Balancing your budget with hunting?

CimarronGSPs

Balancing your budget with hunting?

Post by CimarronGSPs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 am

How do you guys finance or balance your budget with home? Maybe this topic goes in the realm of spousal relations. My point is that I find it hard to understand how many people can afford the 'toys' and yet maintain their home and keeping your spouse happy. How do you do this? I have two small children and don't expect to have the latest gadgets, and the times are not easy to try to remodel a house and hunt minus a trip or new piece of equipment.

DB
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk

brookzee

Re: Balancing your budget with hunting?

Post by brookzee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:26 am

MAKE MORE MONEY. work harder and smarter. invest

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 am

It is hard! I also have young kids ( one on the way in 15 days ) and my wife is the bread winner. Boy that sure doesnt help my cause! I usually put money aside every month for dog related expenses so that I can buy a few gadgets a year. Usually most of my stuff is used cause I have to be concerned with the bottom dollar. It is tough but like I always tell the wife, " heck I could be out at the nudie club chasing loose woman, so be happy its just dogs I am chasing". :lol: A little perspective goes a long ways! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:22 am

You have to have a spouse that is understanding that you have needs that, when allowed, make you a better companion. Secondly, you have to pick the toys that you really need and find a way to afford them. But, I bet you will find that most on this board, those who have the most toys, have been collecting for a long time. There are many here who are not as young as they would like to be and have been running dogs for a long time. Me, I'm still driving an 89 gmc 4x4, looking for second hand travel kennels to keep in the truck, shooting a remington 870 express or a mossberg 500, so that I can afford to buy the third receiver for my tritronics pro 90 exp and run my dogs in the few trials that I choose.

Remember that the toys are not the center of the competition. The dog-brags :wink: are the competition. :D

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Have patience as you may have to wait to get what you want.

It's always a matter of choices isn't it? No latte's, don't eat out, pack your lunch, shop for clothes at the second hand stores, buy clothes for the kids at garage sales, patch your at home work clothes, buy used furniture, buy used or refurbished equipment, drive older vehicles, do your own plumbing, electrical, carpentry, auto repair, shop the bargain caves and bins, get a second job, avoid credit card debt, buddy-up to share expenses, shop e-bay, check out craig's list, buy only what you need not what you want. Hunt close to home, sleep in your vehicle, have a rich friend that likes to take you along and pays for everything :D , etc., etc. .....

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm

One thing my Dad always says:

"There is no price on Fun"

I used that saying alot. Especially when i look around and see everything i have invested in order to go shoot a bird.

PTdawg

Post by PTdawg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 pm

life is short...enjoy it while you can

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Stash hole money. During the year you build up 1500 - 2000 bucks your wife doesn't know about.
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:32 pm

DSemple wrote:Stash hole money. During the year you build up 1500 - 2000 bucks your wife doesn't know about.
And once you have accumulated that much you better put it in the kids college fund as it will only be a few years till that will hit you. And even though so many tell you the cost of a puppy is not important but when you are the ones that is supporting your family it is a major expense that many can't afford. But if your priorities are in place try to find a good puppy when the kids are old enough to enjoy it and learn from it and then all of you need to spend time together in the field learning how to appreciate nature as it should be. And hopefully by the time the kids are getting through their schooling you will have he opportunity to get involved with some trials. And if it takes that long it will only make it sweeter when you finally get to it. It seems that the modern way is instant gratification, too many times at the expense of something more important but you can make do with less than the best and you can wait while you take care of the more important things in your life and your hopes and dreams will become sweeter.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Well said Ezzy

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:41 pm

These are all great replies. I know that I am not the only one that has to deal with this issue. For the most part my wife is very understanding about the dogs and like topher said I'm not spending money at the bars. She was very understanding when I had to buy some new used collars. I had plans to make a short trip to NE this Fall, but we had to replace my wife's car and the trip money went to the new car. I really try not to keep hiding money from my wife because she would find it and find a purpose for it. (Plus I feel guilty for having a stash :) :) ) It is good to hear others strategies for financing their 'addictions' like myself. I guess at the end of the day I am greatful that my wife and I have a good jobs, a house to live in, and my family is in good health. That is a pretty good place to be in life.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:26 am

