Qualified!!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Qualified!!

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am

Not a shining moment for Kimber but non the less she ran in the N. AZ GSPC field trial in amateur gun dog. It was a qualifying event for the region 12 AFTCA amateur walking shooting dog championship.

After arriving at 330 am and sleeping till 630 we got her to the starting line and let her run. It seemed as though she was really tired and hit every objective on the front streatch to an extent I would call objective ADD. Once we reached the turn she opened up to put some distance between us and disappeared over the far hill. I sent Matt (dezasterous gun dogs) to scout her for me and he had her going forward just off the side.

About 5 minutes later he still had her and after some handling errors on my part I looked over my left shoulder to see Matt holding up his hat about 200 yards off the side, on the back side of a little hill, she nailed a bird on a nice piece of cover. Without saying a word to her I got down, walked over and chased the heck out of this bird, he hopped and the judge gave me the nod to blank it. She didn't move a toenail and was solid without loosing intensity. I moved her on and she handled the rest of the course with a little handling but a nice forward race away from the horsetrack.

In placements she received her first fourth place finish , but still qualified to run in the AFTCA championship.

NC Quailhunter

Re: Qualified!!

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 am

Congratulations on a qualifying run. Good job Kimber! I am sure the bugs will be out of your game by then and you guys will tear it up. Congrats again.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 pm

I will have to thank Matt for that one! He had a moral choice to make and didn't ride past Kimber. AND I KNOW HE THOUGHT ABOUT IT!

Also Carl Porter was a huge help and treated me like a customer. Would highly recommend him to anyone looking to trial their dog.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Congratulations on the qualification.

If I get off my butt and tune up my dog, maybe I will see you at the championship

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I'll be driving the car down to save on gas. If you want to go bird hunting Sunday I'm always game1

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm

How does the white ribbon make for a AFTCA qual? They place 3 in AF and AFTCA. Just curious.
Dan

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 pm

It was dual sanctioned AKC and AF . I don't know how it all works out but was told it counts and to enter her, or nUns not. I just read I was supposed to have a form filled out and signed before leaving the trial, but all examples were for an AFTCA event only and did not cover dual sanctioned. I'll research it further. Also to get a certificate it says 6-8 weeks and that alone would be over the time to compete in the championship..... Hummm.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 am

In placements she received her first fourth place finish , but still qualified to run in the AFTCA championship.
Good job man but I'm with Dan, not sure a 4th place qualifies you to run in AF championships...?? At least I've never heard of it. The other thing is the club needs to be in good standing with AFTCA and I didn't see them listed on AFTCA website as having paid dues which I know has caused dogs to be denied their qualifications in the past to the disappointment of the handlers who believed they were good to go. I see the Arizona Bird Dog Club and Arizona Pointing Dog Club appear up to date but I don't see any Arizona GSPC clubs...?? http://www.aftca.org/clubs_paid/clubs_paid_list.php Anyway, hopefully you just get a win cert from the AFTCA in the mail and you'll be good to go (you don't typically have to wait for the win cert to enter championships though unless the club hosting the championship is being a stickler about it - I've qualified dogs one day and ran them in championships the next). Might be worth a call or email to Piper Huffman to find out if you and the dog are good to go (handlers have to be qualified as well ya' know! :wink: )

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm

From AFTCA By Laws and Running Rules:

Section 1. This Corporation shall record the winners in stakes sponsored by active members of the Corporation when handled by amateurs, and shall issue certificates, signed by the President and Secretary of this Corporation, to owners of such winning dogs, provided, however:

