First three trials, three placements !!

GrayDawg

First three trials, three placements !!

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 am

I ran my 8 month-old Pointer, Bodhi, in an Amateur Walking Puppy stake at the Setter Club of New England's
spring field trial this past weekend at Crane's WMA in Falmouth, MA. This was Bodhi's first entry in a trial, he was the
youngest dog in the stake and managed to place second.

I wasn't really sure what to expect as I had never cut Bodhi loose on these grounds before. While I've trained there
and run there a bunch of times with my GSP, I didn't even know what course they were planning to put the puppies
on. Well, Bodhi settled in after about 2-3 minutes of doing "puppy stuff" after the breakaway...... he made a couple
nice moves- one where he took a right edge for about 400 yards, then showed to the front as we turned left.

One judge asked me how old he was, when I replied "a little over 8 months", the guy darn near fell over!
Bodhi showed a good handle and was fairly animated & independent in his run. Guess I'll keep feeding him! :wink:
SCoNE_AWP_Bodhi_2nd_CU.jpg
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GrayDawg on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

hustonmc

Re: First trial & he earns a placement.........

Post by hustonmc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 am

Nah, you should probably cull him and send him out west to me. :) Nice job, love his ped.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 am

hustonmc wrote:Nah, you should probably cull him and send him out west to me. :) Nice job, love his ped.
Matt,
Where did you see Bodhi's pedigree? I didn't think it was part of my signature here any more?
Thanks for the kind words none the less.............

Rob

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

By Great River Ice and a bitch with 2 of the 3 Elhew girls........ Something along those lines? I have my ways ;) Am I close?
Last edited by hustonmc on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 am

Is this your first trial? If so, I am sorry. :) because now you see you got something, and sure as day follows night, he'll embarrass himself in his next trial!

(...or so went my experience...)

Congrats! Give the pup an ice cream cone!

Rick

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

:lol:
hustonmc wrote:By Great River Ice and a bitch with 2 of the 3 Elhew girls........ Something along those lines? I have my ways ;) Am I close?
Matt,
This may help shed some light on his Dam's side.......
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/attach ... 1347276325

Rick,
No- not my first field trial..... Not by a longshot. My GSP has humbled me many times!

Rob

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Close.........lol. Again, congrats and good luck with future endeavors.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Matt,
If you are interested.................

On the dam's side:
The dam, Prison Break Tess is out of CH Bulltown x Impressive Lady Sue.
These Dog's have been bred twice for a total of ~13 dogs. Tess's full brothers/sisters
include:

- CH Our Big Bully (2011-12 Purina Points Open Shooting Dog of the Year)
- CH Klee's Handsome Hank (Winner, 2011 New England Championship)
- Annibull (PA Shooting Dog of the Year)
- Avalon Creek (multiple Open Shooting Dog placements).

Impressive Lady Sue is owned by Roger Dvorak and Roger has been fairly successful in his relatively
short time in breeding Pointers.

"Sue's" Sire, Richfield Bodidlee, had at least one Shooting dog win on the Amateur side
and multiple Amateur placements. Open wins/placements are not known (by me).

Bodidlee's dam, CH Richfield Susan (all these dams are named "Susan") was a 2x Shooting Dog CH.
Her first championship was the National Amateur Walking Shooting Dog Championship
in Oct. of 2002 held at Greenwood Forest, NJ (52 starters). Her
Second championship was the Region 2 Walking Shooting Dog Championship in
Oct. 2003 also held at Greenwood Forest, NJ (30 starters). Open wins/placements
are not known (by me). 'Susan' & 'Bodidlee' were owned by Rich Guiliano.

Impressive Lady Sue's dam is Crossroads Sue (yet another "Sue"), whose sire is Mrawsum,
at least a 5x CH/RU CH in Open Shooting Dog competition. Mrawsum's accomplishments
in 1998 alone included:

- South Carolina Open Shooting Dog Champion
- New England Open Shooting Dog of the Year
- New York Open Shooting Dog of the Year
- National Pheasant Shooting Dog Champion

(not a bad year!)

Then, 5 years later in 2003, Mrawsum was named the winner of both the Keystone Shooting Dog Championship
as well as the Atlantic Coast Shooting Dog Championship. He qualified for the Shooting Dog Invitational Championship 3 times.

The Sire's side of this pedigree speaks for itself...... it's a veritable "who's who" of pretty well recognized field trial Champions with two "Blue Hens" thrown in for good measure. But it's the Dam's side of this breeding that I feel flew under the radar for most folks........ that Bulltown topside bred to Dvorak's & Guiliano's "Sue's" is throwin' some smart, biddable, big-going Shooting Dogs who are winning. Then take one of those bitch's and bred her to the 2012-13 #1 Purina Points Open Shooting Dog........... the sky is the limit. My goal is to not screw this puppy up before he goes to Mike Tracy this summer to be broke out.

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Mrawsum was also the sire of 8xCh 4xRu Sugarknoll Buckshot. Who has gone on to sure many winners himself. I believe he was scheduled to breed Hannabell before she died. I'm a Our Big Bully fan and Richfield is a definite name in the Shooting Dog world. Of course the top side is automatic, I want a black headed bitch by Westfall's Black Ice. So yes I'm familiar, good looking dog even if his pedigree was mud.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 am

SNEFTC_AWP_2nd.JPG
Here's a picture from this past Sunday at the Southern New England Field Trial Club's Spring Classic held at Arcadia Mgmt. Area in Exeter, RI. Bodhi managed to place 2nd in the Amateur Puppy Classic with a good run, showing alot of independence & animation while using the wind well. After a 400 yard breakaway, Bodhi was gone for about a minute when the course took a hard right (and he kept going straight!). I got him back to the front and he hit edges & objectives pretty hard all the way until pick up. There were some great folks at this trial- handlers, judges, and members of the club putting the trial on. Oh yeah, Bodhi was the youngest dog in the stake- again!

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GrayDawg

Re: First three trials, three placements !!

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 am

CNEBC_OPup_1st.jpg
This past Sunday, I ran Bodhi in an Open Puppy stake at the Central New England Brittany Club's spring trial at Flaherty in East Windsor, CT. Bodhi chewed up the Open Puppy course !! He broke away and went 500-550 yards before he looked back over his shoulder to get my 20.

He put down a strong forward race & for his first time being cut loose on the Flaherty grounds, Bodhi sure looked like he had been there before! He dug in, used the wind well & handled nice. This dog is all done running Puppy Stakes. Derby stakes only until Bodhi gets broke out this summer. There were 14 dogs in this horseback handled stake.

Rob