Chip Off the 'ol Block

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Chip Off the 'ol Block

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:28 pm

The old man (sorry kinda blurry):

The hopeful:

Seeing alot of similarities - should be a fun ride!!

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm

He is sure getting big!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:06 am

Cute pics. Looks like pup's not big on honoring pa's point!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:41 am

Doug,

Nice Pics, How old is he?

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:55 am

Very Nice Doug, hope he is as good as the other.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:28 am

That pic was actually from a while ago - was just cleaning through the spring pics and noticed how much he looked like his dad bouncing thru the air. 5 1/2 months now.
Looks like pup's not big on honoring pa's point!!
Yah, no dogs are big on honoring his pa's points!! :oops: JK, that's actually a littermate chasing after him in the pic out playing.
looks like you went with the theory I heard from an old breeder when picking a pup.Pick the ones that most resemble their parents.
I definitely went with breeding two dogs very similar in gait, appearance and personality with the theory that like produces like. Pretty much got a bunch of clones.
Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on that. More interested in the experience of what litters have been like when parents are really dissimilar - breed little dog to big dog, white dog to brown dog, Westminster to Idaho backwoods...

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 am

Doug,
how is that pup feeling? Looks alot like ole Stitch. Just out of curiosity how many times have you bred Stitch?

:D
Chip

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:08 am

Hey Chip - This was his 1st live litter. We bred him to another nice little 8yo bitch that I was real excited about those prospects but she didn't take (second time she's been live covered 3 times without taking so not sure what the deal is there - might try AI with her next time).

I think we've got another one coming up that might be pretty interesting - real similar appearing female in terms of size/shape/quickness but quite a different pedigree - she's got sort of a who's who of GSP's pedigree with Rusty, BE, Clown, Sonny, Slick.

I'm pretty sure we had an accidental breeding a couple years ago to my buddy's MrAwsum bitch... :oops: Had her spayed though when we figured out she was having pups...darn pointer folks trying to breed to the GSPs again.

Oh, Scoots is doing great. Got his weight back on and terrorizing the heck out of pretty much all of us.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 am

[quote="DGFavor"]
I think we've got another one coming up that might be pretty interesting - real similar appearing female in terms of size/shape/quickness but quite a different pedigree - she's got sort of a who's who of GSP's pedigree with Rusty, BE, Clown, Sonny, Slick.

Hey Doug,
Who's female did you breed?
Gary

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 am

Yea Doug, You can't leave us hanging like that, c'mon man. Pics and Peds

Chip :D

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Doug, Very nice pup you’ve got there. It’s remarkable how similar he looks compared to his sire. Particularly at both ends. :wink:
Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on that. More interested in the experience of what litters have been like when parents are really dissimilar - breed little dog to big dog, white dog to brown dog, Westminster to Idaho backwoods...
I’m interested too. I was contacted by a gentleman up in Il that wants to breed his 4 year show CH and MH to Hud. One of the nicest liver/roan dogs I’ve seen. High at both ends and points with lots of style. He was thoughtful enough to mai me a packet containing pics of her show wins and pheasant hunting along with an AKC report of her wins and test records. She went from JH to finishing MH in a single year with MH scores no lower than 9's! Not your average show dog. We’re planning to do this in Sept when she comes into heat. It’ll be interesting to see what an All Age trail dog crossed with a CH/MH produces.

We also got a new pup a few weeks ago. I picked the one that had very similar markings to his dad. Keeping our fingers crossed, but so far he looks like he’ll be a good one.

Best of luck with your new pup!

Rodger

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:33 pm

No breedings yet Gary! Just talkin' about it with a fellar for the fall/winter when she comes in. After talkin' I pulled up the pedigree and just noticed all those popular names/kennels a couple gens back and thought it was an interesting mix with a Rusty/BE cross x a Rawhides linebred on top crossed on a Sonny daughter x First Deposit/Slick/Clown dog on the bottom. Not particularly concentrated in any one line. She's just a personal hunting dog (white/ticked) and the guys young son wants to get into it but likes the dark ones so he's looking for a dark stud dog. If anybody can think of another dark stud that might fit in well here, let me know and I can pass it along so he has some options if he wants.

