In desperate need of Pigeons!

Forum rules
1) All SUBMIT YOUR SITE submissions must be related to topics of hunting, hunting dogs (and field trial horses), game animals/birds, hunting dog competitions, or related services, equipment, supplies, etc.

2) You must be the owner or authorized agent of the website that you're submitting for listing
Danro

In desperate need of Pigeons!

Post by Danro » Tue May 16, 2006 11:44 am

My brittany is about 18 months old and I want to start to train him seriously. I've tried everything to get a hold of pigeons to start him on. I've tried trapping them, but with no success. I've checked all sorts of pigeon clubs but I don't want to spend big money. I've tried to find bird dog trainers in my area but also with no success. I thought about buying quail but I also don't want to spend alot of money. Does anyone know where to buy strong, CHEAP pigeons around the suburbs of Philadelphia?

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Tue May 16, 2006 12:15 pm

I am in Philadelphia let me see what I can come up with. My dad use to raise them and race them.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue May 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Have you checked with members of your closest NAVHDA club?
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:57 am

Their is a place called Cammy's thats the guys name also he lives in Andalosha (SP) if your near their you can look him up he would be able to sell you a pair. Now this was a couple of years back and his price was 15.00 a pair. My dad don't know his price's now it's been awhile. He has a buddy Ray that he could see if he is getting rid of some old ones if he could send them your way.

As far as the street peigons, I would not even want to catch them they are loaded with all kinds of lice and god knows what else LOL.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed May 17, 2006 11:39 am

GSP4619 wrote:As far as the street peigons, I would not even want to catch them they are loaded with all kinds of lice and god knows what else LOL.
Really? Any more than wild game birds?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 17, 2006 11:48 am

If you are willing to drive to Illinois I can supply you with about as many homers as you would want. Have to check with the people around here that have them but I'll bet I can get 30 or 40 without any trouble aand probably many times that even.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:08 pm

Ayres I don't know about that. City peigons here eat all kinds of crap like people's food that they toss in garbage. At my old place when I would take Ava to this baseball field. Their was this guy he would feed these street peigons stale bread, lettuce was out their and another time made me gag could not go their again he threw out raw groundmeat.

If you seen a Philadelphia street peigon especialy the ones that live in the train stations they are very sick looking.

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed May 17, 2006 1:20 pm

I thought about trying to catch mourning doves, as there are alot around here. They seem too smart to catch with a pigeon trap like mine. I haven't had any luck yet. Are they just as good for training as pigeons are?

pear

Post by pear » Wed May 17, 2006 1:43 pm

I'd be real careful using Morning Doves. They are considered a Migratory Bird, thus protected by Federal Law...Don't think I'd be using them myself. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Yeah I guess your right. There is a season here in Pennsylvania but its long since over.