Airedales as bird dogs.

WiskeyJaR

Airedales as bird dogs.

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Yes I know, they are terriers. I was curious if anyone has seen them in action, either on the hunt or in trials? Yes I have "talked" on the airedale forums and such, but am seeking more traditional bird dog owners opinon.
Someone posted on here they wouldnt use a terrier for birds but I have come across lots of "sites" that claim Airedales make good upland dogs and will even retrieve ducks. <shrugs> Would seem to make a good around "meat dog"

So whats folkes opinons? Is the Airedale good for birds at all?

tthaden

Post by tthaden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 pm

why mess around with what a dog "might" do, get a real bird dog... GSP or GWP would be my recommendations for what you what to do.

Tim

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:09 pm

I have always been a sucker for something different. You certainly cannot quibble about an Airdales desire to hunt. I ronically in The Gun dog magazine they just had a big write up on this subject. Very interesting. Haven't seen em do birds but why not it is just another versitile breed right? I think it would be fun.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

tthaden

Post by tthaden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Standard poodles used to be hunters also, but I would never take one to the field. If you already have the dog, thats one thing...but to go out and buy one for hunting... I have some ocean front property in Arizona if you are interested...

Tim

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

First the disclaimer:

I believe in using dogs for the purpose the were bred. Airedales were bred for fur. So for birds I would look towards the pure pointing breeds or the versatile breeds.

Now with that in mind, have you contacted or been to the discussion board that is on the High Country Airedales site?

http://www.huntingairedales.com/

That gentleman posts on the versatile dog forum. I don't think I have seen him post here. He is very serious about producing hunting dogs. Not show dogs. He should be able to answer your questions. And from what I gather about his personality, he is brutally honest and cuts to the chase. I don't believe he will try to tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale. And I believe he would say that airedales can be bird dogs and even say his are birds dogs in addition to what they were bred for. But I suspect in the end he would probably steer you towards another breed.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm

According to the Gun dog article, and in some old stories written at the early part of the century, the Airdales were used for water fowl hunting as well as fur.

There is also a push from the some standard poodle folks to get the dogs back to hunting and are breeding specifically for that purpose even to the degree of getting the structure of the dog where it used to be.The Poodle is one of the most intellegent dogs there is. I believe that the AKC is or working on allowing Poodles
back into the retreiver games. On the low end to start.
Certainly, the easiest way is to get a proven animal bred specifically for a specific purpose. Such as the hunting Airdale folks.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick