Decided why not....

millerms06

Decided why not....

Post by millerms06 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

After a good hunting season, I decided to give my youngest dog Morgen a chance with some hunt tests. I used to handle my dad's beagles at field trials when I was a youngster. I guess I kind of missed the fun having to follow dogs and watch them work outside of hunting. I am by no means doing this other than seeing how far this dog will take herself in these kinds of formats. The other reason is this is the first dog my daughter got involved with training, so the dog's success is really a shared thing between us. Just like my dad was excited when I wanted to throw on the rubber boots and go to beagle trials, it is pretty exciting to get my daughter interested in this process now she is at the same age as I was.

Yesterday, Morgen passed her last leg toward her Junior hunt test title. Her scores I think were respectable even with the circumstances on her second attempt which was a fail.

3/23
8-8-9-8. Pass
3/24
9-9-4-7. Fail (Found two birds 15 yards off course because they all flew or ran when we got to the bird field. She didn't hold point long enough for either of the pheasants she encountered).

3/30
9-9-8-8. Pass
3/31
8-8-7-7. Pass

4/20
8-8-8-7. Pass

Prior to her hunt tests, I did put Morgen in a field trial and had a somewhat bad experience. It wasn't entirely bad because I did meet some nice people at the trial. From the experience overall though, I didn't want to try it again. But all of the hunt test judges told me at one point that my dog should be put into field trials just because how she covered the ground and hunted. None of them knew about what happened at that one trial, and I just listened to what they had to say about my dog. After all of their comments and encouragement, I think I will put her in a few open puppy and then a derby stake before the spring ends. Even though they gave me their opinions about my dog, I know that she still has to prove herself when the time comes just like every other dog running. And more importantly, I can't screw her up :P

I would just like to say thank you to all that have lent me their opinion on what they saw with my pup in videos and how to change things to possibly make everything better, especially after my first pointing dog field trial. Having access to good folks is what makes this a special place and honestly I feel it appropriate to share all of this with each of you. Thank you, and I apologize for being so long winded with just a junior hunt test title. :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Decided why not....

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Can I ask what your bad FT experience was? If you prefer you can PM, or not talk about it all.

Good luck with your pup.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Congrates on the junior title and it's good to get your daughter involved in the training :D

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm

ACooper wrote:Can I ask what your bad FT experience was? If you prefer you can PM, or not talk about it all.

Good luck with your pup.
Same here. I'm running my pup in his first FT next weekend and it's an open because the amateur was vizslas only. Now I'm kinda wondering if there is anything to be worried about. We have zero experience with FTs, including never seeing one.

Keep up the good work with your pup. It must be fun sharing the experience with your daughter. I hope to do the same with my son, but have awhile to wait (he's 14 months). Best of luck.

-Ben

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 am

mtlhdr wrote:
ACooper wrote:Can I ask what your bad FT experience was? If you prefer you can PM, or not talk about it all.

Good luck with your pup.
Same here. I'm running my pup in his first FT next weekend and it's an open because the amateur was vizslas only. Now I'm kinda wondering if there is anything to be worried about. We have zero experience with FTs, including never seeing one.

Keep up the good work with your pup. It must be fun sharing the experience with your daughter. I hope to do the same with my son, but have awhile to wait (he's 14 months). Best of luck.

-Ben
Ben,

Have fun. That is what it is all about. If you go in with a courteous and professional attitude, like I did, you will get to meet nice people there. An open and positive mind is a good thing.

Do you have a horse? If not, drink plenty of water :P you will be fast paced striding/jogging your way down the course. Who knows, you might even meet someone that will be kind enough to lend you their horse. Again, treat people the way you would if you invited them in your home and there will be good found in anything you experience.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 am

deseeker wrote:Congrates on the junior title and it's good to get your daughter involved in the training :D
Thank you Deseeker, I couldn't agree with you more.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 am

millerms06 wrote: Have fun. That is what it is all about. If you go in with a courteous and professional attitude, like I did, you will get to meet nice people there. An open and positive mind is a good thing.
Will do. Thanks for the advise. Keeps us posted on the pups progress.

~Ben

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Congratulations. It is good to see youth getting involved. Happy hunting

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 pm

This weekend Morgen scored a prize III in our first NA test. Had she had a little more formal exposure with water, she would have been a strong II candidate. Lots of stuff going on last month which didn't help. I am contemplating about retaking the test just to give her a better opportunity. Many things happened that was handler error honestly, and I feel like I owe it to my dog the second opportunity, along with myself obviously :P

What do some of you guys think?
Last edited by millerms06 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Where is the harm in testing again? It gives you a reason to get out in the field with your dog and work on some of the things you and your dog likely need to work on anyway for hunting season. It gives a reason to get in the field with your daughter and have her involved in some of the things you enjoy. It gives the dog an opportunity to work the field outside of hunting season. The worst that can happen is your dog fails the test. So What!

Go for it.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:25 pm

slistoe wrote:Where is the harm in testing again? It gives you a reason to get out in the field with your dog and work on some of the things you and your dog likely need to work on anyway for hunting season. It gives a reason to get in the field with your daughter and have her involved in some of the things you enjoy. It gives the dog an opportunity to work the field outside of hunting season. The worst that can happen is your dog fails the test. So What!

Go for it.
Yeah why not!

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I took the NA test in may with the Wisconsin river chapter. I was extremely nervous because I am new to all of this, but had a great experience. what chapter are you a member with?

