GSP our first season

BirdyBoris

GSP our first season

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 pm

My boyfriend is the hunter. I have always been a dog person but have never owner a bird dog. Wow! It is awesome! We have a 1 1/2 year old male GSP.HE spent 30 days with his breeder for training. Not knowing much about training bird dogs I have to say we are very lucky. Boris has found all the birds and some extras left from previous hunts every time out. He hunts close, corners, has never bumped a bird, never broken point, and retrieves with a soft mouth.It is an amazing experience to see your dog work and be in his element. Im hooked!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP our first season

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Looks like absolutely great fun. You just experienced what is great about hunting, seeing a dog work and doing it for the first time with your boyfriend. It doesn't get any better till you take your kids out and get them started.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Boris looks good on point :D

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Sweet!!! Nice set or pictures. Really enjoyed them
A month isn't long. Must be a lot of natural ability. Lot of nice gsp's up that way. If you want to, curious what line he is out of.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Thank you! Animal photography is a hobby of mine. I know nothing about gsp lineage. American Saddlebred horses is a different story. We purchased him from Gun Dog Kennels in Vermont. They were great! I don't think he is out of anyone impressive. Any suggestions on what to look for on his papers?

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 pm

So I took at look at his papers and on his sires side rawhide clown and on his dams side Stolzhafen and Von Jess are all over the place. Like I said no idea what that means as I'm new to gsp's

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:18 pm

You should attend a horseback field trail, a chance to enjoy dogs and horses, take your camera and you are set.

Great photos and a really nice dog.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks Neil! I have been reseraching horseback field trials I haven't found much in my area. Located in Maine. It looks like a lot of fun.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:02 pm

BirdyBoris wrote:Thanks Neil! I have been reseraching horseback field trials I haven't found much in my area. Located in Maine. It looks like a lot of fun.
There are a few fairly close to you, but only late spring, early Fall. You can search AKC and American Field web sites for schedules. Good luck.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice. This is all new to me and I'm loving it.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:40 am

Nice looking dog. Glad to see another fellow saddlebred person on the forum.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Bacon your pup is pretty striking as well! I showed saddleseat starting at 4 till I was in my early 20's.Do you show your Saddlebreds?

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks, just a little over 5 months now. Guess I will have to amend my statement a little I grew up a hackney pony person with my Grandfather having trained and showed for over 60 years. We had mostly ponies and Standardbreds with a few saddlebreds at other trainers to ride and sell. I showed for years (mostly road horses and ponies, but got behind a few harness horses), but haven't in a while, been focusing on school for the past couple years. My wife though works at Willowbank, so I still hang around the shows and pester everyone from time to time. I get to see all the studs and babies on a regular basis so it works out in the end, for now anyways.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Lucky lady working with horses let alone a show barn is hard work but I would take it over a desk job any day.I showed at Louisville a few times and nothing compares.Being in New England this is dressage/hunter country.I prefer Saddleseat its exciting and fast paced. Now that I'm an adult and can't afford a show horse at the moment working with my GSP is definitely a similar expreience.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:50 pm

BirdyBoris wrote:Lucky lady working with horses let alone a show barn is hard work but I would take it over a desk job any day.I showed at Louisville a few times and nothing compares.Being in New England this is dressage/hunter country.I prefer Saddleseat its exciting and fast paced. Now that I'm an adult and can't afford a show horse at the moment working with my GSP is definitely a similar expreience.
If we can get you on a good, smaller athletic TWH, we will convert you. You will travel more miles in a day at a continuous course trial than a week on most horses, and wake up the next day eager for more.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Neil wrote:
BirdyBoris wrote:Lucky lady working with horses let alone a show barn is hard work but I would take it over a desk job any day.I showed at Louisville a few times and nothing compares.Being in New England this is dressage/hunter country.I prefer Saddleseat its exciting and fast paced. Now that I'm an adult and can't afford a show horse at the moment working with my GSP is definitely a similar expreience.
If we can get you on a good, smaller athletic TWH, we will convert you. You will travel more miles in a day at a continuous course trial than a week on most horses, and wake up the next day eager for more.
Sign me up. Been looking for a TWH to go trail riding on anyways.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:56 pm

love gaited horses! I showed 5 gaited Saddlebreds .I had a trainer who was all about TWH ill try it!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:21 pm

You two have a treat awaiting you, you love dogs and horses. Welcome to field trials!

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:08 pm

I think I've found my calling!Image My last Saddlebred Phinal Chance out of Phi Slama Jama

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Nice, what color is he?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 am

Chestnut he was a big guy 17.2 hands

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Congratulations on your GSP, looks like a great day! As for Saddlebreds, hard to beat going down the ramp and hitting that rush of cold air as you enter Freedom Hall (home of the green shavings). I compare the five gaited stake on Saturday night to the open all-age at Kansas or Boonsville. In the last few years I have sponsored and owned three GSP's on the national level and seven Saddlebreds at the same level. If I just had the money that has been spent on the two! I agree with others. Having shown five gaited saddlebreds you will be a scout in no time on a TWH. I only get to go to one field trial a year because of a horse show every other weekend form April through the Royal in Novemebr. So let me know how your trial debut goes!!!!