Always a hard choice.....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Always a hard choice.....

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:00 pm

Not a good day for me today ; I had to put my 11 year old dog down yesterday. Woke up yesterday and he couldn't walk ; turns out he had Cushing's disease. Very expensive to find out whether the tumor was on his pituitary gland or on the adrenal gland. You have to know that before giving meds. Also very expensive to treat it once you know, and no promises it will improve. So......although it is never easy to put a dog down.
Highly likely it will be my last dog , but never say never. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Always a hard choice.....

Post by slistoe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:19 pm

Terribly sorry to hear that. It is never easy. Had to put two of mine down a couple months ago - one was 17 years old and couldn't see or hear anymore, the other had cancer that they had given her 3 months to live 3 years ago - we were blessed to have some extra time with her.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:27 pm

My condolences. There is a recurring discussion around here that Oscar may be our last (he's only 8YO and hopefully has a good ways to go). We're not getting any younger and anticipate it not being easy to deal with a new dog when the time comes. I've got enough mobility issues of my own. But, never say never. Let us know when the next pup comes into your home.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:38 pm

Sharon-

We all hope it never gets easier to make that decision. I have said goodbye to three of mine over the last couple of years. They were all up there in years and were on the downslope, but it still hurt.

Never say never. Peace be with you.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:45 pm

Thank you gentlemen.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Your dog would not have wanted to have been with anyone else. You did your best for him, and he felt very lucky to have been with you. And he was.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:44 am

So sorry Sharon. These kinds of posts are the worst thing to come across at this site but are also the core of our community.

Best in the future Sharon but I do hope you consider another~

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:49 am

Sharon,
Sorry to hear that. I never think of it as a hard choice when the time comes. It is usually the only choice, The hard part is living with my choice.
I got a longhaired Mini Daschund puppy back when I was 84, she is a pure joy and with any luck at all I don't have to worry about when her time comes.
I am sure you gave your dog a good life and that makes them the winner.
Take care ........Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:31 pm

Well , I called it a hard choice this time because if I had the money( $6000.00 + ) I might have saved him. Sometimes money is a part of the decision too and that is never easy.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:17 am

I had a dog about 8 years ago get Cushings at 12 years of age. We made the same decision as you did. Always a tough one, but I think in these cases due to the age of the dog the right one.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:50 am

When I first started breeding dogs, part of my business plan was that we would not put our old dogs thru painful, expensive treatment on the chance of them living a few more years. Rather we will let them live out their live with dignity. Money was not deciding factor, since I never really had any. Quality of life was. I will admit following thru on this was very tough a few times. I also recommend the same thing for my client's dogs when ask me. I hope to be treated the same way myself.........Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 am

Sharon wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:31 pm
Well , I called it a hard choice this time because if I had the money( $6000.00 + ) I might have saved him. Sometimes money is a part of the decision too and that is never easy.
Sharon -

We do the best we can...for as long as we can. Our four legged friends do not ask for more than that...and in fact they ask for no more than to be allowed to be our friend and companion. There is, I believe, a quality component to life and without that quality component it is not really living, just surviving. You made that call for your friend...just as we all have done over the years for the friends in our care. Like I said, I hope it never gets any easierto make those kinds of calls... because then it is I who will have lost something.

Take care.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:35 am

So sorry Sharon. You and I have a lot in common. This one, now nearly 8, is probably my last one. She has suffered bad injuries while hunting and is plagued by arthritis, so, this is probably it for me. I don't have the interest in hunting I once had, and have even less interest in snow. I'd love to go south for the winters now and a dog is demanding and makes traveling a bit more difficult and expensive. I've been charged as much as $20.00 extra to keep the dog in my room. Back surgeries and Covid left me in tough condition but I can still cast a rod and love fly fishing. That's how I plan to spend my final time when this one is gone; a senile old fly caster.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:03 pm

You are so much more than a "senile, old fly caster". :) You contribution here has been tremendous. Many people have been helped.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:29 am

Sharon, I am terribly sorry to hear about your loss; one that has been with us so long is never easy to lose. They find a way into our hearts.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:38 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 am
Sharon wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:31 pm
Sharon -

We do the best we can...for as long as we can. Our four legged friends do not ask for more than that...and in fact they ask for no more than to be allowed to be our friend and companion. There is, I believe, a quality component to life and without that quality component it is not really living, just surviving. You made that call for your friend...just as we all have done over the years for the friends in our care. Like I said, I hope it never gets any easierto make those kinds of calls... because then it is I who will have lost something.

Take care.

RayG
Ray that is one MIGHTY fine post.