New Astro

whitedogone

New Astro

Post by whitedogone » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I know that there has been a lot of chatter about the new Garmin Astro on this and other boards. Well, I have a friend that has had one in use for a few weeks now. After using his, I knew that I would have to get one as well. Mine was sitting on the porch when I got home from work.
I am about as tight as they come, so I was hoping to get a good price on one. So after I did some price comparing at the "jungle" I called LCS to see if they would match it. Not a problem. They even did that one better: pricematch and free shipping and some other goodies 8)

I was impressed with the Garmin hardcase... here it is with the harness on the outside:
The unit seems well built and the part that goes on the dog is about the same size as the Tritronics beeper collar.

The only thing that concerns me is that the antennas could be a little more robust. I am planning on doing some follow-up field reports as we get into the season and I get some time in the field with this unit. WDO
Last edited by whitedogone on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Hey let me us know how it works for you, I am in Central Illinois as well.

Chip 8)

Reech

Post by Reech » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 am

I am interested to know how well it would work in the woods?

Reech

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:20 am

Rick has one, he used it in ND. It seems the receiver is not holding a charge and he said he had to call them. We'll see.....
brenda

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am

I would like to get one of those at some point. Looks like a useful and fun tool.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:39 pm

I spent some time behind the wheel of the Astro last weekend. First of all, I must say that my setter does cover some ground and one of my farms has close to 20 ac. of 4'-6' high prairie grass mix. With the height of the prairie sight on her was lost within a short distance. In the past I had used a Tritronics beeper on her. Depending on the wind the beeper could be heard for 50-100 yards only. It always seemed that I would be waiting to pickup the faint beeps for a sign that she was coming back in. Most of the time (in this cover), I still didn't have much of an idea where she was. I have also borrowed a friends Tracker radio tracking collar. That thing was only good to help find a lost dog that ran out of the county. I could never tell (with much accuracy) how far the dog was. Along comes the Astro. Right away, I can see that this Astro will make my hunting SO much more fun and less stressful. All I had to do is glance down at the unit and instantly I knew the direction and distance the setter. I could also watch the screen and see if she was running forward or working her way back. I had a much better idea (compared to the beeper) where she was working even in close. I didn't get to test the unit for long range stuff. The farthest she ranged was around 500 yards. I did not use the harness that came with the unit. Instead, I chose to mount it in place of my beeper and have the training collar receiver on bottom. Most of the time the Astro was on the side of my dogs neck. She has a very small neck and I'm sure that didn't help matters. I'm going to have to do some thinking on how I can keep it up where it should be. I am also looking forward to using the GPS capabilities of this unit. I have never had a GPS before so I'm sure there is a learning curve. I do think that you have to buy more maps and such for use for in the truck. One thing that concerns me is that when I turn both units on sometimes they "talk" right away. Other times the receiver doesn't pick up the collar for a long time ( I have timed it at 2 mins.) The manual says the first time you turn them on it can take up to 2 mins. to do this. After that the manual states that it will only take "seconds". Well, either mine doesn't work correctly on they misstated this portion of operation. WDO

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Probably works fine as long as you stay in the fields. If you go into the woods you will loose signal. I have a friend that has one. Once you turn the dog loose in the woods under canopy you loose signal and can't pick it up until the dog passes and is in a opening long enough to pinpoint. Sometimes it never picks it up until you leave the woods.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 pm

Now the discussion will get interesting. My view has always been that it can't work in a thick grouse swamp. Everyone says I'm wrong and there's no problem with it. When satelites are blocked by a canopy, I don't see how it can possible work. Post on.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Now the discussion will get interesting. My view has always been that it can't work in a thick grouse swamp. Everyone says I'm wrong and there's no problem with it. When satelites are blocked by a canopy, I don't see how it can possible work. Post on.
I'm not going to be much help on this aspect. I don't hunt grouse. I know that there are some online retailers that have a no questions 30 day money back policy. You'll never know for sure if it will work for you unless you strap one on. I have heard that this newer GPS pick up sats under canopy far better than older GPS models.

brav302

Post by brav302 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 am

I just wanted to put this out there. The collar portion attached to the dog doesn’t use satellite at all; it is not a GPS unit. It puts out a VHF signal that is received by the hand held unit and then plotted on the GPS. So there being a canopy over the dog is irrelevant. The thickness of the cover between the hand held and the collar how ever will play a huge role since VHF is line of site.

brav302

Post by brav302 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:59 am

HOW THE GPS DOG TRACKING SYSTEM WORKS
The Garmin Astro system consists of two components: a Handheld GPS unit (Astro 220) which looks like a walkie-talkie and a Dog GPS unit (Astro-DC-20) with an antenna which is mounted on a harness or collar.