(a) The dog is registered with the FDSB at the time of such placement.
(b) The sponsoring member shall have paid to this Corporation membership dues as determined by the Board for the year in which the trial is held ($100.00 as of June 2012); and
(c) The sponsoring member shall have received a license from the corporation for such trial; and
(d) The member conforms to the “Minimum Requirements” as set out herein in Chapter 2, in conducting said trial; and
(e) The member appoints a Stake Manager to oversee the running of the trial; and
(f) The sponsoring member certifies the winner, or winners of its stakes to the Secretary of this Corporation within thirty days after the close of the trials at which said win, or wins, was made, giving such information as may be required by the Secretary of this Corporation; and
(g) That in stakes with a minimum of three dogs competing, one win certificate will be issued. In stakes with four or five dogs competing, two placements only will be recognized. In stakes with six or more dogs competing, three placements, with no division of any place, will be recognized; and
(h) Winner’s certificates will not be issued by this Corporation for wins in amateur or open stakes where a cash purse is accepted by the handler, owner or owner’s agent of a dog awarded a placement; and
(i) That win certificates will be issued by this Corporation except as noted in (h) of this Section for dogs and handlers winning placements in open stakes recognized by The American Field Publishing Company if said dogs are handled by an amateur who is associated with a member club, and any scout used by the amateur handler during the running is also an amateur. Within the meaning of this Section, an “All-Age Stake” shall include Open All-Age Championships and OpenAll-Age Stakes. A “Shooting Dog Stake” shall include Open Shooting Dog Championships and Open Shooting Dog Stakes. A “Derby Stake” shall include all Open Derby Championships, Open Derby Stakes and recognized Futurities, provided that the club is a member of the AFTCA.

So my interpretation...if your dog was registered with FDSB at time of placement, the hosting club was in good standing having paid their dues and they conformed to "Minimum Requirements", there were more than 6 dogs entered in the stake, your dog placed in the top 3, you didn't accept any prize money, and your scout wasn't a professional...you should be good to go. That sound right??

Looking thru the list of AFTCA clubs I can find only one GSP club, 4 Lakes GSP Club in WI, that is listed as an active club. Tons of brittany clubs as they seem to have the dual sanction thing down - us stubtail folks can't seem to quite get'r figured out!! :lol: :lol: I qualified a couple dogs years ago with the GSPC of Utah but they haven't paid their AFTCA dues, or Regional dues, in several years. http://www.aftca.org/clubs/clubs_list.php

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm thinking your right and someone did not know the qualification rules, and gave me some miss information. My fault also. Should change the title to Almost qualified!!! Lol

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 am

Doug,

Things get fuzzy for amateurs who place dogs (owned by them) in an open stake. I recently won a open stake, the winner's purse was like $330. I took the money, but gave up the amateur win cert....as I already have one for myself and the dog. People were of the belief that if I took the money, then I would be considered a pro...wrong.

I donated $200 back to the club.

I hadn't thought (realized) about the scout being a pro (in an open stake) affecting the AFTCA win cert....good to know, and makes sense.
Dan

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Out west I think there is a little more crossover between the longtails and the continental breeds so maybe I'm off base here, but here goes.

Most GSP Clubs if they chose to dual sanction their trial as an AF FT do so under the umbrella of the National German Shorthaired Pointer Association, or the NGSPA.

Sometimes its a bit fuzzy as to how the dual sanctioning works and what a placement qualifies for at an AKC/NGSPA trial.

Here are a couple articles from the NGSPA which I'm sure will make everything as clear as mud.....

http://www.ngspa.org/entry-qualifications.html

http://www.ngspa.org/downloadable-forms ... 5B1%5D.pdf

1doogie

Post by 1doogie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Way to go!!! :D

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Here are a couple articles from the NGSPA which I'm sure will make everything as clear as mud.....

http://www.ngspa.org/entry-qualifications.html

http://www.ngspa.org/downloadable-forms ... 5B1%5D.pdf
Those links reference the criteria to enter an NGSPA Ch. We are talking about qualifying for AFTCA Ch's and the qualification criteria is the same east/west/north/south/longtail/shorttail/etc. - no matter where ya' run. If the GSP clubs doing "dual sanctioned" trials would pay their memberships to the AFTCA they'd have all bases covered for the placing dogs to go participate in the large majority of championships no matter the venue - AFTCA, open AF, NGSPA.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:53 am

Doug

I was wondering if by chance the hosting club may have been confused with what exactly they were dual sanctioned for.

