Eat Coot?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Eat Coot?

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:54 pm

Has anyone ever eaten Coot?
How is it?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Been called an ol' coot before does that count?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35 pm

Don't have a clue. I know it seems everything is good if you know how to fix it but I haven't had the experience.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Many years ago, when I lived in Montana I decided to try it. There were coot's everywhere. So I was out in the potholes just south of Kalispell, toward Big Fork and jump shooting a small shallow pond with my lab, Joe.

As luck would have it, there were a ton of them and I shot one that landed on the other side of the pond. Sent Joe, he was a bullet proof retriever. He got to it, snapped it up, turned and started back. He got about two steps and spit it out. Dropped his head and smelled it then just stood there. Well I called him to fetch it again and he started looking around for something to fetch. Finally I called him in and resent him. He went right to it, dropped his head, smelled it then turned and looked at me. Again I called him to fetch it. He starts looking around again and, your not gonna believe this, he picks up one foot while looking around and pushes that coot under the water.

After that I lost my desire to try one. But I understand they do eat them down south. I guess you get your choice down there between baked possum or stewed coot! Yummy!!!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:21 pm

We call em Mud Hens......

We use to shoot them for a old timer where I live.He would boil and boil and boil them until the water was clear and then eat.I think I'll pass.There almost to friendly to shoot.Alot of times when we are duck hunting they swim right up to you and sleep.

AT2

Post by AT2 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:14 pm

I have no idea what you guys are talking about what is a coot.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:29 pm

A coot is a duck that has to "run on the water to take off"

From what I understand coots can taste good but shouldbe taken on a bird by bird basis. If it does not look good then it is not. :? I don't think that duck tastes good in anything but Gumbo with Calamari and Muscles so I would never take a duck that is "marginal"

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm

AT2 wrote:I have no idea what you guys are talking about what is a coot.
WiskeyJaR! :D

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:04 pm

AT2 wrote:

Don wrote:
WiskeyJaR!

Har...thats too good looking to be me :wink:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:02 am

Don wrote:Many years ago, when I lived in Montana I decided to try it. There were coot's everywhere. So I was out in the potholes just south of Kalispell, toward Big Fork and jump shooting a small shallow pond with my lab, Joe.

As luck would have it, there were a ton of them and I shot one that landed on the other side of the pond. Sent Joe, he was a bullet proof retriever. He got to it, snapped it up, turned and started back. He got about two steps and spit it out. Dropped his head and smelled it then just stood there. Well I called him to fetch it again and he started looking around for something to fetch. Finally I called him in and resent him. He went right to it, dropped his head, smelled it then turned and looked at me. Again I called him to fetch it. He starts looking around again and, your not gonna believe this, he picks up one foot while looking around and pushes that coot under the water.

After that I lost my desire to try one. But I understand they do eat them down south. I guess you get your choice down there between baked possum or stewed coot! Yummy!!!

Rick

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:09 am

Well obviously I have not figured this quote thing out.

The Coot were swimming all around my decoys and feeding, ( Make good confidence decoys) A small flock of Mallards came in. I shot one, the coot flew and came right back, I shot him. All the others stayed put. Sent Buster for the to birds. He went by the Coot just giving it a look and went out to the Mallard, brought it back, looked at the coot on the way by. Sent him to get the Coot, he went circled it, I hollered fetch he grabbed it came with in afew feet of the Gheenoe and spit it out would not pick it up.

Maybe that is my clue.

Maybe a neat mount.l

Rick

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Don wrote:Many years ago, when I lived in Montana I decided to try it. There were coot's everywhere. So I was out in the potholes just south of Kalispell, toward Big Fork and jump shooting a small shallow pond with my lab, Joe.

Don, That is a slam against the South and I won't stant for it. I will have you know that we (down south) stopped eating coots and possums as soon as the armadillos showed up. :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:52 pm

You don't have to wrap the armadillos in foil before you put theem on the fire.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 pm

That's right Ezzy....possum on the half shell

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01 pm

ummmm ummm good with a touch or two of tobassco

Ezzy

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03 pm

God I love it! :D :D :D

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 pm

I shot one on my very first duck hunt! I went with a family friend who invited me to his blind because his sons were unable to go.

I got all excited when I hit this thing and his black lab went after it without issue. He gave me the scoop about how he avoids shooting them because they require too much work to become pallatable and that they have pretty sharp nails. I guess he found out the hard way when an injured coot scratched up one of his dogs.

After hearing several stories about their "acquired taste", the large bag limits for these birds makes sense.

I've never tasted one, but I bet it tastes something like a cross between a CA Condor and a Bald Eagle. HA! :D

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:55 pm

I tried to cook a coot when I was a kid. My mom came home and was very upset by the aroma. :lol: It took several days for the smell to go away.

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:46 pm

I have a coonass friend that uses the gizzards in gumbo and he makes a pretty good pot of gumbo. The coot gizzard is larger than a mallard gizzard.
Steve

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:09 pm

A possum makes a better neighbor than a coot! :lol:

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:56 pm

A friend of mine said a coot is a duck crossed with a crow..... :-)

Even though that isn't the case it settled it once and for all that I wouldn't be shooting one.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

I strikes me that thousands upon thousands of shots are taken at Sage Rats every year thousands upon thousands more at Paraire Dogs and tons at Coyotes but once you've shot one coot, your petty much done! Notice that coot doesn't even start with a capitol letter! :D I've known people that eat Possums, Woodchucks and Musk Rats and say their good, no one eats a coot! it's a sad thing to dig out the gut's for dinner and throw the bird away! :D

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:49 pm

A possum makes a better neighbor than a coot!
Hey Ill have ya know...some of us ol' coots are good neighbors, just gotta take us with a large gain of salt is all...<<chuckles>>

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:01 am

I found the recipes a couple look pretty good. As with all things gamey, Bacon and Bacon grease seem to be the answer.

One article I read said the females can not be cooked to taste proper.
I think I need to find out for my self if they are palatabel. There sure are a lot of them.

Those that seem to not like them also seem to not care for duck or goose.
I will try most anything once.

Rick

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:30 am

As with any dark meat bird , do not over cook it.

1) Cut the breast meat off the bone and insert a handfull of cloves and season with cracked blak pepper sea salt and grill until med/med rare.
2) Take the boneless breast and pound it flat with a meat tenderizer. Season with anything you would season your favorite steak with and cook on grill. One again med/med rare.
3) Put boneless breast in foil with sliced red and yellow peppers, some sliced red onion, and quarterdseveral gloves of fresh garlic. Cook until med.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:50 pm

the rule here is if you shoot one you have to eat it....you wont shoot a second one.

BOSUN

Post by BOSUN » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:37 pm

As far as my palate goes they are better than bobcat, but not as good as shovelers. I know this as fact.