Garmin 550 Problems

ddoyle

Garmin 550 Problems

Post by ddoyle » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Folks I have repeatedly heard how exact the the positioning is on these devices. That has not been my experience! I have paired them numerous times and calibrated the handheld. Any suggestions
collar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle

Garrison

Re: Garmin 550 Problems

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:54 pm

I don’t have experience with the 550, can you adjust the refresh rate on it? With my astro, the more data the handheld receives, the more accurate it is.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:10 pm

I just calibrate it. This picture was taken while the transmitter and watch were laying on the collars.
Doyle

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:40 am

Did I post this in the wrong thread?
Doyle

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:06 am

I don't have a 550, But I have a couple friends that do. One of them told me you have to update the software on the controller and collar at least once a year to keep it up to date. He said he can't update it on a MAC computer & has to do it on a Windows computer???? Good luck getting your problem fixed. :(

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:19 am

ddoyle wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:40 am
Did I post this in the wrong thread?
Yes. I moved it to " General Chat" as there is nothing else appropriate.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:07 pm

Thank you both! I will look into the updating

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:47 am

I have a Garmin Pro 550+ and the exact problem you described. I updated both the collar and handheld on a Windows computer, unpaired and repaired the collar, tried everything I could think of, and it's still the same a year later. I eventually gave up trying to fix it and got used to an approximate location. It doesn't really bother me anymore, although I still do kinda wish I would've opted for an Alpha.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:35 am

Wow. Impressive. You are quite the techie. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

HerringBone

Post by HerringBone » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:18 am

I use the Pro 550 plus a lot. One thing that has always been the case for me is that it is least accurate when the collar and the handheld are very close together, as in your test. I have the collar on my dog as I walk on a 6 foot leash a lot and the positioning is never accurate in that situation. However, as soon as the dog gets a little space between us, the positioning is much better. I don't mind that the positioning isn't precise when the dog is less than a few feet away because I don't need it when they are that close.

The other two details I would point out are that the positioning will never be accurate indoors, if that is where you performed your test? And finally, there's always a small time delay. So, if my dog is running fast back to me, the handheld may suggest that he's 100 yards away, when I can see he is clearly more like 10-20 yards away. That's simply because he was 100 yards away a few seconds ago and the handheld hasn't updated just yet. I forget what the claimed update rate is, but in practice it feels like the position estimate in the handheld is where the dog was 3-5 seconds ago. So, again, of he's running fast, it won't be super accurate over a short distance. The farther away the dog is, the more accurate it'll be.

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:49 am

Garmin has very good telephone support...............