Looking to add a pup….

Bduke7645

Looking to add a pup….

Post by Bduke7645 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:09 pm

So after much consideration I will be adding a puppy to our house hold. I’m looking for a Setter or Brittany breeder really just looking for opinions as I don’t need a 1000 yard dog I would like a closer working dog, we do a fair amount of quail and woodcock hunting but we make are annual trip to the Dakotas/kansas to pheasant hunt. The dog will be outside during the day and inside at night ( if that matters as well as we have kids) I have a shorthair now which we love! But life is too short to only have 1 breed!!! Please let me hear some opinions!!

Thanks !

P.s were on the east coast if anyone has a breeder

wihunter

Re: Looking to add a pup….

Post by wihunter » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:25 pm

You can get a setter or Brittany that will run 1000yds or 100yds. Find a breeder that breeds closer working dogs. Are you willing to travel for a pup? If so I could have some recommendations for you on setters

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:51 am

A good dog will adjust it's range to the terrain it is hunting. Further on the prairies, shorter in the woods. Every dog comes with it's own built in range. We can CONTROL that range which is a pain in the butt, but really, we can never change it. To get the dog close we'll be hacking at him all of his life. It's a little harder today to get slower, close working dog's because there is today, an emphasis on long range. Still, you are looking at two breeds that like, in general, to work close. I'm not going to recommend a specific breeder for either breed, you'll have to contact the breeders, call some of the owners of their dog's, and make the decision yourself. Shouldn't be hard to do with the breeds you're looking at.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:16 am

bduke -

I have seen dogs of both those breeds that comfortably run in front of a walking hunter AND I have seen dogs of both those breeds that can fade to the front in front of a horse. On occasion they are even the same dog. As mentioned, most good dogs have an elastic range...tightening up in heavy cover and reaching out in the open.

That being said, I would concentrate my search for setters on Grouse dogs, because, to hunt grouse effectively, the dog HAS to maintain contact in heavy cover. The best of the grouse dogs do that and I believe that is genetic.

As far as Brittanys go, I think you are somewhat more likely to find a dog that wants to hang with you, than one that wants to hit the horizon. Truly big running Brittanys are, I think, not all that common, but Brittanys that WANT to be with you are pretty much the standard.

Most setters are personable and good company. My impression of the typical Brittany is kinda like... "I'm HERE, so when does the party start?"

Good luck on your search. You should have plenty to pick from in either breed.

RayG

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 am

If you want a dog that keeps withing gun range, you might consider a bracco Italiano.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:32 pm

MNTonester wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 am
If you want a dog that keeps withing gun range, you might consider a bracco Italiano.
I thought you told me that all The Best People had Standard Poodles. :wink:

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:10 am

Having previously owned Britts and now a setter, I would go with a setter. Without denigrating an entire breed, my setter is 10 times the dog either of my britts were.

pgidley

Post by pgidley » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 am

NEhomer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:10 am
Having previously owned Britts and now a setter, I would go with a setter. Without denigrating an entire breed, my setter is 10 times the dog either of my britts were.
Where is your setter from? Always looking for leads on good lines. PM me if you prefer.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:13 am

I got him 8 years ago from Kyle Warren. Kyle's a top notch breeder and trainer. His site is:

https://paintriverllewellins.com/

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:50 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:32 pm
MNTonester wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 am
I thought you told me that all The Best People had Standard Poodles. :wink:
you are correct, :lol: however, everything I've read about the bracco says they hunt close and at a reasonable pace

pgidley

Post by pgidley » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:24 am

NEhomer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:13 am
I got him 8 years ago from Kyle Warren. Kyle's a top notch breeder and trainer. His site is:

Nice! We have a pup lined up with Kyle already. I really like how he's breeding his dogs, it lines up perfectly with our hunting style and what we're looking for. Kind of keeping an eye out for a #2 but maybe we'll end up getting the second from Kyle as well. I've heard lots of good things.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:40 am

pgidley wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:24 am
NEhomer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:13 am

Nice! We have a pup lined up with Kyle already. I really like how he's breeding his dogs, it lines up perfectly with our hunting style and what we're looking for. Kind of keeping an eye out for a #2 but maybe we'll end up getting the second from Kyle as well. I've heard lots of good things.
He's terrific. If I was get another setter, it would be from Kyle. He's pricey but he's one of the best for sure. Would love to see pics of your pup when it arrives!