From NY to MD for NAVHDA

John S

From NY to MD for NAVHDA

Post by John S » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Hello everyone, I'm bringing Scout down to the Potomac Chapter for a NA test in April. This is the only test available before he is overage. Are there any Potomac Members her that can offer advice on the test or the area? I'm told that there is a camping area onsite and we will most likely camp there for the weekend.

Also, any other advice in final preps for the test? Unfortunately I learned of NAVHDA very late and Scout may not be very well prepared for the NA Test. Is it possible that I am doing him a disservice even testing him this late in the game? He will be 16 mos old the day of the test. I've read that some people get hung up on ensuring that their dog scores a prize 1. Is it really that important?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: From NY to MD for NAVHDA

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 am

In all reality. Not that important. It is just a tool for the breeder, but only if the dog is not actually trained to pass the test. What one would do generally is introduce the dog to the different parts of the test, to different grounds, get them swiming, get them happy and conifdent. Go have fun, and you and your dog will learn some. It is a good venue to learn how to train a well rounded hunting dog.

I have two that failed their NA and one is a VC and the other I believe will head that direction. I have three that had 110 pz1 that only one is a MH the other to are great hunters but I do not believe but one would pass a UT and I would have to get back on the horse to get her where she needs to be.
Don't worry to much about score. You know what you have for a dog long before you go to the test. NAVHDA is a great well rounded tool for breeders, handlers, and to get your dog trained.

Go have fun.
Rick
Last edited by Ruffshooter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Gooseman07

From NY to MD for NAVHDA

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I don't know much about where exactly they test but I was just there last weekend to train. They are some very knowledgable people and I'm sure would be willing to help you if you get in a bind with your dog. The place where we trained was an open field with tree fence rows. I didn't do any water work as it was 40 degrees. Good luck!!!

philrosenbaum

Re: From NY to MD for NAVHDA

Post by philrosenbaum » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 pm

I am member of Potoamc and will be volunteering at the test. Hoping to run Ut in the fall. Good luck and hope to meet you at the test!