Natural Ability test

benelli

Natural Ability test

Post by benelli » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

I ran Scout (1 year) in a NAVHDA Natural Ability test last weekend. He did surprisingly well considering how little work we've been able to do with him ... before the test he'd seen maybe half a dozen pigeons, three chukar, and one pheasant. (We've had a hard time figuring out how to get a hold of birds to use.) He got max points in the field search and water portions, but tanked in the tracking part (which we kind of expected). He made us nervous in the field search because it took him over 15 minutes (out of 20) to get his head in the game and stop chasing tweety birds - but once he came across the planted chukar, BAM! he went on point and held like a champ until I flushed it.

His total score for the day was 100, Prize III.

We meant to get pictures during the test itself but that didn't end up happening, so here are some pictures from some downtime during the day when we went exploring a field trying to burn off energy before the tracking part of the test.

mtlhdr

Re: Natural Ability test

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

You've got a nice looking dog there. Congrats on the prize. I know you've got your plate full. Was that your first NA test?

benelli

Post by benelli » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks! Yes, it was our first NA test; the test our chapter will be doing in the fall will be too late (Scout will be too old), so this was our only shot at it. And yeah, we're staying busy; we've got a 21-month-old kid, a 3-month-old kid, the dog, and we just started adoption paperwork. "I'm bored" is not something my husband or I say very often. :D

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 am

Congratulations! It sounds as though you are off to a great start.

I will be entering my first NA tests this coming fall.

benelli

Post by benelli » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am

Carolina Gundogs wrote:Congratulations! It sounds as though you are off to a great start.

I will be entering my first NA tests this coming fall.
Try to practice tracking if you can; it seems like that is a tough one for lots of dogs, not just ours.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 pm

The track is tough no matter what. Expose the dog to it, practice a few times and hope for the best! At least that's what I'm planning on for this Sunday.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Congrats on your NA prize.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm

My husband and I ran our two red dogs in a NA test three or so years ago. It was our first(only) NAVHDA test, too. We hadn't watched any previous tests, so even though we read the rules, we weren't sure what to expect and made a few mistakes. For instance, didn't know you can't go "with" your dog when you put it on the trail. Seriously, how silly is that? When hunting, I always follow when my dog is on a runner. Why would I just "stand back there." :D But the judges were great and explained everything as we went along and gave everyone a few chances to get it right. The trailing test was the funniest part, too. Robert had me and the judges laughing. On his third or fourth time, he finally did it right.

The people were nice and they sure had plenty of good food. Most(all?) of the participants hadn't seen a "red setter" before. So, we were a bit of a novelty. There were lots of GSPs. And, a few pointy dogs that I hadn't seen "in person" before. Very much fun despite the rainy weather. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting get back into the NAVHDA tests and try for the Utility. I think that's what the top level is called. My red guy LOVES ducks. I have no idea why, but he and his mother would swim until they got hyperthermia as long as there is a chance of a grabbing a live duck. They love ducks so much we've decided to take them duck hunting next year and leave our labs at home. The red guys (along with our young brittany) are always in the water before the labs.

Anyway, I'm deciding if I should go watch a UT test first or just enter and see how it goes using it as a learning experience. It won't be the first time I don't know what I'm doing.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 am

Go watch, attend a training day or two. Maybe for handling experiance run UPT first.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Ms Cage - Yes, good advice. Next week I plan to look for the closest club to join and hopefully they'll have a training day this summer. Meanwhile, I'm off to an AmField walking trial in Sunnyside, Wash tomorrow. I'm running my red guy, Robert, and our young brit, Seven. As it's been pouring rain here all day in the beautiful northwest, it will be great to get into some SUNSHINE east of the mountains.

Thanks! :D

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Congratulations on the NA prize. I ran my first NA last year. Happy hunting