1. Pay yourself first
-- Create a savings plan and stick to it

2. Don't buy what you can't pay for
-- Don't buy on credit except for your home mortgage.

3. Don't turn down free money
-- E.g. 1, if your company 401(k) matches on 8%, and you put in less, you're turning down free money.
-- E.g. 2, if your company has flexible spending accounts and you don't use them for predictiable things like the kids' braces, you're turning down free money.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 am

Here in Kansas, like pretty much everywhere else, Hunting has become so comercialized that it pretty much takes a second job (unless independantly wealthy) to maintain your habit. I decided to raise my own dogs and get into the biz as a way to always have many wonderful dogs to hunt over and rake in some cash to provide myself with the hunting luxuarys I want. I don't have any kids, so buying the Benelli Legacy Limited Edition 1 of 250 wasn't something I had to hide from my wife. As a matter of fact, I took her with me when I looked at it and asked her if she thought it'd be okay. I wasted no time when she said yes. What a gal! :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 am

prairiefirepointers wrote: I don't have any kids, :D
Kids ... according to the Depts. of Agriculture and Labor in 2001 the estimated cost per child to raise to age 18 (before college) for a before tax household income of $65,800 and up was $249,180. In 2001 college tuition was between $9,000 for public and $24,000 for private education. Obviously costs have gone up. The urge to procreate is as strong in humans as any other species. How many couples stop during the throes of passion and say, are we really going to blow $250,000 tonight?" Most people wouldn't trade their children for anything.

Life is full of choices ... it's all about your values and ..............back to the original question, ..................how do we balance our priorities to include dogs and hunting. For most people a certain amount of sacrifice is other areas is involved.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

brookzee

Post by brookzee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:34 pm

the throes of passion...i like that, funny right there.
get your family to pool together for the more expensive "gadgets" for christmas gifts. instead of a few smaller gifts from all, get one nice one from the collective or a certificate to a retailer. buy everything used, except underwear

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 pm

CimarronGSPs wrote:How do you guys finance or balance your budget with home? Maybe this topic goes in the realm of spousal relations.
I got my wife involved. Now it's her sport too, and she loves it. Most importantly, we don't get to spend much time together during the week as she works in the evenings, and I work during the day, so it give us time together with just the two of us doing something we both love to do.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 am

Wow.. I know lots of people that do not have kids for several different reasons, I had no idea that that makes you a person with poor values. :roll: Perhaps its because my wife and I just married a year ago and just turned 30?
Man now I really feel bad for the couple in our church who lost their son to brain cancer @ 21 years old. His funeral is today and when I see them I will think of
Life is full of choices ... it's all about your values quote
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 am

There are alot of great responses from experienced people regarding this toys versus family obligations issue, however, I would like to add that children are also a great hobby. Try to enjoy their contributions to your well being as you would a hunting trip. I like the ideas submitted regarding integrating your family into your hobby. If you can "pull it off" I'd go for it. I am much better off financialy than I was when I was younger but I still purchase everything based on this formula -- how much enjoyment will I get out of this particular purchase verses other available purchases or savings (sense of security). I find it keeps me from buying things that are not as great a value as they first appeared to me to be. I have recently purchased items that really haven't returned the value, by enhancing my life, that I expected from them. One such example is a .50BMG rifle. It's fun but I think I could have gotten more enjoyment for the money on something else. I virtually quit hunting for about 20 years because it would have placed too much burden on my other priorities.
Good luck and enjoy your family and count your blessings.
Last edited by lightonthebay on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 am

I was out hunting woodcock last weekend, and it was youth hunting day. I didn't flush any woodies, but my dog did find six pheasants. My wife & I don't have kid, just dogs, but I was thinking it would have been great to have a kid along to share that with. Maybe next year I'll volunteer to take a kid hunting.

At least I don't have to worry about my kids hanging out with the wrong crowd, or getting involved with drugs, or dropping out of school. And if they get pregnant, I can sell their children. :D

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:a person with poor values. :roll:
Nothing was said about good or poor values. Perhaps one might not have jumped to such a negative inference if one had thought about values and the "balancing act" in a broader context. What do you value and what do you place higher and lower values on, a new car/truck vs a used car/truck and a decent dog, spending time with your family/spouse or time alone or with your buddies, etc. If you place a higher value on doing things together with your spouse/significant other or family, how can you incorporate them into activities you love and place a high value on?

