hunting late season...maybe Arizona?

luke0927

hunting late season...maybe Arizona?

Post by luke0927 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 pm

OK im here in GA...i will be headed to SD next month then plan on trying to round up birds here in the south....I would maybe like to take another trip in January something quick maybe only 3-4 days over a weekend or so.....My wife is due in March so it will also depend on how she is doing. If i could get a good deal i would like to go to Arizona i keep hearing how good the quail hunting is. This late in the year would the be my best place to look at? I haven't looked at other states but i figured anything in the midwest or north would be harsh weather at that time of year....Also it needs to have public land because thats all i can problaby get on.

thanks

Luke

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: hunting late season...maybe Arizona?

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Down south should be very god for quail in areas where the monsoons were good

safford wilcoxx patagonia are the most known places where people do good

plenty of state land also

google Arizona Game and Fish and down load the main hunt regs ..it has the units and then get the AZ atlas for back up on the FR and ST roads
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Luke,

If you come out this way. You might want to wait till after November. I don't have the dates in front of me but mearns quail opens in November. Scaled and Gambles open in October. But I would wait till late November to reduce the amount of Snakes. Personally I never run dogs until mearns is open. I have yet to see a snake out by doing this. I know some folks still find them but they are less likely. Just something to consider.

LOL... I went through the new baby vs. hunting thing last year. The closer she gets to the due date the tougher it is to leave her. Its exciting once they come though. You will have a new hunting partner for life. You can't beat that!

Scott

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Scott wrote:Luke,

If you come out this way. You might want to wait till after November. I don't have the dates in front of me but mearns quail opens in November. Scaled and Gambles open in October. But I would wait till late November to reduce the amount of Snakes. Personally I never run dogs until mearns is open. I have yet to see a snake out by doing this. I know some folks still find them but they are less likely. Just something to consider.

LOL... I went through the new baby vs. hunting thing last year. The closer she gets to the due date the tougher it is to leave her. Its exciting once they come though. You will have a new hunting partner for life. You can't beat that!

Scott

It would be January before i could come out...how are the birds then after the pressure...My other child (boy) just turned 1 at the end of June so it will be double trouble now! He already love the dogs he likes to go up to the kennels and we feed the dogs and ride the 4 wheeler he has been walking since 10 months so he gets to do a lot more than most babies his age.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Have you thought about Central New Mexico. About an hour south of Albuquerque. Many, Many covies this year and we don't get the hunting pressure like Southern AZ. Looking to be a great year. I used to live at Ft. Huachuca, Sierra Vista, and my mom and older sister still live there. They say rains were OK. Should make mearns quail populations good. But lots of people will have hit them before Jan. Come to New Mexico, we'll show ya how to hunt the grey ghost, and maybe put a stock or two on some ducks on the cow ponds.Now that's fun!!!

GnM

Post by GnM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Quailrunner is right I moved to NM from AZ two years ago and I don't see the numbers in NM like AZ.

Quailrunner did you grow up in Sierra Vista? My wife is from there, I grew up in Safford.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:23 am

Well I guess if an Army Brat can call one place home then Ft. Huachuca would be it for me. We were there from 1970-75, then again from 77 to late 78. I moved back with the wife and kids in 98 to 01 to Sierra Vista. The place just got too big for me, and the hunting was nowhere near as good as it was in the 70's. Plus, my skeeter was drying out! Lemitar, NM is home now (Just North Of Socorro).

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 am

Thanks I'll add NM to the list of places to look out for...it will all come down to how my wife is feeling and cost of travel.....but if i don't get to make it this season I will be taking a trip that way next fall.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:41 pm

The pressure from hunters will make them hold tighter has been my experience. I don't have a hard time finding birds. I am not one to shoot lots of birds. I bring a blank pistol along quite often and my 8 year old carries his 20 .ga. I enjoy running the dogs more than anything else.

I havent been down yet to see what the populations are. I have a few friends with deer tags that usually give me some details about quail numbers. I have a deer hunt in November. I should know better then.

Mearns opens November 28th in Az.

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 pm

I have experience in the areas kninebirddog mentioned and second his comments. Lots of public access.

Good luck,
LEGLIFTER