Dog bedding

Elhewramblinman

Dog bedding

Post by Elhewramblinman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:44 pm

Alright. Looking to see who uses what for dog bedding. Had a guy approach me about using red cedar stating that it will or can affect their nose. If this is obviously true I want to use something else. I am apparently deathly allergic to straw. Please let me know where you live, and where you buy the bedding of your choice. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: Dog bedding

Post by Garrison » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52 pm

If you are not allergic to it, I much prefer using a grass hay. Much less dust than straw, and it doesn’t break down nearly as fast. If you use shavings alone, the dogs will get to the bottom of them in short order. I have added some cedar for bugs in the past, but in recent seasons just Timothy Grass hit with a bit of horse spray for the critters. Attached is an article from the builder of some of the best dog houses around.

Garrison

https://www.k-9kondo.com/news/7/Doghous ... table.html

Elhewramblinman

Post by Elhewramblinman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Garrison
I saw that I can get a thing of Timothy grass from TSC. That was my next option. But have you seen any negative effects from the cedar and the dogs nose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:44 am

No, but I wouldn’t know how to quantify that even if it did. I only used a bit of it sparingly mixed with other material. I have heard the same, but never verified. The fact that wood chips of any kind don’t hold up as well, don’t work as well as an insulator and don’t stay in the house very well, is enough for me to look elsewhere. I live in a very mild climate, so bedding is not much of a concern most of the year. When I do travel to higher elevations or out of state, I bring their dog houses and use a couple flakes to fill the dog house almost to the top and let the dogs nest up. It works as bedding, as well as insulation around the side walls, and have never had a cold dog well down below zero.

Garrison

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 am

My dogs sleep on blankets or comforters on the floor in my bedroom. And these days, the same in my office. I recommend it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:39 am

There have been a lot of problems with dogs eating cedar shavings then having severe intestinal problems. If, as Steve says, sleeping on carpeting isn't an option, I have my best luck with marsh hay. Straw is horrible but marsh hay doesn't absorb as much water and has a pleasant smell.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:56 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:39 am
There have been a lot of problems with dogs eating cedar shavings then having severe intestinal problems. If, as Steve says, sleeping on carpeting isn't an option, I have my best luck with marsh hay. Straw is horrible but marsh hay doesn't absorb as much water and has a pleasant smell.
👍🏻 I found marsh hay one time and it was hands down the best. Really pliable and almost no dust. Wish I could get my hands on more.

Garrison

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:16 pm

I get wood flake bales for my horse stalls and use the same thing for the dog kennels. It works quite well for the moderately cold weather we have here. When it gets down to the teens and single digits, I tuck some grass hay in their kennels. My hay these days is mostly orchard grass and timothy. It lasts pretty good and insulates well. The dogs usually make a wall in the really cold weather to block out the drafts.

I do use some cedar chips in with the wood flakes...not lot...and have not noted any problems, scenting or otherwise. The wood chips are easy to clean out, if they get wet and the used stuff makes good mulch. The cedar does help with nasty, muddy odors.

Marsh hay(the best) is unavailable to me. Best I have found for bedding was Reed Canary grass, especially second cutting. It is long, soft and takes a loooong time to break down. Reed Canary is typically grown predominantly in areas that are wet.

Hope some of this helps.

RayG