Outdoor Kennel

Garrison

Outdoor Kennel

Post by Garrison » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:01 pm

I am in the process of doing a pretty good size outdoor room addition. I am building an outdoor living room, fireplace and kitchen along with a full backyard remodel, long time coming. As part of the project I am building retaining walls that will allow me to relocate my kennels. So naturally, I want to upgrade the whole set up. :lol: New concrete, a solid alumawood patio cover over the top, plumbing and kennels. Looking for two modular adjoining 5x10 kennels and not having much luck finding anything made of welded wire that is galvanized and sturdy. Seems most outfits have switched to powder coated panels and I don’t want to do permanent fence posts and fencing. Any suggestions? Are my concerns over powder coating legitimate?

Thanks,
Garrison

ckirsch

Re: Outdoor Kennel

Post by ckirsch » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:45 pm

I've had a kennel somewhat similar to what you're describing for thirteen years. I used powder-coated Behlen kennel panels. They still look ok from ten feet away, but on closer inspection, the spots that my male dogs repeatedly irrigated over the years are showing quite a bit of rust.

I don't know if galvanized panels would have held up any better.....

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:14 pm

https://www.priefert.com/products/dog-kennels

My set up is much more modest than what you are describing but I found these panels to be attractive and they have worked great. Not sure what your reluctance about powder coating is but these have held up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm

RatDog wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:14 pm

My set up is much more modest than what you are describing but I found these panels to be attractive and they have worked great. Not sure what your reluctance about powder coating is but these have held up very well.

RatDog,

Modest was the “temporary” tetanus trap I just hauled to the dump. This looks like Boardwalk with a couple hotels in comparison! Thanks for the link.

Garrison

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:41 pm

Garrison wrote:
RatDog wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:14 pm

RatDog,

Modest was the “temporary” tetanus trap I just hauled to the dump. This looks like Boardwalk with a couple hotels in comparison! Image. Thanks for the link.

Garrison
No worries. I stumbled on it because they sell the stuff at the local ranch supply store.

I have a fenced area inside the garage, which is heated, and a dog door to a run on the side of the house. Little cooler here in the winters than SoCal. I put a lot of time and sweat into burying chicken wire at the base of the outdoor fence in case I had a tunneler and hauling and spreading gravel. I have no idea where I came up with the chicken wire thing or if that’s even necessary. The gravel is lame, picking up the poop without getting the gravel is challenging.

I’m guessing you’re pouring a pad and then you said plumbing so maybe drains for waste? If so I am green with jealousy. I’m sure that’s what I’ll do eventually but it’s going to be painful undoing what was such a drag to do in the first place. I fantasize about being able to hose the concrete down into a drain and be done with it. Should be a sweet setup!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:42 am

I have found that the principal area of rust on my outdoor chain link kennels has always been where the metal leg sits on the base. Constant moisture and continuous contact promote corrosion. Years ago I started putting a female/female PVC coupling on each leg. It adds about and inch and a half to the spacing underneath, so I have the legs cut to compensate. The PVC raises the leg off the surface and allows any collected moisture to drain out and dry out. I have galvinized chain link kennel panels that are well over 20 years old( moved them from NJ) that are still fine and we get plenty of weather here in DE. I have also hit some "pee sections" with cold galvanizing spray. That seems to have helped those sections. I also use heavy thickness tubing and 9 ga. wire, because it lasts.

My BIL set up a kennel using Priefert panels on concrete and it was pricey, but VERY well made and it gave him good service for many years.

RayG

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 am

Thanks Ray, I read one of your previous posts about the PVC feet, and plan to take your lead. Hopefully this set up lasts many future dogs.

Garrison

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:24 pm

I have galvanized panels with 9 ga. chain link wire that are almost 25 years old. As mentioned, where the bottom of the post touches the concrete will be the first place to rust. I used the sleeves in the pictures to repair them by splicing a short section of the post and then used the pvc feet to extend the life of the replacement.

Screenshot 2022-10-20 151528.jpg
cr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:24 pm
I have galvanized panels with 9 ga. chain link wire that are almost 25 years old. As mentioned, where the bottom of the post touches the concrete will be the first place to rust. I used the sleeves in the pictures to repair them by splicing a short section of the post and then used the pvc feet to extend the life of the replacement.

Screenshot 2022-10-20 151528.jpg

cr
👍🏻