NSTRA best run yet

oldbeek

NSTRA best run yet

Post by oldbeek » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

2-19-18 At SOCALNSTRA, Missy got 1192 points for 7 points and 6 retrieves in 30 minutes on 40 acres. She actually pointed 8 but one was 3 ft out of bounds. 8 birds were take out of the field in the previous brace. I didn't think there was a bird build up, but apparently there was. Her Brace mate found 4. Weather was 20 degrees with wind chill of 6 degrees and snowing. I judged the prior day for 9hrs on a quad.. This was in sunny California. Do we call this fun?? You Bet!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: NSTRA best run yet

Post by shags » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Congrats, good job! It makes all the headaches worth it, when your dog puts it all together.

That's normal field trial weather for us 8)

MGIII

NSTRA best run yet

Post by MGIII » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 am

Nice job oldbeek. Congrats

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:01 am

Aweome job. Dogs got a nose.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Nice going. How has the turn out been? I did a few events in 2009-2010 and had a blast.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 am

We struggled during quail season to get enough dogs. We always need dogs, come on out.

Gt shorthairs

Post by Gt shorthairs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:45 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats. Gt

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Congrats on the great run! After nine years in NSTRA I'm still waiting for a run like that. :)
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Been out of NSTRA a long time but thinking about doing a little again. Seven find's is a super run! Something wrong with NSTRA just might be the rule you can't point a bird out of bounds If the bird is out and the dog in, why shouldn't it count? Every dog down has the same chance of pointing an out of bounds bird. I would live to see someone explain to a dog the out of bounds rule! Actually I'm thinking about getting back in and having my girl friend run my dog's and I'll tag along and watch. Gonna teach her to shoot a shotgun when the weather clears. She shoot's rifle's and handguns.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:16 pm

DonF wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm
Been out of NSTRA a long time but thinking about doing a little again. Seven find's is a super run! Something wrong with NSTRA just might be the rule you can't point a bird out of bounds If the bird is out and the dog in, why shouldn't it count? Every dog down has the same chance of pointing an out of bounds bird. I would live to see someone explain to a dog the out of bounds rule! Actually I'm thinking about getting back in and having my girl friend run my dog's and I'll tag along and watch. Gonna teach her to shoot a shotgun when the weather clears. She shoot's rifle's and handguns.
I can understand what you are saying about a dog in bounds pointing a bird out of bounds. But you have to draw the line someplace. Would it be much different if the bird was in bounds and the dog was out of bounds? NSTRA just decided to make the rule that both the dog and the bird must be in bounds. In 10 years of running dogs in NSTRA I have maybe seen the situation you describe once or twice so it's really not a big deal. Thus I don't believe there is anything wrong with NSTRA because of this rule.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 am

I have had birds out of bounds twice in my short time doing NSTRA. This year I think the snow gods are watching our schedule. Last month, the camp area was a mud bog. Had to have my rig towed in. Mud slop and snow both days. All month, fairly good weather. Last 2 days record rain fall and freezing snow on Friday night. Just in time for our 9-10th trial. This is going to be a bumper quail year for CA. Seeing pairs all over the desert by my house. Love it.

Gt shorthairs

Post by Gt shorthairs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 am

Congrats on the great run.GT

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm

That is a great score! Good job by you and your dog! I only did NSTRA once and it was enough for me. Th handler virtually disregarded his dog looking for birds in likely places, then called his dog back to handle "the find". He won 1st!
So, how do I train my dogs to disregard birds 3 feet outside of the boundary? Sorry, makes little sense to me.
That in no way undermines your success along with the wonderful job your dog did. Continued success Sir!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Sounds like you had a bad experience. I do NSTRA just for off season fun with my dog. She points a bird out of bounds, you just heel the dog away just like you would with a well trained dog in a AKC field trial. Our So Cal fields are 40 acres but AZ fields are 60 acres and are more fun to run. There is no finding the bird for the dog. Occasionally you will stumble onto one. I am usually walking as fast as I can and trying to keep track of the dog.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 am

Sounds more like it should be in AZ, Oldbeek. We can't wait to head to AZ later in the year - our home away from home. LOVE it there!! Basically, all I do is quail hunt and golf. :mrgreen:
Continued success in NSTRA!!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:36 pm

AZ holds their trials down near Sonita. Come by and give them a look.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:05 am

Hey oldbeek, I've attended trials there at "The Empire Ranch". Would that be the same place? I'd love to come by. The thing is, our trip to AZ follows my bird hunting in the central mid-west (quail/chickens), which follows my bird hunting up north (grouse/woodcock) which follows my bird hunting out west (Huns/sharptail). So....our AZ trip is supposed to be for my wife and I to get away - minus the hunting.
As it turns out, I've met locals in AZ that taunt me to join them. One actually pointed a gun to my head!! (It was an accident BUT I have used it to my advantage. :wink: ) I could hunt 6 days a week!!
Interspersed with that, I also have local AZ friends that call me up to go golfing with them (my second love, Ooops I meant my third love!). Granted not too many call me to go golfing. Hmmm....how bad is my golf???? :oops:
One of the hunting buddies keeps inviting me to skeet/trap shoot at their club near Tucson which I have yet to do.
So much for it being a non-hunting holiday. :mrgreen:
Married 42 years. I got a good one! I won't even tell you about the earlier years when I was away trialing all over the US and Canada. She quit her job at the time to raise our 2 sons. Don't know what she sees in me but...
So, I had a cousin that was "different". One day, she said, "Your (at that time deceased) grandfather told me he'd like to talk to you." I knew she was different but back then at 19 years of age, I was game! One night, we sat around a Oui Gee board up in the attic of their massive century home. (It was like a setting for a horror movie, I kid you not!) So this bold brass punk (me) sits down around a table along with 4 others. We are holding hands together and there was a tall glass tumbler upside down on the Oui Gee board standing all alone - the candles are lit. My cousin invited my grandfather (my namesake by-the-way) to join us. I'll be "bleep"!!! The glass starts moving!?! I'm not going to lie. I walked out. Apparently, he wanted to tell me that by the time I was 21, I would be rich! I guess he was right after all! One thing we've got lots of is NO money but that IS when I met my wife.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm
That is a great score! Good job by you and your dog! I only did NSTRA once and it was enough for me. Th handler virtually disregarded his dog looking for birds in likely places, then called his dog back to handle "the find". He won 1st!
So, how do I train my dogs to disregard birds 3 feet outside of the boundary? Sorry, makes little sense to me.
That in no way undermines your success along with the wonderful job your dog did. Continued success Sir!
Not any worse that a dog not being allowed to relocate on its own in a AFT. :)

Congrats Old Beek.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:38 pm
Not any worse that a dog not being allowed to relocate on its own in a AFT. :)

Congrats Old Beek.
Around here it is a matter of timing.