German Test AZP Prize 1

honeyrun

German Test AZP Prize 1

Post by honeyrun » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:30 am

Yesterday was my first experience with the German Test AZP. Even though Retta's shoulder wasn't 100%, we participated in the test. I was willing to pull her if she showed signs of pain and tenderness.

We made it through the field portion, searching, use of nose and manors on pointing for 20 minutes. She pointed and held steady on two chukars. NO ADDITIONAL PAIN YET.

We made it through the hare (rabbit) drag of 500 meters. This was only the 3 rd time she had been asked to retrieve a rabbit. STILL NO ADDITIONAL PAIN.

We made it through the duck seach, 15 minutes in heavy cover. I thought that this would be the portion that would cause the most pain for her. Several times when she was in the rushes we could hear her wimper as she got hung up. She emerged and finished this portion. When she hit dry ground that was a moment of hesitation as she tested her shoulder. STILL NO APPARENT ADDITIONAL PAIN.

We made it through the blind retrieve of duck and the gun sensitivity on the dead duck retrieve. STILL NO APPARENT ADDITIONAL PAIN.

Next came the last part, a 150 meter feather drag. She was slowing down, but still made a great retrieve.

Her final score was all 4's (4 being the highest) with a three in the retrieving catagory which was entirely my fault (handler error). Retta received a final AZP Prize 1 score.

I learned yesterday that Retta has a great deal more heart and drive than what I gave her credit for. She is stiff and sore this morning, but otherwise herself. I will be taking her in for an xray tomorrow to make sure that there is nothing seriously wrong with the shoulder. Gotta get her back to 100% since our grouse season will start in two weeks.

Hope everyone else's weekend was as good as Retta's and mine.
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Hounds

Home of:
CH Baretta Vom Otterbach, MH, CGC, NA1, UTII, D1, AZP1 (GSP-German Import)
AM/Can CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, MH, NAI (GSP)
CH Honey Run's Impressive, JH, NAI (GSP)
BPIS CH Windkist's Stealin Hearts (Beagle)
GrCH Windkist Branston Talk About Me (Beagle)
CH Lanbur Windkist Rosalinda (Beagle)
Breeder of:
VC, CH Honey Run's Puck, MH
BIS, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, CD, MH, UTI(2xs), NAII
FC Honey Run's Hannah Barbara, MH
and many others

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:37 am

You just have titles coming out your ears!! Congrats, and I hope Retta is back in full force for you before grouse season :D

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:17 pm

You go girl!!! :thumbright: and get well soon Retta!

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:19 pm

retta DID do quite beautifully... what a delight to watch work!! eric got to see her field work and we both got to see the rest. it was awesome! she IS a trooper !! YAY for the german girl!!:)