Titles and Ages.......

TheMorningRise

Titles and Ages.......

Post by TheMorningRise » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:36 pm

For those who run hun tests, as an average, what would you say you have seen for ages for earning titles at the various levels (JH, SH, MH)?

I say this, with us knowing it is all dependent on the the dog and the training.

I think a bit pitfall many fall into (include me), is putting a timeline out there. I think it is a good idea to have a timeline as a way of setting goals to work towards. However, I think a timeline is a catch 22. It can force us to push the dog too fast, advancing to advanced topics before they are truly ready.

Our youngest picked up her JH at 9.5 months. My goal for 2024 was SH. She has breezed through yard work and some field work. To the point that I started thinking, heck, SH in spring and some MH passes in the fall may be possible. Could she reach MH before she was 2 in December?

Well........

We hit some major road blocks when we started transitioning to Quail and SH type runs.

Dog is steady to wing, shot and fall, all day long on pigeons with the blank pistol. Thought, nice. Well, transitioned to a "hunting" type of field, with quail and the 20ga and she went knucklehead! It only took one session before she was steady to fall with the quail (reasonably well), but not reliable and she started to lose focus and creep.

So, we are going back to a CC, launchers and birds in the air at the slightest movement.

For the steadiness, we are taking the launchers and quail to the "hunting" field. Bringing her in on the CC. Then having one person hold the CC with very little slack. I launch the birds and shoot. If she moves, I play dog and go get the bird. If she stays steady, I'll send her.

Long story short, she was entered in SH tests every weekend in April.

Based on where she is however, I'm pulling her from all tests. I pains me to do it. But, I want to go into the tests knowing she can do it (also knowing she may have a bad test or two), rather than wondering!

SH this year will still happen. Just not on my timeline!

The joys of trying to steady a Ferrari, at such a young age. LOL

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Titles and Ages.......

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:03 am

MR:
I saw a MH puppy " titled " at a bit over seven months. Everything needs to go right because he has to be 6 months to run the tests and it takes 6 passes. He was basically a robot, but he passed and was the youngest dog ever with an MH. At the time.
Putting a timeline on the dog is probably the worst possible thing you can do. Dogs are not machines they all are different and need to be trained accordingly.
The best chance you have to wreck a good dog is too much pressure. It is what the dog perceives as pressure, not what you do.
If your dog does not meet your timelines what happens. Are you going hate her or get rid of her. OR MAYBE SET A NEW TIMELINE. Maybe more suited to her personality. Give her time to fix what you screwed up by going to fast
I use a lot more encouragement, birds and pats on the head than equipment and commands. Good Luck...........Cj

PS. After my first two MH dogs, I only run tests at the master level. They learn bad habits in junior and senior. Plus if master is my goal,I just train to that level

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Titles and Ages.......

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:56 pm

A timeline is determined by the dog, not the trainer. I believe in pushing dogs to the limit of their ability. Brilliant dog get bored if kept at the same level or task for too long. A good trainer pushes a dog when it can be pushed but never pushes a dog past its ability. Some people can do it, some can't. It's all about being able to read a dog.