companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost
of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive
action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not
sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers
need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas
come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their
gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all
rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an
impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of 2007 , DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest
companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling
any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce
their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and
Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this
point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

i have quite a lot of exxon stock. please give me a day or two before you begin.

thewigla

Post by thewigla » Fri May 11, 2007 1:27 pm

I got this same email and have thought a lot about it. I can't find any reason why it would not work. One thing I am not sure about is if Exxon/Mobil provides gas for other gas stations without their name on it. That might pose a problem if that exists. Any thoughts?

It sure would be nice if it worked! I'm tired of riding my bike to work :?

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Fri May 11, 2007 1:38 pm

I'd kill to pay 2.79 here!! I paid 3.15 yesterday.
Cam

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri May 11, 2007 1:38 pm

I paid 2.48 day before yesterday. E85 .

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri May 11, 2007 2:53 pm

gas companyines make an average of 8 cent per gallon profit the government averages over 50 cent per gallon who do you think does all the work
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Ironhorse77

Post by Ironhorse77 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:11 pm

Because this is a dog forum, I usually keep my posts related to dogs, but I can't resist this one:

I work for an oil and gas company! This idea isn't going to work. First of all, ExxonMobil is one company and they sell their refined gasoline to whomever buys it. When you fill up at Shell or Chevron or Conoco or whatever, it doesn't mean that it couldn't be ExxonMobil's gasoline.

Second, the demand for gasoline isn't only in the USA. China is growing at an alarming rate and thus their demand for petroleum is rising to the point of matching the U.S. demand. So not buying gasoline from a certain gas station in the US isn't going to hurt that company at all. They can just sell it to another country that has just as much demand for the gasoline as we do.

Too many people don't understand what causes the price to rise and fall. Its simple economics.....supply v demand. The demand is high and getting higher. We all saw what happens when the gasoline ran out a few years back when everybody in Houston decided to run from Hurrican Rita. The whole city came to a screeching hault and prices sky rocketed. When demand is high and supply is low.....the price goes UP. Much of the oil produced in the world today comes from areas with UNSTABLE governments ( ie - IRAN, VENEZUELA, IRAQ, SAUDI ARABIA, NIGERIA, ALGERIA, etc.) If you stay current on the news, you know that there are weekly guerrilla attacks on oil installations in NIGERIA, disrupting oil supply. Even here in the USA we have our problems. Remember the pipeline issue with BP in ALASKA or the refineries that were disabled from Hurrican Katrina in 2005? The majority of our refineries are on the Gulf Coast (constant hurricane threats) and were built in the '60's and '70's. Legislation has blocked any new refineries from being built and thus production of gasoline is stunted due to lack of refineries. These are only a few variables in the equation that is causing gasoline prices to rise.

Don't blame the companies for high prices....we don't set them. Ever hear of a thing called the stock market and mercantile exchange? This idea of boycotting a certain company just isn't going to solve the world's problems. It helps to know the facts.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 11, 2007 5:50 pm

I still say even though snopes says false to this also...if everyone did do this it would send out a message...
Even the local stores they also add their hike to the price also...you can see this as you drive down the raod where one place is higher then another...but still WE can send message

also one person posted this as to the stock and setting prices which ...grumble

Even though this isn;t about our dogs directly it still effects what can can do and maybe because the price is to high it might cost a trip
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't believe it would work either. The problem being if you boycott EXXON/Mobil, how do you stop buying their gas that goes to every mom and pop station in the country? The problem is refinery's, they aren't there! There might be another problem too. Where is the oil? How much is under U.S. soil that we can't get out because of enviormental problems, how much in ANWR? Where did all the Prudoe oil go? Japan!

So boycott EXXON/ Mobil and they'll sell just as much as mom and pop's spring up to replace them. You want to make a difference, get drilling opened up and build new refinery's. I don't think they have to be on the Gulf Coast. Shell has a big one up near Bayview, Wash and Phillip's has one in Kansas City. I think the one in Portland, Ore is a Chevron.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

thewigla

Post by thewigla » Sat May 12, 2007 11:24 am

Ironhorse77: Thank you for your insight. What you say makes sense, but I agree with Don in that this very much relates to dogs (at least my dog). Since I am now riding my bike to work, I lose about 2 hours of time I could be spending with my dog. I am also usually too tired to do anything with her either. Also, since I forbid to pay these prices, I do not get to drive to the refuge where I love to get some birds in my dog's nose. I guess I was just wishful thinking in that this idea might work. Thanks again for clarifying.

Honkers41

Post by Honkers41 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:47 pm

I paided 2.99 here in Eastern Penna...question is when is it going to stop its getting way out of hand.....Honkers41!!!

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat May 12, 2007 7:06 pm

$3.29 per gallon here today.

OhioOnPoint

Post by OhioOnPoint » Mon May 14, 2007 10:32 am

Assume for a moment that it did work and Exxon couldn't sell, and had to drop there price.

How many would still not buy their gas once the price lowered? Everyone would be lined up to buy the cheaper gas, which would drive the price right back to where the market currently has it, in about 3 seconds flat. The price isn't fixed, it is a market price.

In the USA we enjoy some of the cheapest gasoline in the world. I have been all over, Asia, Europe, Carribean, etc. and many places love to pay $10 bucks a gallon (adjusted for local currency and liter price).

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:01 pm

do a google search on "exxon mobile profits" and look at the record profits almost every quarter since 2005 and tell me they aren't gouging us. I know it's about legislation, refineries, supply and demand, but I haven't seen my yearly raises match the cost of living here in Texas.