Children cause a significant diversion of household income, pure and simple. If you have children for whatever reason, you will have a lot less money available for other uses. Kids and cancer ... don't even go there ... that was one of the most twisted posts I've ever seen on this board! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Lets keep this thread on topic, it started out with some great advice and has since deteriorated. I would hate for all the good information to be lost because of it. Thanks all.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

fase3

Post by fase3 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:29 pm

There is just me and momma both retired and living on a working farm. As soon as bird season is over I start putting money away for the next one. Will be doing a lot of local bird hunting (quail-woodcock) and 2 trips out west for pheasant-etc. At 68 I know time is taking it's toll so I'm enjoying hunting to the max! Life is good.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm

I have a small mowing business on the side during the summer and I used to officiate high school and middle school football. I am also a state track meet official. I take this money and use it for Christmas, hunting trips and/or equipment. I have also taken money made from guiding hunts and selling puppies and used it for hunting purposes. I buy and use top quality but not fancy equipment so that I am buying it one time only. I also look for sales on ammo in the off season.

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:37 am

CimarronGSPs,

May I ask what you do for a living? Is it possible that you could generate additional income from your carreer? I am a Plumber by trade, and although I have been in management the last four years as a PM for a union mechanical contractor, side work would be an option as a way to supplement my income if I needed too. With a baby on the way and my wife quitting her teaching job to be a full time mon I may need to start with side work to offset the 60+K loss. I don't personally believe in credit cards so I wouldn't recommend that as an option. I think one way you could save a little extra would be a christmas club through your bank, I believe you can actually do them at any point during the year so if you started on this fall it would be available to you @ the begining of next season. I think you mentioned you were 30 and I am as well I think it's important to remeber we're still young and will have all we seek/want in time. Good luck.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am

Plain and simple there are many places in this country that one need not travel to hunt. Learn to hunt what is available Or if you need to travel, Tent out, Drive the Subaru. You don't need the best equipment. You don't need all the gadgets. You don't need a motel or at least the Holliday Inn. (Fixed Costs Compass, $8.95, Used shot gun, $250,(New England Firearms single shot gun20 Gage $100.00) Dog from Uncle Henry's $200.00, Sleeping bag $79.00 Tent $110 Sleep in Car Free) Food for dog. $9.00 Food from home in a cooler $25.00 Water Free. Cook on open fire (nothing better) GAS $$$75.00 Tent site $12.00 or $0.00 Box of shells $8.95. Local Hunting liscense $35.00 or so.

I don't know where you are from, But Kansas has lots of walk-in hunting as do many other places, you can also take up duck hunting. Carve your own dekes, walkiin to small marshes and ponds and streams hide in the edges.

To train your dog, Whistle, Check cord, Pigeons, wild birds, food, Vet bills, time.

I am over simplifiying this but you get my drift. We don't need all the extra stuff to go out and enjoy a day of hunting.

Other wise one can always go and get another job to suffice the appetie to travel. As Dave Ramsey says, go deliver Pizzas a few times a week in the nights after your other full time job.

I think the best over all advise here is Greg J's If you live that way from early on in your life, you may exerience tough times but you will always be okay, (mostly).
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Everyone has a different situation I suppose as to hunting and budget. I belong to a club and we stock our own Pheasants (10.50 a bird). The club where we shoot skeet year round and hunt birds during small game season is about 20 minutes from my house. Our dues our about 160 a year, +8 hrs work or an extra 80. You can get a ½ hour every time for showing up at meeting once a month. There is also land assessment fee on new members (300 up front or 60 over 5 years). We hunt Saturdays during Sm. Game Season. Clubs with Preserve status can hunt until mid March. Non Preserve Clubs have to stop hunting when the Sm. Game is over, the second Saturday in January.

