NH versus ME this Fall

gar-dog

NH versus ME this Fall

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:30 am

What are thoughts on good grouse hunting in October. I saw the below report and wondered if northern NH might be light. Maybe I should consider elsewhere...

2009-2010 Small Game Season Outlook:
By Julie Robinson, Small Game Project Leader

Ruffed Grouse Spring arrived early this year allowing those early nesting birds to get a great start. Ruffed grouse in the southern portion of the state had plenty of dry weather during their nesting period and a portion of the brood rearing period before the rains set in. The wing and tail survey from last year’s ruffed grouse season showed that recruitment was up over the previous 2-year period. Grouse in the northern portion of NH nest a bit later than those in the south, so the rainy weather most likely impacted chick survival, but the trend over the last three years has showed that our ruffed grouse population statewide is gaining ground! I am predicting an average to above-average season this year.

The Zephyr

Re: NH versus ME this Fall

Post by The Zephyr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 am

On Wed July 1, Gunsmoke wrote:

[quoteI ] know that area quite well. Keep in mind that part of the state has seen nothing but torential down pours for the month of June. There really is better spots than that corridor up Rt. 201. Last year on our way back from camp we stoped in Jackman for a couple of days yes had birds but last years numbers were off I can't imagine what this year will bring with all of the rain they've had. When are you going it willmake a difference as far as Woodcock goes also.[/quote]

I've heard better reports from central NY and PA.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

gar-dog

Re: NH versus ME this Fall

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm

I may shift my NH sites further south - more the Grafton region.