These two GPS units communicate via radio signals.

The Dog GPS computes its location from the GPS satellites, detects whether your dog is moving or on point, and sends that info to your Handheld GPS every 5 seconds.

The Handheld GPS then plots the exact location of your dog on a map screen, shows distance, and whether your dog is moving or on point.

On your Handheld GPS, the MAP SCREEN shows your location, your dog's location, and the path that your dog has hunted. Alternately, view your dog(s) on the COMPASS SCREEN which shows your location, your dog's distance and direction. The COMPASS SCREEN is perfect for running multiple dogs. Add up to 10 dogs to one Handheld GPS system. All you need are extra DOG GPS units.

Sorry misunderstood the first time I read it. So the canopy and cover are a factor.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 am

I DON"T have the Astro, but I do use a GPS extensively to log "Tracks" while Grouse hunting in some of the nastiest cover that the Appalachians have to offer. I spend a minimum of 3 days a week hunting in this type of "tight" cover and can say that in the past 2 years, I have yet to lose signal even once on a track on my Magellan. I use the track feature to see what I've covered, what I may have missed and to give me an accurate hour and mile log. Quite often the cover will be multi-storied with 8' tall laurel, grape, Witch hazel and sapling mixes in the 1st tier, Maples, Pines and other such softwoods in the next tier and then Oak, Beech, etc... in the highest tier. In many places that earth/soil will not have seen much for daylight in probably the last 50 years........ so if there were signal problems, I would have certainly experienced it by now.

Take it for what it's worth.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:16 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Now the discussion will get interesting. My view has always been that it can't work in a thick grouse swamp. Everyone says I'm wrong and there's no problem with it. When satelites are blocked by a canopy, I don't see how it can possible work. Post on.
I don't have an Astro, but I do have a Garmin Venture HC which has the new high-sensivity GSP receiver that the Astro uses.

This past weekend while grouse hunting it was able to track my position throughout the entire day as I dug through cover.

Even more telling was the fact that I could turn the unit on, and get an accurate sat reading within a few seconds while at my friend's house. I wasn't in his driveway or in his kitchen; I was sitting in his basement. If I can get a reading through the construction materials of a modern ranch home into the basement, I'm pretty certain I can get a reading in the woods.

Now, how well the unit will be able to send complete data via the radio signal from the dog to the hunter may be another deal, but based on my experience with the new Garmin receivers I don't see those being much of an issue.

FWIW,
Dave

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:46 pm

I have also borrowed a friends Tracker radio tracking collar. That thing was only good to help find a lost dog that ran out of the county. I could never tell (with much accuracy) how far the dog was.
Haven't used the GPS dealy bob but I do think when they get the bugs worked out and the system much smaller it may be a nice deal.

With regards to the Tracker - when you get some experience using one, you can tell quite a bit about what the dog is doing and to some degree the distance it is from you. They are awesome but does take some input and experience from the user to use them for more than just finding a lost dog. In my experience, most folks new to using telemetry are much too passive believing the equipment will do all the work but it's just not so - still gotta use the old noodle a little bit!! I won't be giving mine up anytime soon. :)

beachgsp

Post by beachgsp » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:05 pm

I have the astro and have used it only a few times. It works great in all cover so far. I have used in completely open, and thick hard woods. The antenna, is designed for heavy cover. The only difference between that and a regular GPS by Garmin is the VHF radio connection with the collar. I am currently having a problem keeping the collar from twisting on the dog. When she is on point the GPS reads "treed". I experimenting with the collar so I hope to get it worked out before hunting season down here.

The best set up with it is to get the 2 gig card, and down load only the area's you may need to hunt. It keeps the maps moving quickly. I have the 2008 topo and love it. I has great detail and most roads. It specializes in State and National Parks and places like that. I also have the waterways charts.