I am also about 15 minutes away from some nice State Game Land where birds are stocked. State birds are generally on the small side, they have been putting out less and less each year, and they stop stocking after Thanksgiving. Pheasant tags from the state are $14 for 10 tags and top of the license. A combo hunting-fishing license is $38 I believe.
A good bird dog is always the right color

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:13 pm

BBTank work at a chemical process facility as a process operator. I usually am working a 60 & sometimes 80 hrs if things don't go well. I thought about subbing, but when I've gotten called to do it I get called into work. So the answer to your question is that my ot is set aside when we can. Had a few hospital bills that we are paying on now.

My idea in posting this topic was to generate ideas of how people finance their hunting so that I will be able to take a trip or two each season. Ideas like pooling to work, sharing the gas cost on trips, eating off a hot plate in the motel room, and sharing costs wherever possible with a friend on a hunting trip are all great things we can do to cut costs. I like seeing that others here are in the same boat as not having the newest gadgets and gizmos. (I don't begrudge anyone for their success in life if you can afford such things. Please don't take my comments the wrong way :D :D :D ) Folks on this forum have great ideas and sharing them on related topics is a great resource to tap into. Thank you for all the replies and thoughts each reply is appreciated.

I would like to add that I am lucky that I don't have to travel far to hunt pheasants and some quail, but I keep seeing all the pictures of sharpies and huns... well I am jealous of you guys who get a chance to do it each year and hope I can do the same next year. With that said I like chasing ditch parrots.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:55 pm

A friend of mine & I went on a caribou hunting trip in '97. We stayed in cheap hotels, brought our own food, and cooked it on a George Foreman grill in the hotel room (we set the smoke alarm off - oops!). I once re-heated leftovers in a hotel bathroom by placing the aluminum pan with the food in it on top of three water glasses, and sliding the built-in hair dryer underneath it, which was placed on some bars of soap so the air could get in the intake. It heated up dinner just fine - it only took about five minutes - but eventually tripped the thermal switch in the hairdryer. I thought I had burned it out, but it started working again about 10 minutes later.

You could always camp too, but these days it costs almost as much to camp as it does to stay in an Econolodge.

I do prefer the better things in life - fine shotguns, old whiskey, and good food. But, sometime you have to compromise - such as using that old battered coat for another season or two instead of springing for new gear, and it is always worth saving up a little longer to get exactly the gun you want, whether it's that Sweet Sixteen Browning, a Parker, or some other gun you covet.

That said, now that I am officially middle aged, I find there are a few things I won't compromise on anymore - such as fine shotguns and old whiskey... :D

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:20 pm

I think some of my fondest memories of hunting come from the time when I had less 'stuff'. My favorite story was changing a tire on an old Ford LTD of a friend in a snow storm. We were able to get two pheasants a piece, but the way we got them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and the trip back in the snow storm are still refered to today.

Kelpy

Post by Kelpy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am

No spouse, no kids, and truck you bought with cash because liability ins. is cheaper than full coverage and you have no payments to make. It also gives special meaning to, you break you buy, because you know you have to fix it if you break it, so you treat it better. Get some roommates and eat their food, and make them chip in for utilities.

If you want to go hunting, just eat oatmeal at breakfast (about 25cents a bowl +/- depending on how much milk you put in it). Then for lunch eat a baloney sandwich, or p&j(maybe 1 dollar for bread and the fixins) or ALWAYS take a coworker up on an offer for lunch! For dinner eat cottage chesse or whatever you killed last. . . or roadkill you found on the way home.

Like was mentioned before, hunt closer to home and learn the areas better, and sleep in your truck because hotels are getting expensive. Wear more clothes and don't turn the heater on in the house. Walk or ride a bicycle to the supermarket for your bread, milk, baloney, cottage cheese, and oatmeal.

Pretty much just get rid of the creature comforts (easy to do without a spouse nagging at you).

Hope this bachelors advice helps someone :mrgreen:

Kelpy

P.S. almost forgot, grab and extra few squares of Toilet paper whenever you're in a public restroom :wink:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Wow.. that's hardcore. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 am

Kelpy, I remember those days fondly, and I still hold on to the basice tenants of the life style. That was good specific advice to an audience that never experienced life without cell phones, ready to eat snack packs, hunting gadgets and filson vests! There are some hunters who have never hunted with a break open single shot.