So Cal NSTRA trial

oldbeek

So Cal NSTRA trial

Post by oldbeek » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Missy placed 1st as Derby dog in both fields on Saturday. She placed 3rd in field B overall. She had 5 finds and 4 retrieves. She could have had 5 retrieves if her novice trainer could learn to shoot. We didn't have an opportunity to back. This was her second brace in one and a half hours. Not bad seeing as last year as a pup she got DQ ed from most of her braces.
The next day she started falling back into all her bad habits. Oh well back to more intense training. One day a champ, the next day , just a dog!

marysburg

Re: So Cal NSTRA trial

Post by marysburg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 am

Way to go! Moments of brilliance, followed by 'old habits' are sent to keep us scratching our heads, I guess. At least you know that the brilliant moments are possible. Congratulations to you and Missy.

oldbeek

Re: So Cal NSTRA trial

Post by oldbeek » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Next week back in training mode and she does everything perfect. Few days later shooting wild quail she does not hold till released. But! She covers ground like a rocket. At one point she was hot on the scent and going over a rise, she stopped and looked back as to say, come on they are right ahead. She did that before when entering heavy cover and hot on scent. You can not train that! She pointed at least 20 times but my son was shooting poorly. Finally I had to hit a few to let her fetch. She is a natural just like her Gpa Peter Gun.