In the air...

tbne22

In the air...

Post by tbne22 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Are any of you out there private pilots or knows someone who flys with their dogs in small planes? I'm curious how well a dog can handle the flight considering the noise and motion...

also if you do fly with your dogs if you can give any helpful tips or anything i need to be aware of if i do so.

thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:01 pm

The couple guys I know that are pilots that take their dogs didn't ahve any problems..
The dogs were used to being crated in the truck.and took to the plane with the same excitement of going somewhere
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:53 pm

I worked for a guy up in Alaska that regularly flew his dogs in his Cessna 180 and Otter. He never had a problem.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:16 am

We recently flew three dogs from Tucson to Alb. New Mexico. One of them laid in the seat next to us and the other two were in crates. They didnt seem to mind at all. If you are worried give them some benedryl it will make them sleepy. That was some advise I was given.

Have fun.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I've got a couple of clients/freinds that fly thier dogs in everything from piper cubs to lier jets. One guy even took the copilot's seat out and put a dog box there so his little girl could see where she was going and keep him company on long flights. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 pm

I've flown my dogs many times in our plane (Cessna 182RG) I just put a crate on the back seat and bungie it down to the seatbelt fasteners. I have only had one dog get queasy and that was because there was a lot of turbulence.

We also flew a bitch that I co-own in a Baron 58 (what a SWEEEEEET ride!!!) I flew right seat while my friend's client piloted (it is his plane). LOL My friend who I co-own her with sat in back and got sick. The bitch was fine.

You can give a little bit of ginger to the dog pre-flight if you think it might get queasy.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Start em young, I have one rides on my ATV :) while I deer hunt. Pop up blind thing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

dustertoo

Post by dustertoo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:31 pm

I flew my GSP from Southern Indiana to Perfection Kennels North of Kansas City (over 500 miles) non-stop in my single engine Beechcraft with no problem whatsoever.

I pulled the back seats to make room for the crate, told her to kennel through the baggage door...in she went, laid down and didn't make a sound for the next 3-1/2 hours.

It was a nice cool clear fall day, so i only flew about 3,500' msl, if I had flown higher I would have taken the time for a slow descent to avoid plugged ears.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 pm

I pulled the back seats to make room for the crate, told her to kennel through the baggage door...in she went, laid down and didn't make a sound for the next 3-1/2 hours.
I've had thoughts of pulling the rear seats but it would be such a pain in the neck! I like using the crate for safety sake in case of a rough landing or turbulance. I start my pups out flying at about 4 mos. of age. I haven't done my current litter yet. Haven't been doing much flying lately because of so much dog stuff going on.

The Baron had only four seats in it. The owner had pulled the rest because he likes to haul cargo in it. LOL He even hauled a miniature donkey in it!!

Flew a Cherokee Six with a couple of dogs one time. Great cargo space but man what a gas guzzler!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH