North Dakota pheasant hunting (help)

ibbowhunting

North Dakota pheasant hunting (help)

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm planning on making a weekend trip to North Dakota over the thanksgiving long weekend with a friend, we both have young pointing dogs,i have never hunted wild pheasants, we will been staying around the Ashley area, we are mostly looking to work our young dogs on wild birds but if we could bag a couple that would be great, any advice where we could find some average bird numbers, would be great, I know the numbers are down I'm still going to give it a shot, its got to be better then sitting on the couch, we will mostly be hunt public land unless we get lucky and get permission to hunt some private land, Do you most run there dogs silent on pheasant's no bells or beepers?

Springer

Re: North Dakota pheasant hunting (help)

Post by Springer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 pm

2 weeks ago i ran a beeper on my gordon in point only mode. Did it affect the birds, didnt seem to any more than my GSP they all seem to move and not hold very good right now. Hunt the field edges early and late and work the cattails hard as they will run into those. There should be birds around there, a coworker has shot some in Forman which is quite a ways east of there.
Kevin

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I stayed in Wishek a few weeks ago which is north and west of Ashley. We didn't do so good by Wishek. Hunted around Ashley the last few days a got into pheasants not a lot but there was tons of corn still in. Found sharpies around there too.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 pm

I maybe heading out a day sooner then my friend, and may need a place to stay for one night, any sugguestion on a cheap/ clean hotel/motel between northern Minnesota and Ashley North Dakota, I'm just trying to get as much field time as I can

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Well got a couple hours of hunting today didn't see a bird, any help would be kindly taken, we are stay around ashley