what do YOU do to stay in shape

blanked

what do YOU do to stay in shape

Post by blanked » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:48 am

do you make a conscious effort to eat right and stay in shape to chase birds all up and down them hills?

do you do this year round or only during the season?

myself i will year round eat right, lift weights and ride a stationary bike. for the season i will run my dogs while on a mountain bike in addtion . to my year round routine.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:24 am

Good question Blanked. I do not own a horse nor quad, & seldom have access to them, therefore most all my training is done off foot, I have to stay in stay in shape! I also bike with my guys a lot & eat well, very little junk/fast food.
Keeps me in shape, bad thing is not many of my hunting buddies can keep up with me all day when hunting season rolls around & I usually end the day hunting alone with the dogs........not that I mind that, I love to be out with them, alone or accompanied by friends!

warn

Post by warn » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:03 pm

well i try to coonhunt as much as possible to keep me in decent shape..

even then you are tired after a long weekend of nothing but bird doggin all day and coondoggin all night! :D

I think I might even put new tires on the mtn. bike and do some cycleing before season.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:27 pm

I run three or four miles a day and do upper and lower body workouts at least twice a week. It has nothing to do with staying in shape for hunting though. The Army makes me do it at O-dark thirty every morning.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm too old and injured to do what you young fellas do, but I do quite a bit of bikeing and walk 3 1/2 miles a night 3-4 days a week. My running days are over though.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm

I just started a new diet last Monday. It's called a tonsilectomy! I haven't been able to eat much - good thing is that I'm losing a few pounds!!! Now I just need to lose a few more and get the lungs in shape for the Fall hunting season.

Nitrex

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:57 pm

let's see..........coke, snickers, pizza, burgers, cookies, brownies, and of course LCD HDTV!!!! :lol: :lol:

I swim. i grew up competitive swimming, and can't run a lick. the ole saying "runners can't swim, and swimmers can't run" hits me on the dot. that's why you i have a whole lot of respect for triathlon peeps. i am lucky enough to have access to an indoor heated pool at our gym.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:51 pm

I get out of bed every morning and go to the bathroom without stopping to rest. But I do have fast food quite often, run around with wild women, and occasionally have an adult beverage. I guess that is my exercise routine.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:56 pm

i practice ezzy's workout regimen as much as possible. minus the wild women of course. had to throw that in there just in case the wife peeks at good ole gdf.

bird

Post by bird » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:51 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabe

Re: what do YOU do to stay in shape

Post by wannabe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:25 am

blanked wrote:do you make a conscious effort to eat right and stay in shape to chase birds all up and down them hills?

do you do this year round or only during the season?

myself i will year round eat right, lift weights and ride a stationary bike. for the season i will run my dogs while on a mountain bike in addtion . to my year round routine.
I have always been pretty good about what I eat, but when I was in my 20's and 30's, I was able to stay in shape by just working, training dogs, and hunting. Now that I am 40-something, I quit the 4-5 beers a night thing, and I am hitting the weights, treadmill, and mountain bike for a few hours 3-4 days a week. I hope to maintain this lifestyle for the next 50-60 years whether I am able to hunt or not.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Once I get to a certain point with the dogs I'm training, I free run each of them on foot 2-3 days a week for an hour or so each. Plus I run my own dogs free running for an hour or so, or once it cools down off horseback for 45 min's to an hour and 15 min's once a week.

My diet is, LARGE portions of home cooked meals, Fast food every once in awhile. I drink coffee, soda, beer, and wine, not enough water.

With in the last 5 years, I broke a foot I never took care of, and broke my elbow and arm getting thrown from a horse, that I never took care of. Mainly because I didnt have the time to slow down and didnt want to stop hunting or trialing.

End result is I can out hunt most people I hunt with. My heart as far as I know is strong, my legs are stronger, and my will power and drive is unstoppable. Basicly I'm a hardheaded Irishman.

Larry

buzzbait

Post by buzzbait » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 pm

I pretty much stay in shape year round thanks to my crosscountry coach.
I'm on the high school track and cross country team and I play soccer competitvely outside of school so I'm running about 3-4 miles a day about 5 or 6 days a week. Half of wich is with my dog

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I like your style Ezzy. I try to do the same but those wild women have been replaced with my wild wife and kids. I ran track & cross-country at college and competitively after college but that was a long time ago. My workouts today are workout with the dogs and keeping up with my kids and sometimes my wife.

