Back bumps...?

GsPJustin

Back bumps...?

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Ok so for bout ehh, give or a take a day or to, a week now Beau has gotten some bumps on the back of his neck and then they went away, and with how much running he does, and the stuff he runs through i figured he just got poked by a couple twigs and they will go away. Well now he has about 30 on this back and they aren't big at all and they seem to be going away. It could be that he just ran into a bush or something, and he shows no other signs of problems, eats fine, runs fine, drinks fine, etc... Im thinking it may be an allergic reaction to a plant of some kind? Anyone else have an idea? there to small to see, and have no coloration on the skin, but I can feel them.hes got one or 2 on his side as well. Could it be a summertime allergy to a shampoo?

parshal

Post by parshal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:16 pm

I'd say an allergy. Mine got bit by some deer flies this weekend and the bumps they left are larger.

j-tatro

Post by j-tatro » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:40 pm

My dog had something similar he had small bumbs along his side the bumbs went away after a couple days but his hair is missing where the bumbs were. I took him the the vet and she ran some tests on his skin for mites but found nothing, her advice was to avoid the fields.... i think i should find another vet

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Did you find out what the bumps are? Are they still there? Are they hard or soft? Are they movable? Are they in the skin or muscle or deeper?

I heard yesterday of a man that had bumps on the back of his skull. When he went to the docs they found maggots were there.

Saw and elephant on a show that had that also. I know kind of far fetched.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Maggots don't cause bumps. They are only on dead flesh. They were used all during WWII to clean the wounds that had been incurred a day or two before they were gotten to a hosspital. Many parts of the world they are still used.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:57 am

The flys lay eggs in a wound or opening. The eggs turn into maggots eating the flesh. As the maggots grow they create bumps where ever they are. The host does not need to be dead. Neither the man nor the elephant were dead. The man felt bumps on his head. The elephants nose was the size of a basket ball. I quess that was a bump. There are some doctors that still use maggots to this day when there is a deep wound that needs to be cleaned.

As I said it is far fetched. But if there were a wound. Forget it!

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am

The animal doesn't need to be dead but the maggots to not eat anything but dead flesh. That is why when you find something wounded and if there is maggots you can kill the maggots and put a dressing on the wound and it will heal. Without the maggots the injured fleash that has died will need to be cleaned out and the wound sterliized in some manner to prevent further gangreen.

Thats all I was saying is that maggots are not all bad. as they do not harm any living flesh.

If you are talking some other kind of fly that lays its eggs on the legs of animals and the larva which are grubs borrow in and migrate to the back of animals normally then that is an entirely different situation. I have pinched hundreds of grubs out of the backs of our cattle over the years but if you don't pinch them out they will escape on their own when mature. They also don't hurt the animal but it does ruin the leather when you slaughter the animal.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

parshal

Post by parshal » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:42 am

Actually, ruffshooter, that story was from a guy here in Colorado that had just gotten back from Belize. What he had were bot flies that were transmitted to him through a mosquito bite. The bot fly larva stays in a hole in the skin and will stick it's head out to get air. It's not like a normal fly maggot. According to my vet there are a number of dogs coming in with bot fly larva.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:50 am

Sounds like hives. My one fru-fru has some sort of allergy, at least I think that is what it is- sometimes when he runs thru tall grass he gets those. Seems to bother him most later in the season (so it could be an inhalent allergy, as it happens around the ragweed bloom.) Anyway, benadryl has worked for us, along with bathing (we use baby shampoo) after exposure to the tall grasses.
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:43 pm

You are right about the man I had spoken of. My fiance the head RN at the Veterans home had a man come in the the a couple of weeks ago for evalutation and care. He had a wound that had been infested with maggots, The doctor had been having a hard time getting the infection out. ( the doc did not put them in the guy could not care for the wound when sent home.)The maggots cleaned out that tissue and had moved up his back. The infection cleared up easier, once all the affected tissue was evacuated.

I have heard of the grubs in cattle and other livestock never seen it. It all sounds nasty to me. I was just relaying a couple of odd items.
I am done.

Justin I was just curious about how your dog is doing.

Rick

parshal

Post by parshal » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:It all sounds nasty to me. I was just relaying a couple of odd items.
My wife screamed out loud when she saw the pictures on TV. It's quite gross and quite painful for the host.