Dove Season

4 Paws

Dove Season

Post by 4 Paws » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:02 am

Dove season opens tomorrow and I cant wait :D We fought like trhe "bleep" to get a dove season a few years back and its great to be able to spend the day hunting with family and friends....anyone else going tomorrow? Paws

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 am

i'm going saturday.... can't wait!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:37 am

No dove season in Iowa, but Nebraska opens tomorrow :) dogs love to get out, it will be fun.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:47 am

We will be into em about the 15th of Sept.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:40 am

I'm in tomorrow. The boss is on vacation so I'm taking Thursday afternoon off. Of course I gotta cover for a coworker so she can take off Friday afternoon, but it'll be worth it to be out on the opener.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

sdgord

dove season

Post by sdgord » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:49 pm

Took the next two days off to start the dove season right. I like to take the weim for the retrieve and marking practice. Seems like a lot of birds here again this year. For those of you just getting a dove season, we lost ours here a few years ago and it was a struggle to get it back. Hunters have a tendancy to think it cant happen here, well it did. so we do have to keep on our toes.SDGORD

LookoutDog

Post by LookoutDog » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:14 pm

Season opens this Saturday in GA. I'm going Sat and Mon. Looks like we will have nice weather this weekend.

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:40 pm

I will be out this weekend and I took the 8th-15th off so I can go everyday. :D the problem here in Arizona all the places I used to hunt have houses on them. finding a spot where there arent at least ten people around you is hard. oh well.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Awe, dove hunting...

The plan was to get up early, set some decoys up in the back pasture and get some opening-morning shooting in. Boy how plans change; and for once they changed for the better.

After finally getting finished with work, I decided to go set up the decoys. Gur and I decided that a walk around the pasture was warranted. So around the fence line we went, checking old hot-spots, but found our back watering hole to be nearly dry. Around here, no water usually means no shooting, so we decided to take a walk down by the lake.

I am glad we did. After jumping several birds and hitting three I decided to post a field where we had flushed an unbelievable 25-50 birds (for a No. Utah alfalfa field that’s darn good!) The birds would flush just out of range, fly to some tree’s, then return minutes later. And more birds were comming in from the east!

The shooting was fantastic and fun, and I was able to shoot nine birds ( a limit is 10). Three were adults while the rest were juvi’s. Gur did a fantastic job on nearly every retrieval and found every downed bird.

She showed great reserve in not chasing the doves as they went zipping on past. She didn’t even get too mad when I missed... However, we’ve still got some work to do on retrieving.

Dove hunting sure can be fast and furious, but the fun often peters-out quickly here. I feel lucky to be able to have had a great dove hunt, even if it’s only every few years.

Always,

CJ

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 pm

:cry:

I had a softball league game this evening to go to. My team was scheduled to play at 6:00. I was not happy about having to leave my prime dove spot right before the birds came in to roost.

Anyway, I only got 1 on the opener, and a tiny one at that. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak out to my granddad's ground this weekend and get a few more. Otherwise, it looks like another sorry dove season where I just couldn't get the right times to work out for a good hunt.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:33 pm

I was fortunate to hook up w/ a guy that got me on a private ranch where there was a good number of birds. I managed to bring down 5. I only lost one that was only wing tiped and managed to fly away. But for the first time in 5 years I had a great time and met some good people.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:57 pm

I went out for a little dove hunting adventure today. My Father owns some land with trees that usually will hold a few dove's.

I am still not very strong or stable on my knee due to the recent surgery. I had to stay close to the vehicle in case there was a problem. I was a dough head and left my cell phone charging at home. I was able to go till about noon, then I felt like my knee wasn't going to hold up much longer. Still, it was long enough to bag 5 doves.

Today was my first time out with my new (to me) CZ 712. Also the first time I have used an auto loader shotgun. I hit doves with my first three shots out of that gun. I would say that makes it a keeper :). Recoil was almost nonexistant compared to my Benelli Nova. I was using size 7 1/2 shot and an improved cylinder choke.

Cooper did well. He retrieved all the birds. It was a great time.

Here he is coming back with a Dove.

And now, his best Gene Simmons imitation.

Here is a picture of 4 of the Doves and the new CZ.

Not the best picture, but I ran in to these turkeys. I hope I draw a tag for this Spring :). I know where these ones hang out.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:21 pm

Nice pictures! Glad to see you still miliking the Knee thing! :lol:

Tell you what I will take that old tractor in the background off your Pa's hands. I could give it a nice home here in Roosevelt!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:12 pm

Just got back from a Sunday morning hunt with Critter Control. We had some fun. Got in to a few birds. I think he ended up with 5 and me with 6. I think I have enough for a little meal now.

There is probably more meat in a 9 piece chicken McNuggets from Mcdonalds. :P

Yeah TAK, there are a couple of old tractors out there. Cool place to take pictures. I have some black and white ones that I did of my kids on the old tractors. They turned out pretty good.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:07 pm

http://www.kissonline.com/
12volt man you need to do a little more work on cooper's make-up, but I could see him fitting in well on their next final were not coming back good-bye tour. Until next year anyway. :lol:

crittercontrol
I know norm would like to see those pics, I hope you e-mail some to him once in awhile.
thanks for sharing those pics with us guys, sometimes makes me what to move back, until I see the pics with snow in them :lol:
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:50 pm

What a great way to finish up the Labor Day weekend. Critter Control and I went out for the evening tonite. This was Cowboy's first time out on a real wild game hunt. He has had quite a few training birds, but I did not know what to expect.

We had some fast shooting right away. A flock of 15 or so came in to out decoys. I dropped 3 with one shot. The best part was that Cowboy retrieved all three to my hand. I was pleased as can be.

In the end, we dropped 10 between us. The dogs did great.

Here are a few photos.

Critter Contol went out to see if he could flush some that landed out in the field. The dogs waited nicely.

Here is Gur on a retrieve.

Cowboy with the nights Doves.

Gur with the same.

Scottyboy

Post by Scottyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Nice pics 12 volt!! Looks like you had some fun with the pups!

omega58

Post by omega58 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:27 am

Here in Michigan, we have to wait until the November ballot in 2006 to try and pass the dove season. The antis got enough signatures to postpone the "experimental season" here in Michigan that took place last year in about 5 counties all bordering Indiana or Ohio.

Hopefully we will pass it just like the Buckeye State did. . .I am sure it will be one thing Buckeye and Wolverine fans will be on the same side. . . .at least the hunting ones. :lol:

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:25 am

Heck, I'm hoping for a good 2nd season. I've gone out twice in the current season and have only gotten one dove. I think my timing (of day) is just way off because I know other people who are seeing a lot of birds and limiting out.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com