Opening of Pa Grouse Season

Ryman Gun Dog

Opening of Pa Grouse Season

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Pa Grouse and Woodcock season opened the 16th this year, and we had a great opening day, in fact we had a great opening week.
Three different sets of sportsman/friends participated in some fine Grouse and Woodcock hunting behind some fantastic dogs.
Opening day started out very windy and few birds were taken in the morning by anybody. Jonny one of my close friends wives took a liking to Daisy my Ryman Setter
female and Daisy got her a couple of real nice birds around 1:00 PM in the afternoon. Harold was up from Lancaster county with one of his female Weimars and with her daughter, my young Weimar Gretchen, they did some great work on Woodcock together, Lynn Dee owner of FireSide Kennels in VT was down with one of her prize female
Ryman Grouse dogs and her dog really put on a fine show with multi points for some great gunning. Eric Miller the head Biologist of the Pa State game lands and his father arrived later in the week and our Setters really put on a show for them, pointing 13 birds in 3 1/2 hours, only one of which was a Woodcock, Erics' young pointer did well earlier in the afternoon, having 3 nice finds. The 1st week we had over 28 Grouse and 14 Woodcock points, and for Pa thats a very serious opening week.
It was lonely on Sunday after everyone pulled out, I really did need the rest however.
RGD/Dave

Jonny telling Daisy that she now belonged to her.

Jonny thanking Daisy for a great afternoon hunt

The lady and her birds

The girls with a couple of their opening day birds

RGD with opening day Grouse at our neighbors camp

Potter/Tioga County Gods Country, come experience it for yourself
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

smilinicon

Re: Opening of Pa Grouse Season

Post by smilinicon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I enjoyed seeing the pics. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:21 am

THat is a nice week, Dave: Thanks for sharing.

Good variety of dogs and people.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 am

Rick,
It was a very good 1st week, lets hope it holds, my brother and his 84 lumber suppliers will be arriving mid Nov, hope to show them the same kind of week.
Harold will be back up from Lancaster County on the 12th to do some training/hunting with me, we need some more Woodcock contacts during those few weeks for our Weimar pups.

RGD/Dave