Terry
Terry & Kim Singsank
Sweetsong Shorthairs

Sweetsong's Wildfire Greta
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=160

bobeyerite

Post by bobeyerite » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:48 pm

I make a very conscious effort to stay in shape. I do exercises every night, walk and run Tony around 2 miles a day and watch my diet. I did gain 10 pounds last winter but I have lost 5 pounds of that and hope to have the rest off by hunting season.

Bob

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 pm

I never see any overweight chukar hunters at the tops of these hills. I have never been able to figure out why.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:25 pm

glk7243- Thats why I hunt in Kansas! Lot easier walking here!

My exercise comes from working dogs and my 2 year old son! Since I am a stay at home dad I get plenty of time with both!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

rnbiii

Post by rnbiii » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:03 am

I started a new diet last week... had four wisdom teeth pulled. It's tough to gain weight on soup and orange juice.

I ride bikes a lot with my dog. There's about 28,000 acres at Berry College (most of it wildlife preserve) that has some great trails. The dogs love it, and so do I.

mit

Post by mit » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 am

This exercise routine works for me:

EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 50

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb potato sacks, then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

:lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 am

BBQ, Ice cream and Pie. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:25 am

I commute to work by bicycle. The trip is 18.7 miles one way. I start early in the year, which for us is usually April, riding just one way each day for a couple of days a week. By the end of the summer, I am doing the commute both ways three or four days per week, plus one long ride on a weekend day. It does wonders for old legs and replaced hips.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 pm

bird wrote:Me myself I am a USPS Letter Carrier by day and a Couch Tater by night !

I quit smoking over a year ago and gained 40 pounds from doing so. You would think that walking an average of 12 miles a day carrying mail would help keep you in shape which it does to some extent. But due to age and the weight gain. I feel worse now then anytime other time in my life. Due to work I have now injured my knee and back which limits my daily exercise abilities when I get home. I have always had low blood pressure my whole life... never changed from 110/68. Now it peeks 150/100. I thought quiting smoking was suppose to be good for you ? Now I have to lose weight, lay off the salt and exercise more. WHAT ???? Man somedays it takes everything I have just to get out of bed..... lol

Growing old.... grrrrrrrrrrr

bird
I quit smoking 23 years ago and gained 40 lbs. I still have it. :lol:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:04 am

A divorce, eating mostly natural foods, working out and running about 3 times a week, and I lost about 20lbs. real quick. I feel like a million bucks now though at 175lbs.

dirtdiver

Post by dirtdiver » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 am

water ski everyday in the summer-best all body exercise ever invented

hunt as much as possible in the fall

snow ski every weekend in the winter

golf in the spring

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 am

Dirtdiver,

How about mow the lawn, weed the garden, change the diapers, play with the kids, go fishing, grill supper, and paint the house, take care of the dogs and pigions, read the paper, have a beer, and fall into bed exhausted, broke, and happy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am

I'm usually too busy "doing something" to put much thought into exercise, but I do go running about once a week. The other days we run our dog off the ATV.

Starting this summer I've been on a sort of diet too. I switched over all soda consumption to diet brands (once you've done it for 2 weeks, you don't notice the difference anymore). I also refrain from the second helping many times. It's nothing big, but I lost 8 pounds that way so I'm sticking to it.

I've stayed active enough since running cross country in high school that I can still out-walk all my hunting partners (except the dogs, of course), so I'm good. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

dirtdiver

Post by dirtdiver » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 am

ezzy333 wrote:Dirtdiver,

How about mow the lawn, weed the garden, change the diapers, play with the kids, go fishing, grill supper, and paint the house, take care of the dogs and pigions, read the paper, have a beer, and fall into bed exhausted, broke, and happy.

Ezzy
Riding mower; No garden; No kids; Fishing=Anti Exercise; Grill-Eat out, Paint-Contract; Dogs-Like breathing, run them every day; No birds; Paper-who needs propaganda; Beer-changed to red wine; Broke-I understand; Happy-Always.

JoeBob1901

Post by JoeBob1901 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:30 am

I bike 6-8 miles a day in between my room/work/chowhall, and workout 4-5 days a week. Run occasionally, and eat a healthy but VERY filling diet :lol: 8).