Late Season Pheasant

Pheasanttracker

Late Season Pheasant

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Still finding late season public land pheasants. something has to be said for diehard hunters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Re: Late Season Pheasant

Post by NEhomer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:11 am

Nice!

We got a pair of hens a couple of weekends ago 2 months after the last stocking.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 am

Wow Awesome I have same dog. Looks like his twin. Got mine from pine ridge

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:27 pm

post pic of your dog. i dont get to see many pudelpointers here in eastern Pa. Most think it is a mix or wirehaired.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Will try not to good with computer .Will get some assistance from someone

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Leavin tomorrow hunt some grouse probably and pheasant chukar on Monday.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Son helped me some wouldn't fit he said
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 pm

great picture they could be twins

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:17 pm

how late does grouse run in NY? we have two weekends left for pheasant in PA. with any luck i will find a couple before the 29th. geese are still in and i cant keep her out of the water. frozen beard and all she doesnt care.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 am

Gota check the date on grouse it is ending soon. Pheasant and chukar this time of year I hunt a preserve in Long Eddy NY. In the fall state stocks birds in couple spots I hunt that's a freeo.Where did you get your dog?

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Iwan Kennels in Greencastle PA. they are one of the Pudelpointer alliance breeders. i looked at Pine Ridge but didn't know how hard it is to buy across the border. there are not many PP breeders in the east.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:49 pm

i paddle the Delaware in long eddy with scouts every year. i dont recall a preserve but nice country there nonetheless. mostly see trout fishermen. my dog floats in my kayak with me as that is how we jump shoot ducks in the fall.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:47 am

OK cool just got back he did great but I still need shooting lessons. Haha

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:43 pm

I bagged over 40 public land pheasant this year and missed at least 25 more. i guess i know what i will be doing this off season. when i miss to many in a day the dog just looks at me like " i did my part, can't you do your's". Mid season I finally sold my O/U for a Beretta 400 (not thé gun in the picture as i was out for geese that day as well) my percentage jumped up significantly. Couldn't hit the side of a barn with he O/U for some reason

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:27 am

Yea there are so many options out there.What size shot do you use? Just figured it was me not shooting till season starts.I usually carry my Mossberg 500 12 gauge for everything.Also have older 20 gauge no choke.Would love to buy a wildbird only shotgun just have no idea where to begin with so many options.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:36 am

Which 400 did you get?

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 pm

i have the A400 explorer in 20g. bought it this fall and love it the follow up shot is super fast and it swings great for me. i ended up with the 28in barrel. my normal hunting buddy uses the benelli montefeltro and loves it but the beretta felt better for me. i picked up a tristar silver viper in 28g for grouse and it is a surprisingly nice gun. i have not used it enough for a full opinion but it is crazy light.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 pm

went out for last weekend of geese but river was way high and zipping. only saw ducks on he river in the flooded timber. to bad they weren't in season.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:33 am

K Tx. Gona buy myself a gift.Maybe two. Its gona take a while to sort it all out. Its a onetime purchase so gona take my time and handle some guns. Really like the benellis but gota decide on gauge and other things.Many options out there. Hunt mostly stock pheasant and I have a pointer so most shots are 35 yards or less.Not gona take the new gun in duckblind

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:10 pm

all i use is 20 for pheasant unless it is a chance for ducks or geese the same day. also refuse to use the Beretta in the rain. i found a used benelli vinci for wildfowl and can say the Beretta cycles much faster. i used a cz redhead and browning citori but like i said none of the o/u's worked for me. i have no problem with 20s as i find few shots in the east over 40yds. i dont think i have used anything but mod or IC for pheasant in years. i do shoot 5 load though. Really like fiocci golden pheasant in 3 in when need to hit 40yd birds. i used prairie storm but even with IC it was destroying the birds so i stopped. Good luck with whatever gun you choose. i figured whatever i bought would last well into retirement thus why i bought a little more expensive gun. i would have went o/u but even the high end ones i tried i couldnt shoot well. i am sure it was me and not the gun.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Pheasanttracker wrote:all i use is 20 for pheasant unless it is a chance for ducks or geese the same day. also refuse to use the Beretta in the rain. i found a used benelli vinci for wildfowl and can say the Beretta cycles much faster. i used a cz redhead and browning citori but like i said none of the o/u's worked for me. i have no problem with 20s as i find few shots in the east over 40yds. i dont think i have used anything but mod or IC for pheasant in years. i do shoot 5 load though. Really like fiocci golden pheasant in 3 in when need to hit 40yd birds. i used prairie storm but even with IC it was destroying the birds so i stopped. Good luck with whatever gun you choose. i figured whatever i bought would last well into retirement thus why i bought a little more expensive gun. i would have went o/u but even the high end ones i tried i couldnt shoot well. i am sure it was me and not the gun.
I have never found an o/u I can shoot though I love the guns. For me at least it is because of the straighter English stack and I nee more drop for some reason. Just might be your problem as well.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:44 am

thanks for your thoughts. i must have tried 5 or 6 over the past decade with little success. i think the nostalgic look is what keeps drawing me to them. maybe i should buy an old broken fox or parker and a couple times a year take it out with the dog and when the dog points i will yell bang on the flush. i would have as much luck. That said i do love my Beretta.

Jstas

Post by Jstas » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 am

K Tx for the input