It's official...........dock doggie

wems2371
GDF Junkie

It's official...........dock doggie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Well, I’m a little late in getting this announcement done, but Roxi is now an official Dock Doggie (video below). On September 6th, we went a couple hours west to Urbandale, Iowa to attend a Pheasants Forever Event. There were several dog venues, and one of them was Dock Dogs. Dock Dogs is exactly that, dogs jumping off the dock into a pool, with the distance jumped being measured from the dock to the base of the dog’s tail as it breaks the water. Roxi loves water and we had her at a relatives farm pond, jumping off of his small dock a few times this summer...so we thought she would be a natural. While we were there, we were educated by the regulars and learned on our own that Dock Dogs is a little different from the dog’s perspective.

After we entered Roxi, there was a practice session. First she had to go up a metal staircase, which was new to her. Then she was up on the 40’ long dock that is maybe 4’ high. Clint ran up, teased her, and threw her bumper in the pool to no avail. From what we were told, that is not uncommon at all. Most dogs aren’t use to the 2’ drop to the clear water, and it screws up their depth perception and increases the fear factor. Clint was bummed, but we’d paid our entry fee, so we decided that we may as well give it a try.

When it was Roxi’s turn to do a competitive jump, she got to the end of the dock and again refused. You only have 90 seconds to get your dog to jump, and you can’t touch your dog. Clint then gave it his all--see video. I could kick myself in the butt, but in the last few seconds I turned the video off—thinking she wouldn’t do it:( And what do you know, she jumped 4’6”. No, it doesn’t compare to the experienced dog’s jumps, but it was neat just the same and Clint got high praise from the judges (and me) for giving it his all (and getting soaked). I think the shortest jump I’ve seen recorded on the DD site was like 1.5’, and that dog must have fell in:) Each dog gets two jumps, but when it was Roxi’s turn to go again, Clint was unsuccessful. Her bumper was thrown too far out, which is hard on a new dog, as it seems less attainable. She all but fell in, but still clung tight to the dock. We watched several dogs that morning that refused all together, and one that even went so far as to jump off of the side of the platform twice. Roxi’s jump put her in the Novice Class of 10’ and under and she got 4th for her group. I was tickled pink. While we won’t be traveling all over to compete, I hope to attend an event or two next year in my area. Now it's time to get back to the bird training. :lol: Denise

The beginning at the farm pond (posted this a few months ago):
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... 644d9c.pbr

Roxi's first ever Dock Dog performance:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... CN2989.flv

Some photos taken recently at the farm pond:

My new avatar????
Last edited by wems2371 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiki's Mom

Re: It's official...........

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Very Cool! Congrats and great pics.

1vizsla

Re: It's official...........dock doggie

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Congrats! I know how you feel. Our Vizsla , Dyson, loves to jump at home but will not jump in competition (he fell off as a young pup and now has a confidence issue with that dock). Did you happen to talk to Sue Barnes with Tanner (GSP). She is really good at helping new dogs. She even has Lucky (GSP) jumping . I think her website is www.mytdog.com (you may have to google it if it is not right).

Carla
MoKan Dock Dogs

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks. Yes, we ran into Sue Barnes right away. Very nice lady and very helpful. She was the one that gave us all the tips. I think we might've gotten the 2nd jump too, if my husband hadn't thrown the dummy out 20' :( Oh well, there's always next year. :D

It was very interesting to see the different dog's/handler's style on the dock. There was one gentleman in a wheel chair, that would sit his dog down at the far end and then wheel himself to the water's edge to throw the dummy. While he was wheeling to the other end, the dog would creep down the 40' runway. If the gentleman looked over his shoulder, the dog would stop stone still--like he had never moved. When the gentleman stopped at the water's edge and turned toward his dog, who had now crept 15', he gave his dog a command...........and the dog actually bunny hopped backwards to where it had originally been seated. It was comical and amazing to see. Just a lot of different styles to be seen, and really a lot of different breeds of dogs (and mixes) present. Everyone seemed to be cheering everyone else on and it was a fun friendly environment.

Are you only training at home, or are you part of a club? How long have you been doing Dock Dogs? There aren't many events near me, so it'll just be a nice occasional activity for us, but I can see how it could be addictive too. :roll: Denise

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 pm

I Lmao watching Clint try his whatever you call it on the dock. That is worlds most funniest video stuff, if you would have only had tapped when Roxi went in.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Randy--I give Clint an A+ for his lack of inhibition. A paid $20 entry fee, pride in his pup (or frustration), and me video taping were his motivator. :lol: Clint just loves it :twisted: when he's in my emails and posts. Not only do I kick myself for missing the jump, but I wish I'd used the camera that has sound. Roxi was barking her stub tail off in excitement the entire time on the dock!

Hey, Congrats on your NAVHDA NA back in August at Hawkeye. Just saw it in the October magazine. Denise

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:41 am

I could see her excitment in the video!
Oz did really well until the track where he followed track untill a cover change and then he would start into search mode. The track problem then came back to effect his over all nose score. The judges judged him the same as I would have so a fair score for what they saw out of him that day. He had some nice points and retrieves in the north woods on Grouse and woodcock earlier this month so the fun has begun. After the season is over force breaking and steadiness starts.

pear

Post by pear » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:45 am

Good Job. I think the Dock Jumping would be a great thing to try someday. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:39 am

The guy in the wheelchair was probably Ryan and his black lab Kanya. Really nice family and an amazing dog (that does like to creep). They have quite a few dogs that are amazing and talented in other sports also. Goes to show that even with a disability, you can still particiapte in life. We also have another guy Mike McWilliams and Browning that jumped a few months after losing part of his leg in a boating accident. These guys are really great competitors.

We are part of a club (actually President of said club) and yes, Dyson jumps at practice too, just not on the competition dock but we are working on that. We started in 2005 with Elvis but had to retire him early due to medical reasons. My other two dogs are Shiba's and don't do water. So Dyson is our next best effort. However, in Des Moines, he fell off the dock instead of jumped and went underwater and since then won't jump off a competition dock. He's a jumping fool at home though. We say we are on the "Lucky" plan, going to take us three years to jump.

Sue won the "Sportsman of the Year" award at Nationals this year. Tanner won the Gracie Award again (Best Veteran) and won the Veteran divison Finals (again). It really is an addicting activity and fun for the dogs. If you have any questions, you can always email me.

Carla

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 am

Hey congrats Denise and give Clint my congrats also especially for not giving up ..It looked as though Roxi was having a great time tail going hard the whole time..Looked like a lot of fun.. The video was great to watch..Makes me wanna go check out one of them dock dogs tests if they are ever in this area.

love the new avatar to
looks like superdog, almost as if she's flying

Dennis (AKA)Briarpatch