pm

I hunt them from the time they are able to get around, training as we go. I would never waste one day of the few seasons they have, which is 10 - 12, if we are lucky. I have found most that say otherwise are dealing in theory they read somewhere.

Enjoy your dog, train and carefully consider the self-proclaimed experts.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Amen to Neil's post. But the difference often is whether you bought the pup to hunt or train.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:22 am

When I got my first pointing dog the folks who got me into pointing dogs always told me to stay away from the state stocked birds . Their reasoning was that the pumped out put & take birds give pointing dogs bad habits. Most recently I met someone who hunted his young dog (gwp) primarily on stocked birds. My observation of his dog was that the pup was kind of like a bull in a china shop. A great dog just kind of pushy I guess is my choice of words. I think she can become a great grouse & woodcock dog.She (imo) has what it takes Max being brought up on wild birds seems to flow better in the grouse woods .Cautious & in tune with his surroundings.