Intro instruction for quail hunting

RickB

Intro instruction for quail hunting

Post by RickB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 am

Short version:

Is there any books or videos one can suggest for giving the basics of quail hunting. What to look for in habitat in particular...but anything for someone who has never hunted quail before.

Long version:

I have a plant shutdown between Christmas and New Year's. Was thinking about taking a long weekend and heading to Missouri for Quail hunting. MO is not too far, and they have some state lands that apparently do OK at holding quail. So, I am starting my research to see if it is worth the effort. But I am starting at stage zero.

BTW, hunting with a pointing breed.

Thanks

RickB

AtTheMurph

Re: Intro instruction for quail hunting

Post by AtTheMurph » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:07 pm

In Indiana we do quite a bit of quail hunting. We hunt mostly thick fence rows between beans and corn fields, little wood lots, thickets, thorns, brambles. I guess the best explanation I would give is that anywhere you might suspect a rabbit could or would be is a good spot to look.

On public grounds I'd look for places near crops with cover.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Rick, Missouri has a few exrta birds this year. What part of the state are looking to visit? I live in the SW corner and could point you in the right direction if you are coming this way.We have a lot of CA in the state. Good luck.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:39 pm

AtTheMurph wrote:In Indiana we do quite a bit of quail hunting. We hunt mostly thick fence rows between beans and corn fields, little wood lots, thickets, thorns, brambles. I guess the best explanation I would give is that anywhere you might suspect a rabbit could or would be is a good spot to look.

On public grounds I'd look for places near crops with cover.
This

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I am doing something new this year and next. I am about finished with a small johnny house and I will have 20 quail in two weeks. The quail will be release on the property I am at. I just received my dog training permit from Fish and Game and it is good for two years. I also have the option to release on WMA(Wildlife Management Area) so long as I show that birds are disease free.
My penny worth.