That pup of yours is a super cutie Rodger and should be a real looker out of Hud! Sheesh, how do we compete with that?? Fun to have 'em look like their dad!

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:17 pm

Doug,
Beautiful looking pups. Sure looks like he throws the looks , and I highly doubt he has any problem throwing birdodg in there. I was not aware that was his first litter. Really nice results. Look forward to seeing more pics and how they develope.

Robert
Fieldmaster's Shorthairs
"Selective Breeding at it's Finest"

Selectively Breeding Outstanding
Dual Quality Shorthairs

http://www.fieldmastersshorthairs.com/

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Doug, I think Stitch would be a great choice, as for other darker dogs whew. John Rock's FC/AFC Cadens coupe Deville (Cooper) would be an option. Eldon has a few nice darker dogs on his string as well.

Just a thought

Chip

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Doug

The Cooper dog is out of some of your stuff and you know it very well. He is a Hoosier Buddy son and has a lot of the bird finding and nose qualities of Buddy.

Cooper is coming of age.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:49 pm

DGFavor wrote:More interested in the experience of what litters have been like when parents are really dissimilar - breed little dog to big dog, white dog to brown dog, Westminster to Idaho backwoods...
I in NO way have the breeding experience as many on here. My male NSTRA Champ has thrown three litters. The first two only produced one white/liver patched pup (out of 13). One bitch was white/liver patched, the other was liver ticked like my male. He is full liver with minimal ticking. http://www.gundogforum.com/members/1028/. Rookie's last litter (on the ground now) is with a nice young white and liver patched female (Granddaughter to Cecil - Windrow's Saddle Tramp). We ended up with 6 white/patched and only 2 liver ticked. Rookie holds his tail at 10:00, the female is 12:00. Pups are walking around with 12:00 tails. This is by FAR the classiest litter. We hopefully will repeat and I can secure one.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:38 pm

If you are looking for a dark dog for an AA stud, that Grizz dog that Eldon has on his string right now is the real deal. He is young and has not won anything of significance yet, but he will, he has the legs and the nose.

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:14 pm

dgfavor theres a dog right there in your backyard. It is a doctor who lives up buckskin a liver with tick stud big maybe 80 lbs dont know any attributes but could find out

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanks Zdiddy! Probably one of Chris' dogs. Pretty sure a GSP of that size isn't in the cards for this fellar - he likes the "smaller" 40-50lb. dogs. His bitch is about 45#. This does sort of feed into my ?? of "whuddya get when ya cross an 80# dog on a 40# dog?? Some 40's, some 80's, all 60's...??

Yah, John, I definitely was thinking of something Eldon might have. He's sure got a couple females I'd like to cross my dog back on...maybe you should be dropping some hints when you guys are hanging out at the trailer after hours. "Hey Eldon, Why don't you breed that bitch there with BE three times in her pedigree to 'ol docs little dog?? Can I pour ya' another?" :wink:

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:19 am

Grizz, Thanks John could not remember his name, I think Eldon has two other littermates that are on his string as well. :D

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:33 am

"Hey Eldon, Why don't you breed that bitch there with BE three times in her pedigree to 'ol docs little dog?? Can I pour ya' another?"

"Hey Eldon, Why don't you breed that bitch there with BE three times in her pedigree to 'ol docs little dog?? Can I pour ya' another?"

Just tryin' to get it memorized. Maybe I should just write it on my hand. I will try to remember it Doc, but you know how us old guys can't remember squat. Its not that I forget the wife's birthday any more, its that I forget that I forgot it, so I forget to buy some flowers to make it all better.

I am guessin' the next time we see each other Eldon will be there, and there will be somethin' on the table to drink, come on over and help yourself and ask 'im.

I don't know Grizz's parentage for sure. Out of Blues by Spekk I would guess. All I know is that the dog runs. He is owned by Keith and his friend Gary. I think it is Keith you have to butter up.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Here is Grizz, if the link does not work you can see him @ www.hongobirddogs.com
Chip :D

Prairie winds von helmut "Grizz"

http://www.hongobirddogs.com/pedigrees/ ... e-griz.htm

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:22 pm

Yahhh, that's the stuff!