YEAH! Shorthair WINS

snips
GDF Junkie

YEAH! Shorthair WINS

Post by snips » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 pm

Congrats to the Shorthair that took BIS at Westminster. What a show she put on!
brenda

birddog

Post by birddog » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:17 pm

I just finished watching the show. That Shorthair was fabulous. What a wonderful accomplishment for you Shorthair people. Congrats!
Janet
Last edited by birddog on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:17 pm

That was awesome! Lins and I couldn't believe the free-stack she had!

Coveyrise64

GSP

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:18 pm

Just saw that on FOX News. Kinda makes you proud to own a Shorthair. Hopefully I can catch a rerun of the show.

Coveyrise64

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:39 pm

I left dog class tonite early to get home and see the Sporting Group. Makes me want to go back and practice Chugs free-stack! I think that is the fist time I have seen them give it to the actual dog that WON IT. I kept cringing waiting for them to give it to that fuzz ball. Janet, I thought the Wire was georgous too. Did any of you V people think the V`s tail was a little happy?
brenda

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:07 am

That shorthair put on a SHOW!! Total shorthair personality if you were watching her in the background, like we were. Still confused as to why the terrier and the fuzzball are so darn popular with the commentators. I'm not a V person, nor is my boyfriend, but we both noticed how that V's tail just stuck straight up 100% of the time...looked kinda strange.

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:05 am

For those of us who missed it here is a slideshow

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/galleries/ ... TE=DEFAULT

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 am

How about the shorthairs!

Brian W

Post by Brian W » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:22 am

I got goosebumps when that dog hit her free stack. I told my wife that's the winner, I don't care who the judge picks.

I always pull for the sporting breeds, and that GSP carried the day.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 am

[quote="Brian W"]I got goosebumps when that dog hit her free stack. I told my wife that's the winner, I don't care who the judge picks.
quote]

I agree, the best dog won it.

gsprescuewi

Post by gsprescuewi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:07 am

I was excited too, however, in rescue we look at this two ways:

1) A GSP took Best in Show, so now we have exposure. That is good.

2) A GSP won, so now everyone and their brother will be wanting a GSP from a breeder, and expect a perfect show dog, and in 6 months when that does not take place, rescue will be over flowing with the novelties.

I pray for number one more then two. Lisa

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:42 pm

I was just coming here to post the article I found.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... t/dog_show

picture
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 0602160452

Definately a good looking dog. Wonder if she can hunt?

Brian W

Post by Brian W » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 pm

gsprescuewi wrote:I was excited too, however, in rescue we look at this two ways:

1) A GSP took Best in Show, so now we have exposure. That is good.

2) A GSP won, so now everyone and their brother will be wanting a GSP from a breeder, and expect a perfect show dog, and in 6 months when that does not take place, rescue will be over flowing with the novelties.

I pray for number one more then two. Lisa
I had those same thoughts. To an extent, #2 will happen. The commentators were remarking about the increased demand for the winning breed. It always happens. Since GSP's are bred more for sport than for show, hopefully breeders will do a good job of redirecting potential impulse buyers. They should be pretty easy to spot.

Remember when Disney re-released 101 Dalmations? Man there were a bunch of dalmations in the wrong homes after that.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:57 pm

I missed the show. What was the shorthairs full name? I know they called her Carlee.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:49 pm

I was excited too, but in normal life we look at this in three ways.

1. It's great to see one of my favorite breeds win. Great advertisement for the breed.

2. It's great that we will have more people wanting GSP puppies. Of course when there are more dogs there will be more that will get into pounds.

3. Luckily we have a rescue organization set up who are willing to take these dogs and find homes for them. Possibly with more dogs to place the people involved in rescue will let common sense take over and they will place these dogs with people who are willing to take them and give them a good home. But in all seriousness there will be very little increase of GSP's found in pounds.

Lisa, your passion shows in your posts but I truely hope common sense will replace some of that passion. People in Iraq that demonstrate more passion than common sense are called terrorist. We also have groups in this country that are in the same catagory. We sure don't need our rescue organizations to become the same type of organization. It concerns me when you refer to dogs as people and also any dog that has been rescued being refered to as one of your own.

Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still dogs. They deserved to be treated as good and humanely as possible and when they are loved, even in a less than ideal home it is a whole lot better than a foster home or a pound. Lets hope rescue wakes up to the fact and starts placing dogs in homes where the people want them instead of in the ideal surroundings without the love that appears to be happening now.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:57 am

Well said ezzy!

gsprescuewi

Post by gsprescuewi » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:13 am

Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still dogs. They deserved to be treated as good and humanely as possible and when they are loved, even in a less than ideal home it is a whole lot better than a foster home or a pound. Lets hope rescue wakes up to the fact and starts placing dogs in homes where the people want them instead of in the ideal surroundings without the love that appears to be happening now.
?????????????

Ok, I'm counting to 10.....so you think placing a dog in a LESS THEN IDEAL SITUATION IS BETTER THEN the shelter of a dog pound or even living in MY HOME?? What is that?

