Predator Encounters

Ontariofella

Predator Encounters

Post by Ontariofella » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:47 am

Hello everyone! This forum has been an awesome resource in training my first gundog, a GSP who is now about 9 months old. It has been a long winter for us but it is finally coming to an end, which had me thinking about the bears waking up.

I live in Northern Ontario, and there are lots of bears, wolves, lynx in this area. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce my dogs encounters with these predators. I put a bell on her already and she usually ranges about 100 yards from me in the bush. We go for walks in the woods pretty much daily and haven't had any issues yet, but I have grown pretty attached to this pup and I would hate to see something bad happen.

Maybe this is a non-issue and I'm being paranoid, but I figured I'd ask to see if any other northerners have had experience with predators. Thanks y'all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Predator Encounters

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:02 am

I have my own feelings about bells on dog's. I think you stand more of a chance of tolling a predator (wolf) in with a bell. They know instantly when a dog is invading their territory. I never worry about bear or cats. I'd strongly recommend the Alpha 200i if it's legal where you live.

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:18 am

Interesting, I've never thought about it that way but that makes sense. As for the 200i I don't believe it's legal here, but neither is the pro 550+ I'm currently using lol🤫 I've been liking the 550+ cause I can get an idea of her direction with a quick glance, and she never ranges too far. And if I need to see her exact location on a map, I can pull out my phone and see it on the app.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:21 pm

I'm in SW Ontario. Bears , wolves, lynx are not a problem down here. Coyotes are a huge problem. Not just one coyote , but when they travel in groups. Then again many folks on here have to worry about deadly snakes in SW USA.
Running a dog off leash has the possibility of many problems.
I think you just have to keep your eyes open , use some locator device, and hope for the best.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:21 pm
I'm in SW Ontario. Bears , wolves, lynx are not a problem down here. Coyotes are a huge problem. Not just one coyote , but when they travel in groups. Then again many folks on here have to worry about deadly snakes in SW USA.
I think you just have to keep your eyes open , use some locator device, and hope for the best.
Most people in the US having to deal with that problem would carry a sidearm of a decent caliber. I realize that's somewhat difficult in Canada these days.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:08 pm
Sharon wrote:
Most people in the US having to deal with that problem would carry a sidearm of a decent caliber. I realize that's somewhat difficult in Canada these days.
Carrying a sidearm in public Canada has been difficult (impossible) since 1969.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:33 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 pm
Steve007 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:08 pm
Sharon wrote:
I know. In any case, "in public" is not what was being discussed, if I'm understanding you properly.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:43 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:33 pm
slistoe wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 pm

I know. In any case, "in public" is not what was being discussed, if I'm understanding you properly.
Legally you cannot have your sidearm out of it's lockbox unless you are at a registered firing range. Unless there is a predator problem at the registered range ..... Like you said, for most places in the US a sidearm is a great option. I was simply pointing out that such a thing has never been an option in Canada since 1969.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:37 pm

We live in a wooded area of Duluth which has become infested with coyotes. We also get the occasional bear or bobcat, but the coyotes are the main concern. My wife has encountered them a few times and some seem to be getting more bold. We both recently got our carry permits (I had let mine lapse a few years ago) mainly because of the coyotes. On their walk Sunday, Oscar scared up a grouse. Yesterday she found the remains of said bird - perhaps an owl; perhaps a coyote.

p.s. nice looking pup
Last edited by MNTonester on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:36 pm

I've often wondered about areas up there with wolves and bears in the spring. Were I am it's snakes, alligators and boars. Mayby bear spray or a bear horn would work if you can't carry.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:54 pm

Molotov:
I have never had a predator issue in Northern Minnesota or all the other states. Minnesota has that largest population of Timber Wolves in the continental USA. t
I am a bit uncomfortable with the dogs getting out too far in the Northern forests. So far we have had no problems.
I do carry a few rounds of buck shot where it is legal. Training is a different story, but we usually don't do that in the big woods.
I will take our predators over your's any day.
At least for me, the chances of doing much harm to a predator that is attacking my dog with a side arm are pretty remote.
Avoiding the situation works best........Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:53 pm

I don't worry aabout cats and bears. My problem is with wolves mostly. Wolves around, I don't hunt my dogs there. And for coyotes, they only bother me when I see packs, then I leave. had a coyote follow my Bodie in one time and I fired a shot in the air and it left. I think coyote's are basically cowards and normally avoid a dog unless they are a pack.

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:16 pm

cjhills wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:54 pm
Molotov:
I have never had a predator issue in Northern Minnesota or all the other states. Minnesota has that largest population of Timber Wolves in the continental USA. t
I am a bit uncomfortable with the dogs getting out too far in the Northern forests. So far we have had no problems.
I do carry a few rounds of buck shot where it is legal. Training is a different story, but we usually don't do that in the big woods.
I will take our predators over your's any day.
At least for me, the chances of doing much harm to a predator that is attacking my dog are pretty remote.
Avoiding the situation works best........Cj
That gives me a bit more comfort I guess. I live pretty close to the Minnesota/Ontario border and wolves are definitely what I am most worried about. I believe you can carry a non-restricted shotgun or rifle for wildlife protection in Canada so maybe I'll do that. It'll at least make me feel a bit better.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:44 am

Hi neighbor.
A shotgun with the biggest shot you can get is pretty affective.
I used to hunt grouse south of the border around Ely, We would hear wolves at night but never seen any.
Never the less when my dogs were at 300 yds on the Garmin I was a little uncomfortable.
The wolf population is fairly high around here, but it is really rare to see one in the woods. I or any of my family have never seen one while deer and grouse hunting for many years in large forests. I think I have seen two or three in my life while driving back roads. They are unmistakable when you see one.......Cj

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:58 pm

I guess I'll be taking my shotgun with me for our walks, and I'll consider myself lucky that the pup rarely gets out over 100-120 yards lol

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:10 am

I'm in Southern Ontario. Don't have to worry about lynx or wolves but I have tons of coyotes and bears around - the coyotes come right into my backyard fairly regularly. They're generally not an issue when out running through the woods although this time of year the coyotes are a little more bold with mating and puppies being born. 9 times out of 10 if we run into a bear or coyote it's because we've come up on it and surprised it - and it takes off. I don't think you have too much to worry about.

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Mon May 08, 2023 2:22 pm

Great picture of a beautiful dog!!!!!!