Hows it look MT, ND

mm

Hows it look MT, ND

Post by mm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:52 am

Anyone know anything about how the sharptails and huns look this year. I think the winter was mild not sure how your spring was , does it look good this year. I am thinking I may make the trip out.
mm

fishvik

Re: Hows it look MT, ND

Post by fishvik » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:36 am

Nobody had answered you from that far east(MT ND), but here in south eastern Idaho sharptail wintered well and huns seemed to have done well. Sage grouse were real high on the strutting grounds I saw.

What part of Long Island are you from? As a kid I spent a large part of my summer at Rocky Point on the north shore.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am

We had a very mild winter and so far the spring has been pretty decent. I haven't been out in any fields or anything so haven't seen many birds. Usually the game and fish will submit some reports on bird numbers mid summer.

mm

Post by mm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks
I am from Copiague Long Island on the south shore. I hunted eastern MT 2out of last 3 years. I had to miss last year because of hurricane Irene. I am hoping to go out this year. Season is Sept 1 in MT and I think the 8th in ND. I never hunted ND. I was hoping that with mild winter conditions this past winter we would have a good year. I want to bring out my young dog who I have never hunted. She is 3 and it would be her first trip out there.
mm

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm

A buddy and I are making our first trip to Montana in October, sure hope that you guys have a good hatch and chick survival.
Going to focus on Sharptail and Huns.
Steve

mm

Post by mm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 am

Steve I see your from Kansas hows it look around there this year. I am also hoping to get there this year and try to find some quail.
mm

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 am

mm wrote:Season is Sept 1 in MT and I think the 8th in ND. I never hunted ND. I was hoping that with mild winter conditions this past winter we would have a good year.
mm,
Something to keep in mind is that lodging in that part of the world is getting pretty pricey with the oil/gas boom they are seeing in E. Montana and W. North Dakota. When we went through last summer, motels from Billings to Bismark were usually full every night and were not cheap if you could get one.

mm

Post by mm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 am

I have heard there is a oil boom out there. I plan on bringing my camper. Last time I went I stayed in hotels but they were far from where I hunted.
mm

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 pm

mm wrote:Steve I see your from Kansas hows it look around there this year. I am also hoping to get there this year and try to find some quail.
mm
It's really too early to tell. Have seen / heard an average number in some areas.
But until around August, it just a guess.
I thought last season looked good at this time last year, and it ended up the worst year I have seen in 25 years.
Steve

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

I am in eastern ND and have been seeing a nice steady rise in the hun population the last several years. Not what populations are further west but still a good sign particularly since the quantity of CRP is starting to diminish. Actually I'm not sure how big an issue CRP is with huns. I've come to believe most of it is too tall for their liking. I have several sharptail drumming sites that I generally check out in the spring but didn't get a chance this year so I'm not sure what the numbers were like. I'ts been reasonably dry this spring compared to the last few so reproduction and brood survival should be good.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

I am glad to hear you are seeing more Huns. I am hoping this is the year for Huns and Sharptails to have a strong comeback. Sounds like the weather is in our favor so far. I am thinking of hunting in ND on the way home from MT since the season starts later than MT.
MM

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 am

Definatley bring your camper. Im on the western side of ND in the middle of the energy boom. Hotels rooms, if any are available are between 250-300 a night. And be prepared for a lot of trucks blasting by you on the road.