The neatest feature is downloading your past hunt. Add it to your desktop and then use a feature of the program that Google earth's it. It's so neat to see God's point of view. I had no idea about how far my dog travels. I walked 5 miles, to her 30! Amazing!

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:25 pm

DGFavor wrote:
I have also borrowed a friends Tracker radio tracking collar. That thing was only good to help find a lost dog that ran out of the county. I could never tell (with much accuracy) how far the dog was.
Haven't used the GPS dealy bob but I do think when they get the bugs worked out and the system much smaller it may be a nice deal.

With regards to the Tracker - when you get some experience using one, you can tell quite a bit about what the dog is doing and to some degree the distance it is from you. They are awesome but does take some input and experience from the user to use them for more than just finding a lost dog. In my experience, most folks new to using telemetry are much too passive believing the equipment will do all the work but it's just not so - still gotta use the old noodle a little bit!! I won't be giving mine up anytime soon. :)
I guess I should have given more info. I have had a lot of experience (about 10 years) with the Tracker collars. I have a couple of friends that I coon hunt with that both have them. I'll tell you right now that the difference between the Astro and the Tracker is like night and day. If the GPS units can double the range and battery life the Tracker will become obsolete as the hound guys will no longer have the limitations of the current models. Both the range and the battery life are non issues for us bird chasers. WDO

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:
I don't have an Astro, but I do have a Garmin Venture HC which has the new high-sensivity GSP receiver that the Astro uses.

This past weekend while grouse hunting it was able to track my position throughout the entire day as I dug through cover.

Even more telling was the fact that I could turn the unit on, and get an accurate sat reading within a few seconds while at my friend's house. I wasn't in his driveway or in his kitchen; I was sitting in his basement. If I can get a reading through the construction materials of a modern ranch home into the basement, I'm pretty certain I can get a reading in the woods.
Thanks Dave, that's interesting to me. I use a Lowrance Expedition and heavy cover is a problem with it. Inside the house, forget it. May have to look into one of these new jobs. Do you like your model or do you wish you'd have gotten a different one.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:29 pm

What the heck Dave, you get new toys and don't tell us. :lol: Good to hear it works well, any suggestions as to new models coming out?

8)

Chip

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 pm

I struggled with finding the right GPS unit for a while; I was looking for one small enough to carry in my vest but with a large enough screen for driving directions in the truck. Once I realized that such a unit really doesn't exist (at least in a size I want to carry and a price I want to pay) it became much easier.

I ended up with a Garmin Etrex Venture HC. I liked the smaller profile of the Etrex models, but the HC gave me the new high-sensivity reciever (that's what the "H" stands for in Garmin's product line) and the ability to display maps. It has 24MB of memory, but doesn't accept additional memory cards.

I'm impressed with the accuracy and the usability. What I'm a bit frustrated with is the confusing options of maps and software to manage my waypoints and tracks. The Garmin US topo software is $115; I can't get myself to spend that amount of $ on a GPS that only cost $160. National Geographic's program is $50 for either the eastern or the western US. I can't quite figure out how well the topo maps cover roads and addresses though.

The next unit up to have turn-by-turn directions and a memory card slot was an additional $60; I just couldn't justify it.

So far I like it; I just need to figure out the mapping stuff a bit more.

Here's a link to the model I purchased:
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_trac ... -revi.html

FWIW,
Dave

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:45 pm

I think the Astro unit is set up on the Garmin 60Csx platform. At least it looks like it is. I got the 60Csx back in March for a birthday present and have enjoyed it. The only place I get no signal is in a parking garage...it gets it fine inside the house and in the woods so far.

It claims that "Extremely accurate SiRF GPS chip tracks precise position even in heavy tree cover and deep canyons."

It functions well as both an outdoor and driving GPS. I bought the City Navigator Software and a 1GB MicroSD card and have about 75% of the US turn-by-turn directions on it.

