iowa opener

HOLLYWOOD

iowa opener

Post by HOLLYWOOD » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:17 am

i went out yesterday and we managed to get out 6. had some decent dog work. we saw a lot more birds than everyone thought there were.

Big Dave

Re: iowa opener

Post by Big Dave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:42 am

I am glad you went out and worked for it, many would just sit home and believe that there were not any birds.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Nice bag, well done.

ATB
Dave.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 am

HOLLYWOOD wrote:i went out yesterday and we managed to get out 6. had some decent dog work. we saw a lot more birds than everyone thought there were.
Congrats! Kind of saw the same here, only a lot of runners in the cover we were in. Not sure if the numbers were unique to the spot we were at or not. A friend who visits the Iowa Outdoors forum said there was a lot of bellyaching on there about the numbers member Iowans saw. DNR friend says not to get too dissuaded by the roadside survey count. He says with as dry a year as we've had, the birds might not have been out in the mornings on the roads. Granted we're not like we use to be, but who knows? I was surpised that on Saturday AM, every public parcel on the road I was on, had a truck in the drive or lot. But Sunday AM, when I went out, it looked like I had the whole dang county to myself. :D

iowahntr4

Post by iowahntr4 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Similar here in Central Iowa. I only hunted till noon, shot 2 birds myself, but saw plenty of roosters. I went and read the Iowa Outdoors site and got sick of all the complaining. The birds aren't what they used to be, but in places with good habitat, there's still plenty to chase around.

HOLLYWOOD

Post by HOLLYWOOD » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 pm

iowahntr4 wrote:Similar here in Central Iowa. I only hunted till noon, shot 2 birds myself, but saw plenty of roosters. I went and read the Iowa Outdoors site and got sick of all the complaining. The birds aren't what they used to be, but in places with good habitat, there's still plenty to chase around.
iowa outdoors is a joke. got kicked off there once for calling everyone "greenhorns." over half of them sat on there couch for the opener and wonder why they didnt kill any? ya gotta wonder why i called them "greenhorns?"

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:25 pm

iowa outdoors is a joke
I agree 100%!

Maybe if all the people who sit around and complain would get off their butts and do something about it we could improve the population instead of just waiting for others to fix it for them.

bfred

Post by bfred » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:39 am

Nice to hear you Iowa folks havin' a descent opener.

We're lookin' forward to this weekend's opener in Illinois.

Couple new pups this year, one being my own and am looking
forward to see him soak up some expertise from some of
the seasoned dogs.

Thanks for the report neighbors!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:42 pm

terrylndrs wrote:
iowa outdoors is a joke
I agree 100%!

Maybe if all the people who sit around and complain would get off their butts and do something about it we could improve the population instead of just waiting for others to fix it for them.
I have found Iowa Outdoors to be probably the second best forum around. I admit they have people from all walks and some have some far out attitude problems but at least the forum is active and has some good stuff on it. ZDZoes bother me though that people always critize something rather than take part and make it better.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SettersForever

Post by SettersForever » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:43 am

Had a great time shooting birds in SE Iowa last weekend...got into @ 10 birds before noon - I wish I had practiced shooting more :lol: ... One farmer told me near where I live that he's seen a lot of birds...can you guess where I'll be this weekend? Nice pics btw.
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor