Tracking systems

AZHUNT09

Tracking systems

Post by AZHUNT09 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Im looking into getting a tracking collar system for my dogs. What does everyone use? models and makes. How has that system worked for you? What systems havent worked for you? etc.

thanks
chris

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I have only had one so far, an older tracker two channel model. It has done everything I have asked it to do so far and you have to love the portability of the Tracker.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:56 pm

They're all good and it's really just a matter of how much bulk you want to carry around. If you're an avid hunter, especially on foot, I don't know how you could ever beat a Tracker. I've got the Maxima 10 collar receiver, my dad has the 2 dog Classic and they both work great. We use the Supra lite collars.

I should add, that they are all very operator dependent. You've got to use it alot and learn to interpret the signal you're getting (or not getting - sometimes not getting a signal tells you where the dog is if you observe the terrain you're in). They're not just point-n-shoot deals.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Have an older Wildlife series....works well. Here's the one I want though, don't care for the harness deal, but what a unit!! Anyone seen these in use yet??? Tells you how many miles the dog went & exact path, what it's doing - moving, pointing.........

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Astro-GPS- ... B000MGN842

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 pm

I have a Tracker, that is the brand most trialers use. It is very compact. I have found many dogs with it and three cases I am sure I would not have found the dogs without it, they were many miles away from where released.
Doug mentioned practice, use it a lot before you need it in order to get use to it otherwise it will probably not do you any good.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Don't use one, but I just saw a garmin GPS unit for sale at Sportmans Warehouse ($499 for the GPS unit and one collar I believe). Seems like it would work great, I think I read a review in gundog or field and stream or something about them a while back when the model was still being tested, seems pretty interesting and if it works like a regular handheld GPS, it must be pretty simple to use.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:30 am

I have a Tracker 2-dog unit and its works great with the Supra Lite Collars. I used it multiple times to find both my dogs and others as well. They really require some practice and understanding of what you are doing to be effective.

parshal

Post by parshal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:35 pm

I played around with the Garmin unit this weekend that a guy brought to our NAVHDA test. He said it defaults to pet mode and it will not stay on point mode and, therefore, won't notify you when your dog goes on point. He said a fix is due to be released soon but Garmin won't tell him when.

While I was looking at it I noticed that the bracket that holds it to the strap was broken. He called them on Monday and they are sending him a new bracket.

If you don't currently own a GPS and are thinking of getting one I see no reason not to buy this since you can use it as a GPS. However, I'm going to wait until a few more releases for bugs to get worked out.
Last edited by parshal on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parshal

Post by parshal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Maybe it's a bug introduced into later versions after the beta testing. He said they knew about the problem and were fixing it. I saw a thread about the same subject on another board recently, too.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:51 am

I give a member discount on Tracker and also the GPS tracking system. If interested e-mail me at mark@coonriverkennels.com

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 am

Till that make soemthing better, The Tracker is the way to do it for the hunter.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:46 pm

shadymeadows wrote:There is no better system for keeping track of or finding your daog then Garmins's new Astro.

We got to do beta testing for it and all others are obsolete now.
Shady,

No, the "others" are not obsolete. Until AKC and AFTCA accept the GPS technology, people will still have a use for telemetry. ie; Tracker, Wildlife Materials, Marshal.

Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Shawn,

What types of range were you seeing with the Garmin? I saw you and Willie having the discussion, but I never saw the range.

Dan

sharptailhunter

Post by sharptailhunter » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 pm

I am fan of GPS technology, however... I think it will still be a long while before it really catches on in the FT circuit. The market is just so small that the "organizations" probably don't have a real incentive to get their products to the point that they can be used in FTs.

Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what the future holds for GPS technology. Until then, I will keep using my trusty Tracker. It works like a charm everytime.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 pm

We just got a new Garmin, it is awsome. Do not know why it would not be used in FT's if the other Tracker is allowed. Rick will be trying it out in ND in a couple of weeks, that will tell the story....
brenda

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:22 pm

Do not know why it would not be used in FT's if the other Tracker is allowed.
It's a size/weight issue. The thought is that the dog will associate the bulkier type tracking collars or the vested GPS dealy bob with an electric training collar and influence their manners. I forget what the weight limit is on the transmitters but I believe somewhere there is a list of which ones are acceptable. The GPS deal will have to get much smaller than it currently is.

As far as range goes, it doesn't sound like the current GPS system matches most tracking collars - of course they are all apparently very terrain dependent and I don't know how much that influences the GPS stuff. It'll be interesting as they develop it and make it a more reasonable, useful size.

If they do get them small enough to where they are accepted in trials, it'll be interesting to see how they are managed. Right now, except for the Tracker receiver, it'd be pretty tough to conceal a tracking receiver if you are scouting or handling. A small GPS though can just about tuck in anybodies pocket. Might have to frisk all the scouts and handlers for electronics before they're allowed to take off!! :)

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:46 pm

I finely bought me a Tracker Maxima. Should have it by Wed. next week. I went with it by others recomendations and its simple application.

I dont think I need to know where my dog was, where he is going, and how he got there. I just want to find them to the front and standing birds.

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Doug,

You hit on something. The size and weight is what may turn out to be problematic for AKC, AFTCA.

Handlers that have Marshall, which I use, or Wildlife Materials receivers stick out like a sore thumb when they use them. Trackers quite a bit less so, in fact I think if the judges ride back a bit (and they allow the handler to carry the receiver), they could use the unit.

And that would be much more of an issue with something about as large as a Rhino FRS radio.

Range is much greater for radio telemetry as well.

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:26 pm

One of the neat things about the Garmin unit I found is the tracking feature which shows where the dog has been. Another is the point mode to indicate the dog is stopped. From what I’ve read, operation is pretty straightforward and as simple as looking at the screen which displays your position and the distance and location of the dog and it's tracked path. Makes me wonder that after they get the size of the collar unit down (only a matter of time) to where it’s approved for trials, why not allow handlers the ability to utilize the receiver in lieu of using a scout? For that matter why not allow the judges to use them to confirm whether the dog is to the front, looped back behind or just went back to camp?

Is there a downside to utilizing technology in order to better know where and what the dog is doing versus judging only what you see with your eyes?

When combined with experienced judging, wouldn’t actual GPS tracking data not provide a better account of the dogs overall performance especially when two performances are close? Just curious what others thoughts are? Is this Taboo thinking ? :lol:

IMO, if your only interest is hunting and not trialing, I can’t image why you would ever consider a telemetry unit over GPS. As stated before, this has to be the slickest thing in dogdom since the E-Collar. Personally, I hope to get GPS on my GSP this coming season. :wink:

Rodger

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Rodger,

I see no use for the Garmin Astro in judging of FT dogs. None.

I judge what I see, not what I don't. So the Astro tells me the dog went here, there, and there. Does it tell me if the dog was hunting the cover on the correct side considering the wind? No, because the cover/edge doesn't appear on the screen.

Although, the video game aspect of it might bring a younger group to FT's.

Dan