It may be a little overkill just for not getting lost in the woods, but I think its one of the best overall units there is....its also waterproof (something like 1 meter for 30 min)...which is good for my accident-prone self!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-60C ... 898&sr=8-1

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:29 am

mtlee wrote:I think the Astro unit is set up on the Garmin 60Csx platform. At least it looks like it is. I got the 60Csx back in March for a birthday present and have enjoyed it. The only place I get no signal is in a parking garage...it gets it fine inside the house and in the woods so far.

It claims that "Extremely accurate SiRF GPS chip tracks precise position even in heavy tree cover and deep canyons."

It functions well as both an outdoor and driving GPS. I bought the City Navigator Software and a 1GB MicroSD card and have about 75% of the US turn-by-turn directions on it.

It may be a little overkill just for not getting lost in the woods, but I think its one of the best overall units there is....its also waterproof (something like 1 meter for 30 min)...which is good for my accident-prone self!

Same platform: I think that if I was looking to get into just gps and maybe going to the astro setup at some time I would just get the Astro receiver instead of the 60CSx. It's only $50 or $60 more by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Astro-220- ... 907&sr=1-2

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:31 am

whitedogone wrote:
mtlee wrote:I think the Astro unit is set up on the Garmin 60Csx platform. At least it looks like it is. I got the 60Csx back in March for a birthday present and have enjoyed it. The only place I get no signal is in a parking garage...it gets it fine inside the house and in the woods so far.

Same platform: I think that if I was looking to get into just gps and maybe going to the astro setup at some time I would just get the Astro receiver instead of the 60CSx. It's only $50 or $60 more by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Astro-220- ... 907&sr=1-2
I completely agree.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 am

Dave, I'm sure you are aware of this, but if you go to Sportsman's warehouse they have a National Geographic Map Machine you can play with. I liked it so well compared to De Lorme I bought a three state cd set.

AZHUNT09

Post by AZHUNT09 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:46 am

Has anyone used this in the desert? I live in AZ with a lot of mtn areas that we hunt for quail. Feedback?

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:53 pm

I have a member discount on the Astro Garmin tracking system. If interested e-mail me at mark@coonriverkennels.com

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:41 pm

I just got back from the thick grouse woods of the UP and I hunted with a guy who used one on his little white setter. He rode in a Rhino and watched where his dog was. We hunted some thick alder thickets, aspen stands and pine groves and it always let him know where the dog was. The one problem he had was keeping antennaes on the the thing. He kept losing them or breaking the plastic/rubber sleeve on th antenna.

Seeing is believing fellas, and I was skeptical at first. I would plunk down the cash for one of these if I hunted in this stuff all of the time and had a dog that ran out of sight. Combined with a beeper on point mode, this thing is effective.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

The Bird Dog Man

Post by The Bird Dog Man » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:14 am

I used a Astro for six week while summer training in the Dakotas. I mean training REAL hard every day.
Here is what I liked

1. The download feature gave me something to do at night,
2. The range to the dog was always pretty accurate
3. The compass pointer was real accurate.

Here is what I did not like

1. The point mode would default to sit mode rather than point.
2. I broke two antennas!!!
3. I used a e-collar as counter weight and if that was not put on exactly right or slipped down to the side of the dogs neck it wouldn't get the signal right. You had to constantly adjust the balance. I hated the vest and would not use it.
4. Lack of range or strength behind hills or at long distances.
5. The hand held unit ate a set of batteries almost every day$$$$
6. Hard to read in bright sunlight.
7. After a week or so I got tired of playing with this GPS and didn't look at it as much while I was running dogs. If I lost a dog I went back to my old tracking unit. I never ran the dog without a tracking collar ever and I was glad I did when I lost a dog a couple of times. The GPS would only pick them up when you got close.
8. The worst thing is it lost the signal several times on really fast big running dog that I was looking at all the time while I was showing off the unit to one of my buddies. He said he would wait till they worked out the bugs before he bought one.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:35 am

brav302 wrote:I just wanted to put this out there. The collar portion attached to the dog doesn’t use satellite at all; it is not a GPS unit. It puts out a VHF signal that is received by the hand held unit and then plotted on the GPS. So there being a canopy over the dog is irrelevant. The thickness of the cover between the hand held and the collar how ever will play a huge role since VHF is line of site.
Which would show what an uneducated boob I am. Thank's for the clarification.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:59 pm

I was thinking of doin' the same thing Birddogman - getting one of the gps deals to play with but leaving the tracking collar on for good back up.
After talking to a few a folks with the same idea that tried it out, sounds like nobody I know is recommending the gps over their tracker - yet. Probably the day will come so might as well save $$$ till then. Everybody complained of battery use and antennae's breaking I've talked to

Dads

Post by Dads » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:07 pm

I used mine this weekend. I had spent the last month trying to know how it works and still don't know everything. Yes the collar will turn on the dogs neck but does not seem to bother the dog or reception of the collar. I plan on playing around with that and hope to come up with something that will help. The dog icon will go from point to treed but to me that makes no difference because I know what the dog is doing. The compass is very accurate. I had a dog on point in chest high broomweed 300 yards away and was able to go to the dog and get within 10 yards and still could not see the dog. I stood there for a minute and finally saw her move. I put locktite on the antena and had no problem with them coming loose. I found dogs on point quicker than I would have if I did not have the Astro. It is worth the money for me. I want be caught without it.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:24 pm

This is my first comments after half a season's use with the Astro. I'm hunting the heavy cover woods of Eastern Manitoba, and it's about as thick as anyone can imagine. I have 2 Pointers, and have also used it on my beagle.

My battery life has been fairly good. I can make several days with a set of batteries, and I have been buying them from the local dollar store for $1 a pair. Compared to the gas pouring through the 351 in my hunting truck, I don't really consider this a big problem.

I can't make comment on range as I've never had a dog able to outrun the distance, though I've had a couple of 900 yard casts before the dog turned around.

A couple of weeks ago "Zeke" cornered a big old boar racoon in a swamp, and they decided to kill each other. The Astro alerted me to the situation, and I got there just as the coon was passing out. Unfortunately the coon broke the collar mount for the Astro (and bit through my beeper) so I have been using the vest ever since. I thought I'd hate it but actually it works pretty well, probably protecting the dog unit somewhat. My only comment is it's a bit large for a 45 lb pointer, and part of the velcro flap does not attach to anything., I'll probably just stitch it back so it doesn't catch and pull the unit off.

It did take a couple of charges before the dog unit would hold a full charge, but that seems to have worked itself out.

I'm still running my beeper on the pointers (an old Sonic Sport model), but the GPS has demonstrated that my aging ears can only hear it to 200 yards on most days (maybe 100 yards further on damp still days).

I think today the unit probably paid for itself. The alarm alerted me my dog was pointing 300 yards off to my right. I couldn't hear the beeper. I started heading straight towards the dog who was down in a cedar swamp. The compass feature pointed me straight towards my dog.

When I got under 100 yards, I could hear the beeper, but could also hear something else that froze my blood.

A pack of timber wolves were barking to each other and howling right in front of me. I realized my dog wasn't pointing but was standing his ground as the wolves surrounded him.

I fired a couple of shots in the air and started yelling like crazy. I was within 80 yards now, trying to crash through a cedar bog, reloading my 12 auto wondering if 6 shot would do the trick with maybe 120 lbs of wolf.

I still couldn't see anything due to the thick cover, but all of a sudden my dog was barrelling towards me, and fortunately, he was by himself.

He was somewhat chagrined, and pretty glad to see me. Evidently the wolves had bailed when they heard me coming.

So far, I'm a believer.

Valley Quail

Best place to buy one?

Post by Valley Quail » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:45 am

After reading this thread, I've decided that the Garmin Astro is exactly what I need to avoid a nervous breakdown when my big Llewellin is out of sight and earshot. I usually find that he's just over the next ridge and normally only 150-200 yards away. It would be comforting to me to have his range and direction indicated.

Now, to the point. I always try to get the best price I can from a reputable dealer. Any suggestions?

whitedogone

Re: Best place to buy one?

Post by whitedogone » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 am

Valley Quail wrote:After reading this thread, I've decided that the Garmin Astro is exactly what I need to avoid a nervous breakdown when my big Llewellin is out of sight and earshot. I usually find that he's just over the next ridge and normally only 150-200 yards away. It would be comforting to me to have his range and direction indicated.

Now, to the point. I always try to get the best price I can from a reputable dealer. Any suggestions?
PM sent