NO, this is the way it is. These dogs may only be dogs to you, but they are much more to us. You cannot just merely place a dog in any situation, all la-de-dah easy as that. Each dog has needs, each person who wants a dog has wants. You MUST coordinate all of that or it won't work and we'll have to take the dog back with more baggage they did not need, and start all over again. When I refer to them as "our own" I mean, just that...they came into our rescue, meaning "our own". We make ourselves responsible for that dog's best interest. We want the best for them, even if we have to hold on to a dog until we find that right home. I'm not waivering from that reasoning, because I know the results.

msparks

Post by msparks » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:48 am

Brian W wrote:
gsprescuewi wrote:I was excited too, however, in rescue we look at this two ways:

Since GSP's are bred more for sport than for show, hopefully breeders will do a good job of redirecting potential impulse buyers. They should be pretty easy to spot.

Remember when Disney re-released 101 Dalmations? Man there were a bunch of dalmations in the wrong homes after that.
My GSP comes from Show stock(they hunt too :) ) anyhow, no matter how you slice it, they are a handful. Not for the timid of dog owners. Lots of energy!!!

OnPointRescue

Post by OnPointRescue » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:12 am

ezzy333 wrote: They deserved to be treated as good and humanely as possible and when they are loved, even in a less than ideal home it is a whole lot better than a foster home or a pound. Lets hope rescue wakes up to the fact and starts placing dogs in homes where the people want them instead of in the ideal surroundings without the love that appears to be happening now.
Ezzy
I don't know Lisa personally but I will back her 100% on the fact that the above statement is bogus. If you think that placing a GSP in a less ideal home is better than being in a foster home while waiting for the perfect home to come along, then you need to learn a little more about how a true rescue organization works and operates. I currently am caring for several foster dogs that are treated like they are my own, they eat, sleep, and live inside my house just like my two personal dogs, which aren't even Pointers. The rescue organizations will be the ones coming up behind you cleaning up your mess for placing GSP's in just any home.

Kelly

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:40 pm

I don't think that "less than ideal" equates to "just any old".

Some of the rescue orgs are doing it right. Some are, frankly, over the top.

YMMV,

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:12 pm

We are not a shelter. We live on a Hunting & Fishing club where stray dogs quickly make trouble! We live in an area with MANY MANY stray and dumped dogs of all shapes and sizes. Many chase deer, kill quail, raid the pens, and carry disease. I cannot foster them all. The problem is too big. I see maybe 5 or more every month. Many are born ferel and I can not get near them. But many are friendly and I try hard to place as many as possible.
The "local" shelters are full and accept few adult dogs annually and puppies slightly more often. I de-worm, vaccinate, and start training those that I can place to make them as likely to succeed in their new homes as I can. But to me, a loving home, even if they may not do everything as I think they should - is better than watching that dog starve, get shot for raiding local farms, or hit by cars. I have seen 6 dogs on the road near our house killed by cars this year! Soooo... for those that are willing to foster the dogs for a lifetime, I commend you. As for me I just try to do my best
(As for any puppies that we breed - that is a different story! Buyers are screened and picked carefully)
Any dog I have ever placed or sold is welcome back should their homes not work out. But I hope they all do work out!

Stepping off the soap box now :oops:
Currently placing a Corgi Mix... PM for more info

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:41 pm

Who makes the choice as to an ideal home, what is "ideal" to one person is not to the other.

What criteria does someone need to make these choices. If I get involved in rescue, will I be deciding who gets a dog in a few months? appling my own personal opinions to the mix.

What if someone kennels there dog? Sounds like that is unacceptable to you rescue people.? Doesn't mean there not loved and worked/hunted everyday?

What about someone who crates them all day while at work? Acceptable to many....animal abuse to others.

What about the guy who feeds the $10 a bag feed... where do you draw the line lisa.

Worst of all what about the person who keeps three or more dogs locked in their basement while they are at work. :wink:

Everyone's view is different. Does make it wrong because it's different than what you do. Hence why demanding things be done your way rubs people the wromg way.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:31 pm

Hey did you all hear a german shorthair pointer won at some dog show. Wow who would have believed a dog so ugly would win a beauty contest. :lol: Well that's great.
Now if only we could solved the problems of the rest of the world.
Mountaindogs thanks for your effort in trying to solve a terrible dog situation.
Rescue people thanks for your effort in trying to solve a terrible dog situation.
:salute:
Congraulation to Carlee :D what a beauty :o
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:53 pm

Wow who would have believed a dog so ugly would win a beauty contest.
Right, OK, so the dogs who don't spend all day having their hair washed and blowdried and straightened and curled and wrapped and poofed and fluffed are ugly?

On a more serious note, thanks for the much-needed lightheartedness.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Kevin

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:01 pm

What about someone who crates them all day while at work? Acceptable to many....animal abuse to others.

What about the guy who feeds the $10 a bag feed... where do you draw the line lisa.

Worst of all what about the person who keeps three or more dogs locked in their basement while they are at work.
___
Kevin,
(For the record) I am not a rescue person, I do not wish to be one, my hands are full enough. If starving dogs wandered through your yard you'd do what you could too....
:wink:

All of those homes would be far better than a starving dog... in my opinion.

but I have strayed from the topic again...
Popularity for the GSP's can be a great thing! and Carlee did great. I loved watching it... and called all my friends to say YEAH!

And to Grant: I did jump up and stack my dog... but he was a lot more wiggly than Carlee :D

grant
GDF Junkie

Re: Kevin

Post by grant » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:46 pm

mountaindogs wrote:
And to Grant: I did jump up and stack my dog... but he was a lot more wiggly than Carlee :D
Nice!