Construction noises and puppy

Trrrroy

Construction noises and puppy

Post by Trrrroy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:38 pm

A new home is going to be going up adjacent to my house at the same time I get my new pup this coming spring. Should I be concerned about the exposure to construction noises (nailguns, saws, etc...) at such a young age potentially causing problems with my pup when it comes to gun shyness in the future? I feel like this may be a stupid question, but this will be my first gun dog and I'm very paranoid I'm going to screw something up. Thanks!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Construction noises and puppy

Post by shags » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:17 am

In general I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs need to be exposed to weird sounds and sights so they don't spend their whole lives freaked out about every new thing they hear or see. However, if there is one particular noise that has the pup shivering and cowering, I'd try to distract him; as in if he's in the outside kennel or garage and freaked out, put him in the house with the radio or tv on, that sort of deal. I wouldn't be doing the "poor baby, let me hug you" thing though because that can reinforce the idea that the noise really is something to be scared of.
I've never done what some do, as in banging pots and pans and creating all sorts of ruckus in order to bombproof my dogs either. They've been raised with normal human activity, some of it noisier or more odd looking, and haven't had any gun shy or scaredy cat behaviors.
Have fun with that pup, you're in for a great ride.