GDF Junkie

Custom Upland Vest I'm Working on

Post by grant » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:51 am

A vest I'm working on:

I'm about 75% done.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:52 pm

I hope you are doing it in Blaze Orange. Safety should always be our first concern plus many states require it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:27 pm

I like it. Orange isn't always needed. Maybe you could take some orange material that attatches by velcro or buttons when you need it.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:54 pm

I second it!

Perfect!.Now to find someone to make a several for you, add a Gun Dog forum patch to it, maybe an embroidery......come up with a price...and send two out to Oklahoma!

I used to live in Ohio, the Amish out there would pound those out for you in no time. I sold harnesses, collars and leashes made by them at trrals.

Phil
REO

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:43 pm

i like it too grant. well made!! i think it not only looks like it will more than get the job done in the field, but it looks like it will be warm and will get more comfortable with each washing. good call on the patch too! and now, along with your t shirt and vest, you can make visors with your gdf patch (you could even offer one in blaze orange!!) together, they could be the ultimate gdf ensemble :)

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:15 am

Looks real good, Grant...who's got the sewing talent in the house? You might want to think about putting a pocket in for holding the remote for the e-collars. Also, a big enough pocket in the back to hold all the birds that we get! :D It looks like you've made it out of corduroy and flannel? Is that going to be rugged enough? Maybe adjustable sides for the bigger/smaller folks? You sure do keep a lot of irons in the fire, don't you? Cool!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:35 am

Has to blaze orange in IL and Iowa just passed the law this year thay blaze is required. I believe WI also requires it for upland junting. And all of them require it for deer hunting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:16 am

When I was in Jr. High we took a field trip to Springfield and saw the IL Congress in action. I was actually there when they passed the law requiring the use of blaze orange. Making your own vest is a really good idea to get the functionality you need at an affordable price (those upland vests are expensive!). I'll have to look into that now. :)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:10 am

I want to put some orange shoulders on it.... I sewed most of it, Lins has been working on a camo purse. Cool chick huh!

The corduroy won't hold up that great either. Well, It’d be a nice city slicker vest?!

The next one I make will be out of stronger material....

We're having lots of fun though!

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:17 am

Wisconsin doesn't require it but they "highly" recommend it in the rules and regs.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 am

Here's the vest now:

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:34 am

i love it!!! you are right about the corduroy not holding up to real rough terrain, but it would be great if you were just training or not getting into any serious briars ... a great "out for a quick training session after work" vest. i think it looks awesome!! i am super impressed with your (and lindsay's) sewing skills!! how's that camo purse coming along?? way to go y'all !! you will have your own line before long!!! :D