Finally clicked for the pup!!

Si the britt

Finally clicked for the pup!!

Post by Si the britt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Today was a great day for the pup and I. My 7 month old britt had the light bulb come on. This pup has crazy drive and is exceptionally birdy. I have been working him on birds for about the last 3 month. He runs really hard and is aggressive on the birds. He has been constantly bumping, flushing, and chasing birds. Up until a month ago he never showed any signs of pointing other than sight pointing. I have been working him on as many birds as I can afford. Here in wisconsin wild pheasants are scarce at best. Today I had 4 birds put out. He pointed the first bird with a good point, he held the point and let me flush so I shot it. Only the second point he has held for me. He chased the bird on the flush and didn't mark where it fell. We found the bird and went on. The next 3 birds he held perfect points, and stood for the flush and only went on the fall! He worked the field perfectly!! I couldn't believe my eyes. It was like I was working with a different dog. I knew that he needed birds to improve, but didn't think it would be like flipping a switch. It was a good day. Still a ton of work to do but I could have watched him work those birds all day. I'm so proud of him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Newman

Re: Finally clicked for the pup!!

Post by Mark Newman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:50 am

Now that was a great day! Sounds like you're doing a great job with Si. I know what your saying for birds in Wisconsin. I live in Hudson, WI near the cities. But we have quite a few public lands around here where I can find 1 or 2 in a couple hours of hunting. Some days- nothing. Some days Chip (GSP) only picks up old scent which he indicates with a tail moving at 20 mph, other days he gets very fresh scent and indicates at 80 mph, when it is within seconds of the point - 120mph, at the point- solid. I love it. This is a bad year but I still have a lot of good action out there with Chip, he would find it more rewarding if I would quit trying to hit the pheasant in the head and stop wasting his beautiful points (at least I think he is saying that to me). If you are anywhere close to Hudson, I would be happy to take you out to some of the areas I hunt near by. Buying birds can be pricey. But if you want to just go out on your own I can let you know where there are good areas to hunt also. I love hunting by myself- more relaxing and I don't have to worry about anybody judging my dog and only my dog judges me :wink: But I would like to hunt Chip with other (trained) dogs also and see how that goes with him. I have brought him out with 2 untrained pups and a 3yr old Golden Retriever untrained and he doesn't know they are there. Although I did bring him out 1 yr ago with a seasoned Lewellyn and she made it clear to Chip to stay clear of her out there in the field.