Another good NSTRA weekend

oldbeek

Another good NSTRA weekend

Post by oldbeek » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:52 pm

Last year bragging about walking full speed for 2 hours. Well now at 80 my right hip socket is worn out. NSTRA does take care of us old veterans. I am allowed to ride my quad during the trial at 4 mph max. This past weekend Missy found 5 and retrieved 5 for 1013 points. That got me a 3 rd place out of 26 dogs. She also had a 4 and 4 which got her a 2nd place. She was amazing. Nothing but full throttle the full time. Even though it was warm she never even stopped at a water tanks till judge called time. Any of you folks that have not attended a NSTRA trial, I sincerely encourage you to do so. Great people with great dogs.

BigTub

Re: Another good NSTRA weekend

Post by BigTub » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 am

CONGRATS !!!

No pics ??? :P

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Nice. I've been but not competed. They let me ride with one of the judges. He talked to me while judging. Nice group of guys but not many trials being put on here in Washington.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:05 pm

We used to have a fine club in Ontario near where I lived. Participated with my second dog there and did all right. When I resigned as President of the club, no one would carry on. :(
Only bad memory is that I was a judge one day and a participant almost shot me. Saw him swing his gun towards me as the bird flushed near me, and had to hit the ground. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:11 pm

our local chapter has really got serious on safety. Any infractions and you loose your bird and score. When dog points, the judge starts telling you about where everyone else is in the field. Have learned also that these stocked birds usually fly towards the sun.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:20 pm

BigTub wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 am
CONGRATS !!!

No pics ??? :P
Cameras and cell phones not allowed during the trials. There is a good video made by the Utah chapter on u-tube

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:11 pm
our local chapter has really got serious on safety. Any infractions and you loose your bird and score. When dog points, the judge starts telling you about where everyone else is in the field. Have learned also that these stocked birds usually fly towards the sun.
. Going back to this post. In this months trial, a bird flushed towards the judge and I called safety. The bird changed course and I had a clear shot, so I fired. The judge took my bird away and I probably got bumped from first place by loosing 150 or so points. I called safety. never fire after calling safety.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm

I ran NSTRA for several years and Judged. Found out I liked judging best, got to watcch every dog. I was tight as a judge had my own rules and you had to follow them. I worried about gun safety out there and my first rule was no loaded chamber in the field till you got to your dog on point. I got frlack about it but every club backed me up on it. Next no shooting across or toward roads. I didn't care to have someone shoot toward a road and have someone complain about it even though the shot wouldn't reach the road, bird flew toward the roiad it was an automatic safety, again even though some complained, all the clubs backed me up. And shooting after I called a safety you gou eithe went and got yourself a shooter or I picked up your dog. Only had to do that one time and the guy was ripped but, the other handler had his wife out there with him and the shot went over their head's Called time imediately and sent the guy packing. Got a huge thank you from the other handler and his wife! One of the thing's I found bad with NSTRA was everybody shot for themselves so everyone wanted that bird shot. Go wwith designated gunner's and they are more likely to call safety on a bad shot, they have nothing to lose. I did a lot of judging at AKC also, really liked judging for the same reason, got to watch all the dog's. When I didn't judge, back in those days we shot the first bird on course in gun dog for a retrieve. If I wasn't judging I liked being designated a shooter. Other than to hit the bird, no pressure on a designated shooter. Call safety and no problem, shoot the next bird on do a call back after the stake. Today most the retrieving is done in call backs; don't care for that, to much of a set up but, it's safe and that counts for a lot. I've only judged a few SF trials and there was no shooting. In fact in AF you didn't not even need a bird to place. Couldn't win without one but you could place.

I keep thinking I should work on my Snicker and go back into NSTRA with him and Stormy but just don't get motivated these days. Pat of getting old I guess. I think Snicker will be my last bird dog, he wasn't planned and he lives 12 yrs, which isn't that long I'll be about 85 or so if I live that long. I wworry a good deal about leaving a dog behind so if I out live Snicker I'm gonna get an old mutt from the pound to live out my life with. He or she can be my fishing buddy. Stormy, Sis and Snicker love going to the river fishing with me now!

Gotta have a photo. Snicker on point with his mom, Sis right behind him and dad, Stormy backing from quite a way off.

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:00 pm

In a bragging mood now! Stormy on point with Snicker, his son, backing for the first time. Snick came around and soon as he saw Stormy i whoa'ed him. What a boy!

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!