I agree with you that it would be beneficial to all if GSP clubs were sanctioning their trials AFTCA also. I think it would be good for everyone if there was more good shortailed dogs entering AFTCA or AF championships. We had a guy in this area win one of the Region 19 championships a few years ago, but had the championship voided since he didnt have a valid AFTCA win certificate. A real shame.

A few years ago I spoke with Linda Hunt about the GSPC of MInnesota joining the AFTCA and having our trials rum AKC/AFTCA. If my memory serves me right there was an issue with the retrieving that made it impractical. The AKC requires live ammo in killing birds for the retrieve but the AFTCA wont sanction a trial where live ammo is used in any stake. I havent given up and am exploring options to make this happen.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 am

There was one stake that was dual sanctioned with AFTCA for the sole purpose of qualifying dogs (pointer and setter also placed). It was AM gun dog only.

Then another ngspa championship was run in the dame trial but OLGD only.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Was this the trial? If so, it says member of AFTCA and Reg. 12 so placements should be good to go as far as qualifying for Am SD Ch's...still not sure on the 4th place deal though.

NORTHERN ARIZONA
GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER CLUB
Member AFTCA & Region 12 • Blank Ammo & Manufactured Barrel Guns Only!
NOVEMBER 9 • PAULDEN, AZ • STARTS 7:30 A.M.
Grounds: From I-40 in Ash Fork, take exit 146 and go south on Hwy. 89 for 23
miles. Turn left just past mile marker 339 on Verde Ranch Rd. and follow signs to
grounds. No training on grounds. Certified weed-free hay or pellets required.
Entries Close: Monday, November 5, 5:00 PM. Drawing: Monday, November 5,
5:15 P.M., at 1050 Pronghorn Trail, Chino Valley, AZ 86323.
AMATEUR SHOOTING DOG (30 Min.) ....................................$50.00
Trophy to 1st place • Ribbons awarded to top 4 dogs
Judges: Dave Hayes and Todd Fielitz
For information, contact: Don Lee, Chmn.—(928) 713-9961 [Dewey, AZ]
Entries to: PAT LEE, Secretary
c/o Arlene Walker, 1050 Pronghorn Trail, Chino Valley, AZ 86323
All entries accepted on the premise that the clubs, their officials, members and landowners
are released from all liabilities for loss, damage, or injury sustained by dog, horse or man in
connection with, or during the running of these trials.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 pm

That would be it. There is a dual sanctioned walking trial (akc and American Field) so I entered her into open gun dog and amateur gun dog. It's close and hopefully I can get a higher placement and not try to pull teeth :)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Ultra, which trial is not far from you that is a walking AF and AKC trial?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ultra, which trial is not far from you that is a walking AF and AKC trial?
South coast vizsla club... California city, clay mine road.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Since when did the SCVC host an AF trial?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 am

Weird right?!? Hey I'm not looking at it as a bad thing. Premium says in bold capital letters....... All I can say is I'm running in open and amateur gun dog and open puppy.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 am

My premium says nothing about AF and since its my home club with 30min walking stakes and judges like Karla, I don't want you getting your hopes up. I'm probably not entering so maybe I missed something but the SCVC has never wanted anything to do with AF.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 am

I havent seen the Premium for the SCVC trial at all. Looking at the American Field website calender, they do list the FT http://americanfield.villagesoup.com/p/ ... 116/130418

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 am

I found it listed on the SCVC site but the AKC premium doesn't say anything. It also lists 2 different closing times so it has me baffled. Heck, maybe I'll come run on Sunday only.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am

Ha ha I know what you mean Jeff. No hopes up that's why I entered her in both. If you want I can email you the premium.... AKC doesn't list if its dual sanctioned on any trial.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 am

I have calls in and will decide if I'm gonna enter AGD. I know that I've been saying this for almost a year, but that would be my last run here before moving to Texas.