Western Kansas Road conditions

bobman

Western Kansas Road conditions

Post by bobman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:48 am

I am planning on leaving Sunday Morning for western Kansas should get there monday night and would love anyone thats actually out there to give me so info on road condtions

will be starting sw of Hays and moving until I find a decent area to hunt

WIHA is what I will be on and I dont have a4 wheel drive I do have aggressive snow tires and a locker on my van
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:29 am

Here is a link to the KDOT current road conditions for northwest Kansas. These will change drastically by Sunday/Monday. You can track them on this website (Kansas Department of Transportation)

We had a pretty substantial storm with lots of moisture but temps hovering around freezing. You will find a wide range of road conditions throughout the state. Warmer temps are forecast so your guess is as good as anybody's for what conditions will be this weekend.

http://511.ksdot.org/kanroadpublic/Ksys/KRDefault.asp

tfbirddog2

ks roads

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:57 am

should be mostly good by then expecting maybe more snow friday. also try 511 for ks roads too.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:24 am

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/20 ... htm?csp=34

this makes me nervous, can you guys from KS give me your opinion

I dont want to spend $1,000.00 in fuel to sit in a hotel

what happens to the roads around hays great bend area,when it melts this next week out in the country??
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:51 am

Bobman,

Without 4-wheel drive I would not try to drive the country roads in that part of the state right now - and I have driven in conditions like this all my life. If you had a set destination to hunt and could find out specific information or other people/vehicles for support in an emergency it might be different but to come here planning to pick areas on a map and drive to them seems risky both from a safety and cost perspective. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but I would sure hate for you to get into trouble.

Kevin

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks Kevin thats exactly what I wanted to here, the truth might hurt but not as bad as ignoreing it and ending up stuck up to my axels.

Are they likely to improve/drain if the snow ect quits for a week?

I really do appreciate your straight answer

thanks

Bob

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:41 am

I have a friend that lives in that area I talked to last night. I would only attempt it if I had good tire chains. It's going to be tough hunting (walking) with that much snow as well.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:43 am

Bobman,

I haven't been out west but here in central Kansas the problem is that we got 2-4 inches of rain before the snow and ice.

Also the temperatures have been going back and forth across freezing. This results in a slick muddy slurry on the dirt roads which is tough even with 4 wheel drive and when the temperatures drop at night it freezes the rutted up roads then they go back to the muddy slurry when they thaw during the day.

I think the best scenario would be for temps to either drop so that everything stays frozen all day or for them to rise and stay up so that everything can melt off. It looks like later is not likely to happen within the week. So I guess you should hope for it to get colder here.

Now that's not what I want but I'll understand if you pull for it.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:50 am

Bobman,

The latest forecasts show pretty warm temps for the next week to ten days. As of today it looks like by next weekend your prospects would be much better than they were over the weekend. Sorry for the missed forecast but that's the way Kansas weather is.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:46 am

Our plan right now is to leave the 28th or 29th think.

Do you the roads will be better by then??

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:01 am

As of today it looks like you will be in good shape. The 10 day calls for highs in the low 40's for the most part which should clean things up well by then. I think by the coming weekend most areas should be accessible.

Keep your fingers crossed.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 am

The roads getting any better???

topher40
GDF Junkie

!v

Post by topher40 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I cant tell you what is happening out west but in the NE part of the state you almost need 4 w Drive just to get around on the Main gravel roads. Everything has melted and we didnt get the snow that western Kansas got either. Another front is coming through tonight and they are talking more snow ( 4-6" in NE parts) and Western Kansas always gets more than we do. Check the weather channel cause if they are getting more weather I dont think you would want to drive clear out here without 4 w drive. FWIW.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

tfbirddog2

roads

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm

roads are getting better but talking light snow and wind tonite late and saturday am..we have had a lot of melting this week.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Well, it has snowed all day and I gues we have had about 6" so far and and another 3-6" tonight. They actually closed I-29 all the way to the Iowa border due to "White Out" conditions. i also just heard that I-70 is closed west to Topeka due to accidents. At least we have electricity this time around! :D

Carla

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:51 am

I'm planning on leaving for kansas day after tomorrow how about a road update

thanks

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:08 am

Central Kansas roads are mostly driveable with frozen snow/ice early turning to mud/slush as temps warm through the day. It's still not the greatest conditions but probably safe enough. Be prepared for mud and standing water in the fields as the melting snow has no place to go due to saturation and freezing. Hope you get a report from further north and west. Good Luck...

tfbirddog2

ks roads

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm

We are supposed to get a trace to 8 inches to many predictions but a high of 38 on friday,Sat, and sunday.

JimB

Post by JimB » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Bobman
I live between Hays and Great Bend, and for several days I could only leave my place to go to town when the roads were frozen.

As said before, a trace to 6" is called for over thursday/friday. 6" is not much to worry about, but out here a few inches of snow make for drifts of several feet. The other problem is the impassable roads as it warms up and melts. You might want to make friends with a tow truck driver and invite him to hunt with you
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:21 am

Well I've reluctantly decided I would rather freeze in ND that be stuck in mud in Kansas so I'm going to North Dakota for a week. Hope fully the roads in Ks will improve and I can make another trip around the end of the month

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Bobman,

Good luck in ND. Sorry we couldn't get things cleared out for ya here.

Kevin

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I really appreciate the help I would rather know the truth than find out the hard way, Kansas is a beautiful place and the people are one of the biggest reasons why.

thanks again.