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am

Adamdirk wrote:I took the NA test in may with the Wisconsin river chapter. I was extremely nervous because I am new to all of this, but had a great experience. what chapter are you a member with?
I just joined the Kettle Moraine Chapter last month. I haven't got a chance to take part any of the training days, but will hopefully get to this weekend.

Overall the judging was really great, not a complaint about them at all. Next month if I can get the dog in the test I think she will show dramatic improvements with the water portion for sure. It was like night and day when she had to go after the dead bird in the water. She definitely has it in her. My daughter will actually get to go this time. She likes watching different breeds of dogs working and so do I.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Congrats on your new title. First titles are always a good feeling. And I know what you're saying about the bad experience. One of my first trials was a real bad experience because some people feel the need to try and belittle others and just put a bad taste in my mouth with all the back biting going on. But, I went back and am glad I did. Have not so much fun in a while.

I've never ran a test before - this fall should be Moxy's first. What do those scores represent? I imagine they're respective scores for soemthing, but what?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Stoneface wrote:Congrats on your new title. First titles are always a good feeling. And I know what you're saying about the bad experience. One of my first trials was a real bad experience because some people feel the need to try and belittle others and just put a bad taste in my mouth with all the back biting going on. But, I went back and am glad I did. Have not so much fun in a while.

I've never ran a test before - this fall should be Moxy's first. What do those scores represent? I imagine they're respective scores for soemthing, but what?
We will be back at AKC stuff before hunting season you can guarantee it! The scores were hunting, bird finding ability, pointing, and trainability in that order. I remember a while back you were going to run her in Master's right away, which retrieving and honoring will be scored on top of the four mentioned. I am going to just run Morgen in all three just because they are fun and it is good experiences all around.

Trials, we will do that too. Who knows, I might get my dad to jump ship and convert his trial kennel from beagles to pointers! That would be a stretch and a half :wink:

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Morgen and I tried the NA test for the last time and she made improvements but showed some new things just like any dog will do. The tracking and water were the things she needed to show improvement on and she didn't disappoint. the track was the first phase of the morning. She started off with a good search pattern, and ended with a nice staunch point at the edge of the tree line. The judges told me to pick her up and as I got closer to her, I saw the pheasant dart off further in the brush.

The field portion she managed to show great pointing on all the birds she found, but a new thing showed: she didn't recall as nicely as she usually does. Definitely something we are working on the rest of the summer along with steady to flush. The senior judge commented, "You know if she runs through this field at this pace it just means we will ask you to have do it again." She charged the field like she always does and for how hot it was I was getting a little worried towards the tail end. The judges were very courteous and polite with how she did in the field, but when it was over I was pretty ticked with her as I knew cooperation was going to get docked, and even more upset with the fact it was my fault really for not reinforcing this idea as much. Waiting to run is never her strong suit and her desire to hunt gets the best of her.

Water, well water was the complete opposite from last time. She wouldn't come out of the water and a couple people that watched said she has some potential with the water portion of the utility. I was very proud of my dog for acting like a "lab" in the water, but I wish she would have responded better on her recall.

I thought it was pretty funny at the end of the day that the senior judge made a joke about how Morgen is probably still swimming in the pond. All three were outstanding guys, just like the three judges last month. Morgen scored a 102 and a prize II (4-3-4-4-4-4-2). Had she would have responded better, she would have gotten a higher score and possibly a higher prize. Definitely going to give it a go onto the next level within NAVHDA and see what this dog will do.

I never really trained this dog to want to hunt, just gave her opportunity to hunt. If I would have tested her at a younger age, I probably would have shown a more complete dog. Past the twelve month mark has displayed her wanting to test its handler which a dog always likes to do. If I was as interested in doing this stuff earlier, she would have shown more cooperation. I guess that will have to wait until I get the next puppy way down the road.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 am

It sure sounds like both you and your dog are having fun. THAT is what it should be all about...having fun.

BTW, it is VERY MUCH OK to get excited about a Junior Hunter title or a Navhda Prize ANYTHING. That is waaaay cool.

You see what you and your dog can do and more importantly, you see what you and your dog MIGHT be able to do, if you want to work toward it. There is always something more you can work on, some improvement, some higher level of performance, some new tactic to try.... As you have already found out, it can be infectious.

I do field trials myself. My dogs would not do well in hunt tests and frankly, neither would I. They are most definitely infectious. And, YES my wife thinks I am nuts. She might even be right :lol: :lol:

Enjoy. Always remember it should be about having fun with your dog.

RayG

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 am

Thank you Ray. I appreciate what you have to say.

Best,
Matt

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:28 am

Congratulations on Morgen and your success. Get that girl of yours to handle her in the hunt tests. Once she's totally broke, a hunt test is great for a kid - they really don't have to do much of anything with the dog except get it to go with them. Way to go getting out there and giving it a try - I wish more dog owners would put themselves out there - they might find a new addiction to pursue in the off-season.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 pm

A while back, I talked to her about maybe handling her four year old Vizsla in some hunt tests next spring. We will see if she wants to when the time comes. Lately it has been swimming with the dogs that makes the training part fun.

Growing up, AKC beagle field trials were apart of the family. My daughter still travels with my folks on some of the field trials up in the U.P. during the winter months. She is getting a whole lot more experiences than I ever did and that is what it is all about.