Grouse and Woodcock in Missouri

northern cajun

Re: Grouse and Woodcock in Missouri

Post by northern cajun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 am

duckn66 wrote:SD, all of what you said makes sense as far as migration and feeding. Maybe I should head to MO next spring with my pups.

You should head to South Louisiana in the winter time. Its the bomb!!

December 19- January 31 best woodcock hunting in the world.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Went out today anticipating a good flight from the North wind last night. Less birds today than what we had on Saturday.
Still moved 4 birds and got 3 in 15 min. Then wandered around for a while longer checking spots to see where the birds might be.
I am hoping they will be more coming in during the next couple of nights.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 am

I've gone out specifically looking for Woodcock for the first time this year. I just feel lost when I've gone out after them. I mean, I find myself wanting to hunt quail cover because it feels unnatural and I have no idea where to look in the first place. When I went the day before Halloween I tried to hunt under the trees and in some thick stuff, but I found myself so thick into thorns that I couldn't hardly move! Took me about an hour to move a half hour. I just went home.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm

I do give some blood when hunting them but you shouldn't be in the cover so thick you can't walk. That is where the dog should be. I have shot several limits this year at Bois Darc. Shot birds at Talbot and other public places. After this afternoon's hunt, I have had 134 bird/dog contacts and seen over 90 woodcock. Bagged a bunch of birds even at 3 bird per day limit. Ton's of them moving through the Ozarks. But then again, there are ton's of quail at Bois D'arc and Talbot to chase around as well.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Kicked up a woodcock this weekend was on the edge of a wood lot near a pasture and bean field about mid morning

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Stoneface wrote:I've gone out specifically looking for Woodcock for the first time this year. I just feel lost when I've gone out after them. I mean, I find myself wanting to hunt quail cover because it feels unnatural and I have no idea where to look in the first place. When I went the day before Halloween I tried to hunt under the trees and in some thick stuff, but I found myself so thick into thorns that I couldn't hardly move! Took me about an hour to move a half hour. I just went home.

I dress for war!

Where we hunt if you don't have tough brush clothing you will bleed from many parts of your body. Then other days the hunting is easy.

If the dog is in the thick stuff someone has to flush em.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I know it, man, but it doesn't cost anything to bleed and those upland clothes are pricey. I just, in September, bought my first pair of boots. Paid $200 for them. I'm still choking on that one and only bought them because if they ever wear out I can return them and LL Bean will replace them for their entire lifetime. They keep me dry, but not very warm. In the past I've just brought several pairs of old shoes and socks. Haha. Get home, let them dry out for a couple days then hit the field again. I think maybe I need to just pony up and fork out the cash.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 am

If the dog is in the thick stuff someone has to flush em.
That is the advantage of hunting with a flushing spaniel. They do the work and you shoot over the top of the cover instead of having to wade in. ; )

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 am

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

Woodcock are a tough bird to evaluate with route surveys only as good as the route and the surveyor.
Be nice to see more than a leveling or NS trend tho.
U.P. birds were up a good deal this season but the migratory nature says timing plays into that notice.
Sandy no doubt influenced the east coast woodcock.
Hopefully, the Feds get it all correct.
I would think they are fairly close.
Hope also that everyone participates in the wing survey and Wingbees.....and uses judgement when hunting the little bogsuckers.
The bottom of a funnel is a poor window for evaluation.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Woodcock are still in Missouri. Hunted for a couple hours this evening and moved 11 birds and had approx 16 flushes. Really a nice evening. Got to meet Stoneface and had a nice hunt.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Had a blast, man. Beat the heck out of quail. Just wish my dogs would have known what the heck we were after so they would have gotten a few points.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Seen it happen before. They will get the hang of it when you can get them into birds again. The Spring Migration is a great time to put a dog into a ton of birds. Gives you something to dream of during the winter time.