West Virginia

Pryor Creek Okie

West Virginia

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:44 pm

The Army is finally giving me a break and sending me to be an ROTC instructor in Charleston, West Virginia. I've tried to do some research, and I'm not finding many upland hunting opportunities in that area. I can't imagine there's too many quail around there. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Grouse, maybe?

bwjohn

Re: West Virginia

Post by bwjohn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm

East of you is the Monongahlae Nat. Forest, lot of land there and think there may be some birds there. Also, know a guy that hunts grouse up near the Md border. Not a far drive from PA, which has some decent grouse places, up on the No. side of the state. South in Va, you could find some birds as well, not a large population.

Over all you could find some small pockets of birds, but no wide spread places with a lot of birds. Know if you could get up to the North East, you could get into some real good bird hunting.

brandon

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm originally from the southern part of the state in the coal fields as most would describe it. I go back every year to bowhunt and get into some grouse. Numbers are better than I have seen in a good many years, but still not great. I'm getting my first pointer since hunting with my stepdads Brittanys as a kid in about 4 weeks, so I've walk hunted for years now. I'll average 5 to 6 flushes per day, 2-4 hour hunts. Sometimes 2 flushes...sometimes 10 flushes. Mountain top reclamation and the timbering industry have helped as much as most people don't like to admit that anything good comes out of either. I would think that the closest access you would have from Charleston would be in Boone County. Look for areas owned by Pocahontas land and also check with DNR about access to other areas. Most everything is land company owned and when I was growing up and hunting in the area, 1990-2000 roughly, you could hunt almost anywhere. Hunting clubs are leasing lands these days, so you have to know where you are. Locals will help as well most times. Not sure where you're from originally, but Boone County, Wyoming county, etc.. are all in the heart of appalachia. It's a different culture for sure, but the people are good, and the grouse hunting can be great! Just tread lightly and respectfully. Good luck

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 am

Pryor Creek Okie,
Nice to see a Military man looking for some decent sport hunting, look for Grouse hunting not quail hunting unless you want pay and use the regulated shooting grounds. Look up around WVU for the Grear Mine operation, get a permit to Grouse hunt their land
and have a ball. Lots of mountain in that area and fine Grouse hunting to go with them. The fall and winter Grouse hunting has always been decent in that area.
If you want to come further north, Somerset County, Pa has decent Grouse numbers also. Even Further north, up around the Pa Grand Canyon, the Grouse hunting is even better. If you are serious about bird hunting, drop me a private message and I will help you further.
RGD/Dave

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am

I'm attaching an address to WV game and fish for you. It's an article on grouse hunting, and ironically there is a picture of a grouse taken in Boone County. As I mentioned before, it's a great starting point. Extremely rugged, but tons of grapes and laurel thickets. It's within an hour of Charleston. Check it out.

Adam

http://www.wvgameandfish.com/hunting/up ... index.html

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Grouse and Woodcock are pretty much your only choices and sometimes their cover choices will overlap one another, short of going to a Preserve for some pen raised birds. Redman has already given you some good advice. Areas to look for are mining reclaims, 6-15 year old timber cuts(hardwood grows slower so cuts can be productive longer), old burns, highland bogs and anywhere you can find excessively dense grape tangles. As a rule, if you can fall down without a sapling or brush standing you back up, you're NOT in the best Grouse cover. Also, look into RGS Habitat work that has been done near you. I know there are a few at least.

I'm several hours North East of you, but would always welcome you along, though you have just as much there as I have here in the way of good cover possibilities. Perhaps a couple of us "Eers" could get together and share a cover or two?
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm

No doubt about it Bruce.... I'll definitely let it be known when I'm heading up that way this winter. My pup's gonna be 6 to 7 months so watching him work on GROUSE! may be more comic relief than anything :lol: , but I can definitely get into the birds in my neck of the woods. I'm all about helping someone out.

Adam

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm getting excited about the opportunity to pursue grouse and woodcock. It's one of those things I've wanted to do for a long time.