Socialization prior to vaccinations

Birdman456

Socialization prior to vaccinations

Post by Birdman456 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Hey there - I have a 10 week old American Brittany pup that has only had her first round of vaccinations. She will get her second round next week and her third/final round roughly 3 weeks after that.

We have been doing some light obedience work and crate training - to which she has been doing really well. We have been trying to socialize her as much as possible but are unsure of “safe” places to let her run free. Our vet scared us when she recommended avoiding public places until the pup is fully vaccinated (avoiding risk of parvo). We live in more urban area so most of the public land nearby is crowded with other dogs. Unfortunately we don’t have any friend with large yards/property.

We have been carrying her everywhere in public (Home Depot, grocery store, beach, etc) but I’d love to let her run free on grass or in the woods. 15 weeks seems awfully long wait and I don’t want to miss out on valuable socialization time.

Any and all advice or input is appreciated

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Socialization prior to vaccinations

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:09 pm

I never, at any age, take my dog's anywhere there's a lot of dog's. Dog parks are the worst. If you have a bird dog, you MUST have access to land around you somewhere. If you don't, there is probably no point in you having a bird dog. I never worry about dog's socializing with other dog's. I do like them socializing with as many people as possible and that's easy, no matter where you lie.

Birdman456

Post by Birdman456 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do have access to a decent amount of land but its all public (think hiking trails, etc). I guess what I’m trying to ask is how cautious do I need to be prior to her being fully vaxed? I initially thought very low traffic areas would be fine but the Vet is making me second guess.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:49 pm

I always counselled new puppy buyers to ask their vet - they are the ones that are in tune with the incidence rate if things like Parvo in your area. Whatever harm you think may occur from not taking the dog out where other dogs are will be miniscule to the harm that would come from having a pup with Parvo.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:55 pm

Well said.
As you said Birdman, I always took my dogs to places where socialization with different kinds of people , children , etc could happen. I believe that is essential. However , I waited as long as my vet advised to introduce my dog to other dogs... usually 14-15 weeks. If you walk your dog around the block etc, don't let it smell other dogs' feces etc.
See page 3 for what can be happening now:

https://pupford.com/puppy-socialization/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:37 pm

I've never waited for shots to take my puppies out in nature.

I avoided areas like dog parks or heavily used trials.

Never had a dog get sick taking them to spots I find wild birds.

I am also in the group that avoids dog parks 100%. I feel a well bred dog gets enough socializing with friends coming over, their dogs, kids friends coming, going for walks around the neighborhood etc.

I never really saw the good taking my dog into home Depot, Cabela's, or PetSmart. Too much bad can happen in those types of situations compared to any good that could come of it.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:23 pm

Not much else to add except to point out, there are a whole lot of future risks that must be calculated when owning bird dogs. There is good reason many of us know our veterinarians on a first name basis, some in multiple states and still this is one that anyone with any experience avoids. Bird dogs find enough trouble on their own. If you have ever seen, or had the helpless feeling of watching Parvovirus take a dog as your vet and I am sure some here have, you would heed his/her/their advice. It is a terrible disease and a horrific end which should be, and is avoidable in most circumstances. I still manage to find plenty of fields and plenty of people.

Garrison

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 am

Birdman:
Garrison is right.
I lost a puppy that I bought from Parvo. That was the worst dog experience I ever had. It was a lot of years ago and it is still hard to deal with.
I don't buy puppies from breeders who do their own vaccinations since then and I never take unvaccinated puppies to public dog areas.
The first shots very likely do nothing because of the mother's immunity.........Cj