Chaingang??

3forme

Chaingang??

Post by 3forme » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:47 pm

How long of a chain should I need for 3 dogs? 10'?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:20 pm

The Smith chain gang is 18 inch drops with 6 fet in between the drops and 3 feet to stake
so for 3 dogs that would be 18 feet
From stake 3 foot
a drop line
6 foot
a drop line
6 foot
a drop line
3 foot to stake
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

3forme

Post by 3forme » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:48 pm

Thanks much appreciated :wink:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Oh and use high quality swivel snaps for your drop chains

I have seen quite a few that the first time people put together they don't have a swivel on the drops and the dogs end up twisting up the chains

oops :oops:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Thats a lot more seperation than you need. 4 ft. between !8 " drops is adequate. That gives a foot seperation. If you have dogs you can't tie close together you could go 5 ft but normally if that happens you just put a dog between them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:48 pm

My droppers are sperated at 5 feet. This is IMO on the close side dogs are able to touch each other. "IF" for any reason they decided to fight they could do some damage if they wanted. Also you dont want them so close that they start playing. If they are playing they are not paying attention.

JMO, FWIW

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 pm

I wouldn't consider any closer then 6 feet

Four foot is to close for a proper chain gang. 6 foot keeps them just far enough a part where they can't intermingle or nose to nose...the chain gang is part of training not play time.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:19 am

Oh and use high quality swivel snaps for your drop chains
A swivel at both ends of the drop chain is the safest.

3forme

Post by 3forme » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:47 am

Good info guys, now how long should I leave them critters chained up?? I was thinking while I am at training clinics I could put my two and a buddies dog on it for the day? Of course the dogs would be taken off when getting work etc

SettersRus

Post by SettersRus » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:12 pm

IMO I would have 5 or 6 drop lines. Then if one breaks or your out with a couple of buddies and putting their dogs on it, you have the room. It's easy and cheap to build make room for expansion. I started with one dog and then decided 2 were better than one. then decided 4 would allow me to run 2 at a time and keep 2 fresh, then decided I wanted a couple with a little less range for heavy cover. And I keep finding reasons/ excuses to buy another dog. I love em all and consider them my kids.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:28 am

3forme wrote:Good info guys, now how long should I leave them critters chained up?? I was thinking while I am at training clinics I could put my two and a buddies dog on it for the day? Of course the dogs would be taken off when getting work etc
At trials we leave them on the chain from morning till night, of course with adequate food and water, providing the weather is decent. We put them back in the trailer at night.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:56 am

I have made several modifications to my chaingang since I assembled it. There are four 18" drops with swivled snaps, the drops are 68" apart, and the ring that I drive the stakes through is 70" away from the drop so I can use a stake-out on each end. I also have a hook attached to the ring on each end, so I can wrap one end around a post, and put the other ring over the ball on my hitch when I need to let the dogs out while traveling. I store it all in a 2 1/2 gallon pail with an old pair of leather gloves.

I rarely use the chaingang if I have less than 4 dogs; I would rather drive 3 stake-outs than drag out the chains.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:05 am

Well treid it out this morning and man did my 5 mos old YAP I worked me 2 older dogs first and when I let him off he shot out there like a trooper trailed me the whole way but I didn't care had not planted birds, at least he wasn't underfoot. Going to take some time to quiet him down on that for sure

Crl

Post by Crl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 am

So how long are you using for drops?

crl

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am

19" drops I made the chains 17" and with the swivels it came out to 19" I had them about 2' but they could touch face to face so I shortened them up. The overall length on the main chain is 18' cost me about $ 35 to put it all together

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:03 am

SettersRus wrote:IMO I would have 5 or 6 drop lines. Then if one breaks or your out with a couple of buddies and putting their dogs on it, you have the room. It's easy and cheap to build make room for expansion. I started with one dog and then decided 2 were better than one. then decided 4 would allow me to run 2 at a time and keep 2 fresh, then decided I wanted a couple with a little less range for heavy cover. And I keep finding reasons/ excuses to buy another dog. I love em all and consider them my kids.
:lol: I like your thinking! I'm up to six now myself. :)
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:39 am

I have swivels and clips at both ends of my drop chains so that I can adjust spacing as needed. I also carry an extra length of primary chain so that I can lengthen the whole setup in case I need it for a training partners dogs.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Give them a little bit of hay so they are not laying directly on the ground, and leave a bowl of water, especially if it is warm. Fill the bowl at intervals during the day. Otherwise, don't react to their antics on the chain, or to barking. Just let them figure the chain out for themselves. If you intervene, you are teaching them how to get you to come over and rescue them.

3forme

Post by 3forme » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:14 pm

All good info! I was able to catch a local field trial this morning so for a couple hours I had my 3 chain ganged where they could see horses, people, dogs, kids etc Pup started out yapping his head off I just walked away and he quieted down quickly. I will say that he seemed like an angel compared to some of the dogs that were staked out.